Miz
    Miz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3162

Omitting older data from training set

I wanted to gauge other people's experience with this. I found that although my MSE or Abs error goes down marginally when i include more data (older seasons) in the training set, the performance actually improves when i only include the 2 most recent seasons in the training set. I hypothesize that it helps adjust for league changes etc, but as always limitations on dataset size are always somewhat limiting with resp to establishing statistical confidence, etc. I am looking at the NFL right now, but have seen this in other sports too. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience they'd care to share on this topic? Thanks.

brettd
    brettd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

You should weight the data somehow.

Maybe use exponential smoothing or some other time series smooth technique. Optimize the weighting/smoothing parameters on a training set (I have used evolutionary algos quite a lot doing this very same thing) against MSE/MAE, and then test on out of sample set.

Miz

Good thoughts Brett. Thanks for sharing them.

TravisVOX
    TravisVOX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 861

I found that exponential smoothing worked well for me. I spent a few hours on my test data determining the optimal rate to "smooth" and then committed to it.

Juret
    Update your status
    Juret's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1239

Is smoothing always a good idea? What happens with your predictions when teams regress to their means after being extra lucky/unlucky? Another issue could be player injuries and or suspensions. With a key player out temporarily, that team will look worse than they actually are as the games without the key player are weighted more heavily.

Miz

Thank you all for your feedback.

marcoforte
    marcoforte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 396

This past off season I was running binary logistic regression. Test data was 2012 NFL over/unders. The learning set varied from 4 year 2008-2011 to two year 2010-2011. I found that the predictive power was stronger using the model derived from the 4 year data.