twincities77
    twincities77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Post-Game Handicapping: How do you determine if your bet was good?

When winning a bet, it's easy just to chalk it up to "correct" handicapping; in fact very few times have I seen bettors come out and say "yeah I didn't deserve to win that one". When losing, it's seems much easier to find points about the game that cost you the bet, but still preserve your idea that the bet was "correct". These tendencies seem vulnerable to significant biases by the bettor.

So my question, how do you determine after a game if you had a good bet? It seems like this skill would be very important to good handicapping, but I don't do it myself, nor have I seen others talk about doing it. When I do see it, it tends to be fairly limited and subjective.

A bettor who uses pure handicapping should have this a little easier, specifically: Did the game go how you expected it to go, in all the facets you handicapped?

For those that use power ratings, this seems harder, although I suppose you could look at weird anomalies that popped up that you don't include in the power rating used.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

If you beat the closing number, you made a good bet. If you did not, you made a bad bet. It really is that simple.

Whether you won of lost the particular bet in question is irrelevant.
    Points Awarded:

OSUCOWBOYS gave LT Profits 20 SBR Point(s) for this post.

twincities77

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    If you beat the closing number, you made a good bet. If you did not, you made a bad bet. It really is that simple.

Could you please explain a little more? Are you saying that if I like the favorite and get them at -4, then the line moves up to -5, my play automatically has positive value?

To your second point, I recognize the actual result is not key, but the quality of the original bet, I'm asking what folks do to determine that based on the course of the game, regardless of the outcome of the bet. (If they do anything).
    Last edited by twincities77; 10-15-09 at 07:05 PM.

LT Profits

twincities77

Ok, your answer isn't quite what I'm asking, but I'm interested in what he was saying. Is it assuming that when the market closes it most closely approximates 50-50 outcomes?

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

You determine it by the action points. If you had -4 and your teams wins by 14, you beat the line by 10 pts.
    If you keep track of betting systems this way, you will find it very helpful.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by twincities77 View Post
    Ok, your answer isn't quite what I'm asking, but I'm interested in what he was saying. Is it assuming that when the market closes it most closely approximates 50-50 outcomes?
    Right, the assumption is that closing lines are the most efficient, which may not be the case with peripheral sports, but is a good assumption for the major ones.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    You determine it by the action points. If you had -4 and your teams wins by 14, you beat the line by 10 pts.
    Interesting.

But I'd like to see an added filter for games where the line at the time the bet was placed beat the closing line and those that did not. If there is not much variance between the two groups, you have a kick-ass system. If the plays that beat the closing lines did better, then you have an added filter that can make your original system stronger.

twincities77

Right, the assumption is that closing lines are the most efficient, which may not be the case with peripheral sports, but is a good assumption for the major ones.
    Thank you for the responses.

Edit: And please keep them coming if you have alternative ways to evaluate bets or more to add regarding the current suggestions. I'm very interested in this topic.
    Last edited by twincities77; 10-16-09 at 11:12 AM.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

This is easy.

Did your bet win ---- it was good
    did you bet lose but had reasons --- it was good
    did your bet lose and you feel like crap ---- it wasn't good

losturmarbles
    losturmarbles's Avatar Become A Pro!

if you do that you should weigh the points based on the closing total.

marcoforte
    marcoforte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 396

A thought provoking question. Likewise the answer by Dark Horse.

PAPSMEAR
    PAPSMEAR's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you can afford to eat after a bet it is a good bet

twincities77

What is your sense in college football regarding whether it's major vs. peripheral? Big conference vs. small conference? Nationally televised vs. not?

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

Say what? It is inconsequential whether you win your wager by 1 point or 101 points. We're not any smarter when we go 5-1 as opposed to 2-4. There are countless variables that contribute to the final outcome of games and some of them cannot be handicapped.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Did the line move in the direction of your selection by close.

If you are doing this consistently, you are beating the market and will win in the long run.

...if the market jumps in your direction after you post your bet, then the market is following you...DrBob has this problem.

wal66
    wal66's Avatar Become A Pro!

Twins, i don't have nearly the experience doing this seriously as probably most of the guys on this forum and almost assuredly the guys in the think tank but I do think there are things to look at. Yes beating the closing line is ultimately a final result that determines the winning or losing of the bet but you had to do something before the game to make the play. What went into choosing Florida -12 instead of Vanderbilt +12? You handicapped the game and you were confident but you ultimately lost the game because Florida won by 7. What went wrong up front? Florida had 4 turnovers fr loss in the game that lead to 13 points for Vanderbilt. In your initial handicapping you overlooked the turnover margin between the teams where Florida was -12 in the ratio. Had you caught this before the game it might have swayed your chose.

