Dimwhit
    Dimwhit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Can someone decent at html/js tell me where NFL.com boxscore data has gone?

Sorry to post this here, but since I know a number of you are experienced HTML and javascript gurus, I'm hoping someone can help out.

I'm using a screen scraper to get the box score data from NFL.com. Normally, I would use the screen scraper to open up the NFL.com gametab and scrape the boxscore data from the HTML code. Easy. Been doing it for quite some time. Unfortunately, sometime this week, they changed the source code. Now, the boxscore shows up when rendered in my browser, but there is no longer any data in the HTML for me to scrape. Paste the following in your browser and you'll see the box score data,but if you view the code, there is no data there. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200908...ns#tab:analyze

Is there something in the code that references the data instead of explicitly having it in the html?

MrX
    MrX's Avatar Become A Pro!

Haven't found it, but I like this comment in the source:

//moved all the functions into s_code_common.js until we can overhaul this atrocity

MrX

How's this?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200908...ravens/analyze

I don't know if it's in the same format that you're used to, but the data's in the source.
    Last edited by MrX; 09-02-09 at 01:05 PM.

Dimwhit

Haha! Yep, it's in there, in almost the exact same format that it was in before. Some minor changes and now the scraper is running as before. I thank you and my 'ctrl-c' and 'ctrl-v' thank you...as I've spent the last 2 hours manually updating my database.

Out of curiosity, why did you look at /analyze instead of /analyze#tab:analyze? Obviously, the latter does not contain the relevant information...but how did you know to check just /analyze?

Once again...thank a million.

Dimwhit

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    Haven't found it, but I like this comment in the source:

//moved all the functions into s_code_common.js until we can overhaul this atrocity

I saw that in the source yesterday and had a laugh. I'm always surprised and amazed at what I find in comment sections. It always seems to be in sites that are so slick looking on the outside....

MrX

Quote Originally Posted by Dimwhit View Post
    Out of curiosity, why did you look at /analyze instead of /analyze#tab:analyze? Obviously, the latter does not contain the relevant information...but how did you know to check just /analyze?

Once again...thank a million.
    I was looking through the source for /analyze#tab:analyze and saw /analyze referenced.

No problem. Been there before, glad to help.

NSN21
    NSN21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7886

Looks like they might have changed it again since this thread was updated. I'm having a similar issue as OP.

Any chance someone can take another look at the current design and see if there's a way to get the info again?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200609...alyze=boxscore