usma1992
    usma1992's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2268

Modeling question...for the board...

So far for 2013-2014 my model using last year stats went 1-4. Honestly doesn't concern me one bit. I noticed the difference between the previous year's data and what actually took place was substantial. That is why I believe you can't begin betting until Week 5...not enough stats to go on. With that being said, I decided to use the finalized stats... plug them back into the model and see what it would have predicted. I DONT use points for or against in order to determine my over/under number so it really doesn't matter if they score 60 or 40... With that being said...I have created a model based on cumulative statistics year to date... I like my relationships within the model that I have established. But I have constructed my win percentage based on cumulative data from each team competing against cumulative data from the other team.... It occurred to me that I should be looking at a week as a singular event. Than I can optimize my model around actual statistics on a certain week and compare the likelihood of a team using their cumulative data... to hit those actual statistics. I am sure I am doing an awful job of explaining it... but should I optimize a system based on data using actual statistics at the end of a weekend or optimize a system based on cumulative data vs. cumulative data.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

you have posted so little it's hard to understand. Is this for the NFL?

When dealing with the NFL in my models, I've found it's best to wait until week 7 to make bets.

marcoforte
    marcoforte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 396

I also wait until week 5. I use rolling 4 week averages and 3 week averages in my model. 4 week average is smoother with more variation in 3 week data. 3 week data though can help identify a team breaking out of a trend though there can be mis-direction. I don't believe in cumulative data since a team doesn't play the same way in week 1 as it does say in week 15.

747planes
    [Too Long]
    747planes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 334

Week 1 to 5 are the best for making profit in cfb and nfl if you are an informed bettor. Lines get sharper as season progresses.

Your model is not going to get better after week 5, books model are always one step ahead of yours.