I'm simplifying this I know but I think you understand my point. You do your work on the front side of the game so if you are only trying to refine and become the best you can be it only makes sense to work the back side of the game as well. If you win know why you won don't just accept it. If you lose try and find if it was something you missed or just fate. We can do nothing about fate but we can learn from our misstakes.

This is just my opinion on the matter and I am in noway saying I am an authority on the subject. If you want to be the best you have to work harder, be better and develope your skills.

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Think that's pretty sound advice wal. Good post.

rk9
    rk9's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with the closing line that LT said and the by how much you win. if you have a strong play and the team covers by a lot you had a good read on the game. The only thing i would add is to take into account bad beats such as irregular scoring either for or against you (ie. ridiculous backdoor covers like the FIU-Troy game). These may not have been bad bets but you lost.

bookie
    bookie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1024

Guys who come at this from analogies to financial markets will emphasize line movement as the right metric for a value bet. People, like Dark Horse, who do some handicapping are going to favor average against the spread margin (aka actions points) as a measure of their handicapping insight. Which only makes sense. Betting and handicapping are different activities that need different yardsticks.

Carson05
    Carson05's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

good thread

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

We've all had the "right" team and lost the bet. We've all had the "wrong" team and won the bet. Stuff happens for reasons beyond anyone's rhyme or reasoning and sometimes this determines which side of the ledger we fall. Perhaps it doesn't occur on a regular basis, but it does happen.

twincities77

Quote Originally Posted by wal66 View Post
    Twins, i don't have nearly the experience doing this seriously as probably most of the guys on this forum and almost assuredly the guys in the think tank but I do think there are things to look at. Yes beating the closing line is ultimately a final result that determines the winning or losing of the bet but you had to do something before the game to make the play. What went into choosing Florida -12 instead of Vanderbilt +12? You handicapped the game and you were confident but you ultimately lost the game because Florida won by 7. What went wrong up front? Florida had 4 turnovers fr loss in the game that lead to 13 points for Vanderbilt. In your initial handicapping you overlooked the turnover margin between the teams where Florida was -12 in the ratio. Had you caught this before the game it might have swayed your chose.

I'm simplifying this I know but I think you understand my point. You do your work on the front side of the game so if you are only trying to refine and become the best you can be it only makes sense to work the back side of the game as well. If you win know why you won don't just accept it. If you lose try and find if it was something you missed or just fate. We can do nothing about fate but we can learn from our misstakes.

This is just my opinion on the matter and I am in noway saying I am an authority on the subject. If you want to be the best you have to work harder, be better and develope your skills.
    This is the kind of thing I was thinking of initially. Beating the market is great and it seems that it is one valuable tool to evaluate a bet, but it seems like there should be other indicators actually within the game like this. For example, if you expect one team to run for 250 yards, and they run for 40, then there likely was some flaw in the capping that I wouldn't just chalk up to random fluctuation around an efficient market expectation.
    Last edited by twincities77; 10-24-09 at 08:04 AM.

twincities77

Quote Originally Posted by floridagolfer View Post
    We've all had the "right" team and lost the bet. We've all had the "wrong" team and won the bet. Stuff happens for reasons beyond anyone's rhyme or reasoning and sometimes this determines which side of the ledger we fall. Perhaps it doesn't occur on a regular basis, but it does happen.
    I recognize there is random variance, however that doesn't mean there isn't also systematic things going on that may deserve some attention (and may get ignored due to biases I mentioned in the original post).

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

Quote Originally Posted by twincities77 View Post
    This is the kind of thing I was thinking of initially. Beating the market is great and it seems that it is one valuable tool to evaluate a bet, but it seems like there should be other indicators actually within the game like this. For example, if you expect one team to run for 250 yards, and they run for 40, then there likely was some flaw in the capping that I wouldn't just chalk up to random fluctuation around an efficient market expectation.
    A lot of random fluctuation can happen throughout a game. The quarterback could go down, Running back get hurt and not play. A guy you expect to carry 20 times for 100 yards goes down on his first carry and the team nets 40 yards isn't a flaw in the capping, it's random fluctuations around him getting hurt. There are lots of different ways to look at things. For me all I really care about is return..... I am making good bets if I'm getting a good return on my investment.

