indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

OK Sharps, need some legitimate help for a bowling bet.

All things being equal (lane conditions, good health, etc..) for our contest, we have Joe and Fred who bowl in the same league. They have averages which have been created by the last 2 years of games, which is around 250 games for each. Let's say for arguments sake that their averages are spot on.

Joe has an average of 190, Fred has an average of 210.

What's an accurate vig-free ML for a standard one game/10 frame contest between the two?

Fall778899
    Update your status
    Fall778899's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fred -300

indio

Quote Originally Posted by Fall778899 View Post
    Fred -300
    Do you have a math based formula to predict that Fred will win 75% of the time, or is this a "gut feel" line?

buby74
    buby74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21207

Get their standard deviations, square them, add them together, take the square root and that gives you the standard deviation of the difference in scores. Divide this by the difference in the averages and this gives you a z score of the difference which allows you to work out the probability. This approach assumes the scores are normally distributed which is a reasonable starting assumption.

indio

Quote Originally Posted by buby74 View Post
    Get their standard deviations, square them, add them together, take the square root and that gives you the standard deviation of the difference in scores. Divide this by the difference in the averages and this gives you a z score of the difference which allows you to work out the probability. This approach assumes the scores are normally distributed which is a reasonable starting assumption.
    Appreciate the input, although some of it is foreign to me. But for this problem, assuming all we have are the averages, and not the actual scores that made up the averages, is there any way to create an approximate chance of Fred beating Joe with strictly the averages? We can assume that both bowlers may have rolled the maximum 300 at some point, although obviously Fred is much more likely to have achieved this feat. And both bowlers I'm sure have the occasional clunker of a 155 in their history, but I guess I'm trying to get an approximate probability with limited information. Having some experience in the bowling world helps someone to come up with a decent approximation. Fall778899 gave us Fred -300, I was thinking Fred -240 myself, so I'm just curious what the consensus is by bowlers, gamblers, and also math guys who might have a formulatic approach like yours with just the limited information we have listed here.

Kolotoure
    Kolotoure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 654

Don't we need the distribution of their scores and not just their averages?

Miz
    Miz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3162

You'd have to know more I'm afraid. You'd need to do something like the bill james approach in baseball, but you'd likely need to fit your own exponent using data from bowling.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7236

Without knowing deviation, could perhaps you use Pythagorean?

210^2/210^2+190^2~55%

-122/+122

Fall778899
    Update your status
    Fall778899's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gut feeling... I'm glad I'm on the high side