Hombre
    Hombre's Avatar Become A Pro!

Horserace Handicapping Software?

Does anyone know of any horse race handicapping software that will calculate pace rating as well as other aspects of horse racing?

Dave Head
    Dave Head's Avatar Become A Pro!

The problem that I've had is not software. The problem is data, which is very expensive and riddled with errors. This is not likely to change soon - it's actually something of a tradition. The Daily Racing Form (and others) are independent businesses. As long as there are suckers who buy their $5 rag, why would they spend money to get it right? Skeptical? Here's what to do: Take the free past performances and results of a racetrack - Santa Anita is the one I used. Then work out your own speed rating by hand or on a spreadsheet. Limit your calculation to that racetrack only. Surprise! Horse A goes faster than horse B, but horse B gets a higher speed rating than horse A! And not by 1 or 2 points, try 20! I e-mailed the DRF and asked WTF? Their answer was "track variance" - for the same track?!

Obviously this data is not worth paying for, and there is very little out there that is free. You need both past performances and results. Some sources give one or the other but not both, and even then it's only for one race out of maybe eight that day.

If you like going to the races, what the hell. But as a money-making proposition, don't waste your time.

Mike_79
    Mike_79's Avatar Become A Pro!

Check this forum out, http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/?

There's a sub forum for handicapping software where you can research what you're looking for. The main forum will be able to help you out as well.

I use DRF's web version of Formulator. It's not exactly software, but their online past performances with access to their database, results charts, etc. You get the Moss pace figures with it as well and I'll vouch for them. I was in the market for a good set of pace figures for a while and even experimented with making my own which is way too time consuming. IMO, the Moss ones were hands down the best and it wasn't even close. If you're interested in Formulator, the DRF website has a free race of the day where you can check out a dressed down version for free. If you go that route, take advantage of a long term plan where you get the price down to $1.50 - $2.00 per card. For the information supplied, it's an absolute bargain.

As far as the 2nd poster is concerned with the difference in speed figures, the main problem there was that you used Santa Anita. The track variant there flies up and down from race to race due to how much work they do on the track between races due to the synthetic surface there. The track can get very uneven and the amount of maintenance in between races is insane. All tracks will usually change speed throughout the course of a day, but Santa Anita by far can have the biggest swing in daily variants. Not to worry though, SA will be back to dirt soon.

Hombre
    Hombre's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thank Guys for the Info,

Mike
    I hope your right about SA going to dirt soon ,
    I use to make my own pace ratings but now I cannot get decent Par Varients, I Have checked out Bris, If I buy entire meets, They cost anywhere for 150- 750 per meet, I would have to just concentrate on Calif. I'll Check out Formualator . Thanks

Mike_79
    Mike_79's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you want to give Formulator a try, check out the following llink. It's just a page that has links to various blogs on it, but a few items down on the left hand side of the page there's a coupon code for Formulator. You get 10 enhanced cards for $10. I think it's normally $38 for that same monthly plan. For any extended plans, you're better off going with a quarterly or annual plan to get a bigger discount. Also, through the Public Handicapper site there's an offer for 100 enhanced Formulator cards for $150 which is a great deal. DRF runs a past performance special on the Santa Anita winter meet as well as the Gulfstream meet if that interests you. For the record, the only difference between enhanced Formulator cards and Deluxe Formulator cards is that the Deluxe version gives you access to replays within the Formulator software.

Here's the website with the coupon code: http://tbablogs.com/

One tip if you're into the pace figures within Formulator. Through Formulator you also have access to the Moss Pace Figure report. It can be accessed from within Formulator. I find it easier to read the Pace Figure report separately rather than having them show up within the pps. You have the option of turning the pace figs on and off within the program. It's basically what you like better.

Any additional questions feel free to ask. I've be an extremely happy Formulator user for a few years now.

As far as Santa Anita returning to dirt, you'll hear more after the Oak Tree meet ends once the Breeders' Cup is over.
    Last edited by Mike_79; 10-23-09 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling

shantystar
    shantystar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 117

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    Does anyone know of any horse race handicapping software that will calculate pace rating as well as other aspects of horse racing?
    horseracing softwares of no use