twincities77

Quote Originally Posted by 20Four7 View Post
    A lot of random fluctuation can happen throughout a game. The quarterback could go down, Running back get hurt and not play. A guy you expect to carry 20 times for 100 yards goes down on his first carry and the team nets 40 yards isn't a flaw in the capping, it's random fluctuations around him getting hurt. There are lots of different ways to look at things. For me all I really care about is return..... I am making good bets if I'm getting a good return on my investment.
    I'm not talking injuries necessarily, I'm talking more about in-game expectations that don't come to fruition (or maybe way better than predicted, whatever).

iLogan
    Go Steelers!
    iLogan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good thread, thanks for sharing this info guys

Arilou
    Arilou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 949

In the terms under which the question was asked (as opposed to asking whether you got a good number vs. market) my answer would be: re-cap the game now, if you were to go back and restart it. What line would get posted for a rematch under the same conditions?

Be very careful using point differentials as a metric because it is flawed, especially in football (e.g. +2.5 vs. -2.5).

shantystar
    shantystar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 117

right say!

twincities77

Quote Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
    In the terms under which the question was asked (as opposed to asking whether you got a good number vs. market) my answer would be: re-cap the game now, if you were to go back and restart it. What line would get posted for a rematch under the same conditions?

Be very careful using point differentials as a metric because it is flawed, especially in football (e.g. +2.5 vs. -2.5).
    Could you describe in more detail how you would do this? I'm interested, but it's hard for me to see exactly how one would go about this?

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

I prefer looking at the apex of the market as opposed to the strict closing number. If you have all week to bet an NFL team +6 but take +5.5 an hour before kickoff and it closes +5, you didn't necessarily make a good bet unless the +5.5 included information you didn't have previously. Likewise, if it opens +4.5 and you take +6 an hour before kickoff and it closes +6.5, you didn't necessarily make a bad bet. It can be tough to time the market close to gametime since the line can be gradually going up, and then all of the good numbers get knocked out on a steam play. If I see a number I consider +EV an hour before start time I'll often take that rather than wait because I've been burned by the buyback too many times.

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

I write down AT LEAST 3 assumptions (Team A will outrush Team B, Team A will outrebound Team B, etc) and go by that.

Dunder
    Dunder's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is based on the principle that the market is always right. In sports, as in other fields, this argument is highly dependent on liquidity/volume/action. For mainstream markets, itīs great advice, for niche markets, however it doesnīt ring true.

Karayilan9
    FENER / TRABZON
    Karayilan9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 105

Alot of people think they know a sport but are really just a fan and don't understand the comlexities of the game.

It happens alot in soccer, a good striker is injured or a high profile player is suspended and people think the team will loose but when the key holding defensive midfielder is out they will ignore it and think that's its nothing major then be puzzled about how the team played so bad and lost so easily and come out with some crazy excuse.

Good cappers are like high paid consultants, their advice is of high value because they are experts in their field, know what to look for, can see weaknesses, strengths, opportunities and threats and pin-point what to look out for.

Analyse wins like losses, after each game write a game summary and highlight the areas you are predicting well and the areas you missed. The best place to do this is in smaller soccer leagues that don't get the media frenzy, it can give a big edge.

statnerds
    Put me in coach
    statnerds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

I can only speak to the NFL on this one, where beating the closing number is as easy betting favorites on Monday for the following Sunday and holding off on those dogs until 12:59 p.m. EST on Sunday afternoon. if anyone doubts the assumption that the public is normally going to back the fav/over, log % and LM for every game this season, or read any recap of the weekend Vegas had throughout the football season.

as for CLV (closing line value), agree that if you are beating the closing number the majority of the time, you are doing something right. if you are capping your own games, you would want to chart the CLV on your wins and losses. are the nubmers similiar?

as for knowing you had the right team, again, i can only speak of the NFL. here is a free tidbit from my growing database. Since 2006, the NFL team that wins ITS (In The Stats) wins SU 70% of the time and wins ATS 64%.

quick example of right team from last week might then be the Pittsburgh Steelers who outgained KC 505-285 or some ridiculous number and lost outright. right team/wrong result.

just part of the reason i will be backing SD this week as long as i can get 13.5 or less. you can't fix the 32nd ranked D from '08 by signing an unproven, over-rated $14 million/yr QB.

finally, i would remiss if i did not add that being on the wrong side of CLV doesn't necessarily mean you capped something wrong. it might mean you were wise enough to take all the info, digest it and pick up on that one thing that everyone missed. for instance, take a look at the Pats and Saints rushing totals from last week and tell me if you like Ov or Un on MNF. everyone will focus on the points the teams are scoring and the phenoms at QB. but neither team wants the other's O on the field.

GL

12 Last