Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Woud you bet this Polish Middle?

"Team B" is favored over Team A by 11 points. (European Basketball)

By shopping around, you were able to find these prices.

A Team +9.5 +165
    B Team -10.5 -110

You have 2387.43$.

You have two options.

1. You can make a polish middle bet for %11 (by risking 1000$ on Team-A and 1387.43$ on Team-B)

You win 262.57$ if you had risked 2387.43$. You win as long as Team-B does not win by exactly 10 points. If Team-B wins by 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 points or 11+, you win. If Team-A wins, you win again. If B Team wins by exactly 10 point, you lose both bets though.

2. You pass. No bet.

Would you bet this polish middle?
    Last edited by Sawyer; 12-20-12 at 12:46 PM.

Peregrine Stoop
    Peregrine Stoop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 779

seems you should create a push chart

The original gift basket giver, Wong's Sharp Sports Betting, teaches how

Miz
    Miz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3162

Is $2335 your entire bankroll? If yes, I pass. If not, then how big is the player's entire bankroll?

Agree that push chart is the starting point. But staking amount is also important

Sawyer

No, no, this is not your whole bankroll amount. Your bankroll is 60,000$ approximately. (x25 of the stake)
    2387$ (%4) is just the stake you risk on that game But stake is only example, it can be any amount.
    Last edited by Sawyer; 12-20-12 at 12:59 PM.

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

Definitely go for the polish middle

Miz

OK, so overbetting is out of the picture. Yes you bet it, provided that the probability for a "push" or landing on 10 is far below 1 in 10. It is league specific, and all that jazz. If you calculate the odds of landing on 10 to be, say 4% or so, then go for it.

Sawyer

In addition,

Let's update Question this way. Would you bet this polish middle and at which % of your bankroll? We discussed it this example with friends of mine, like to hear your ideas too.

Miz

I haven't worked in all the vig etc, but I went this way. Feel free to disagree or comment. First you stand to make 11%, so the line you can get is ~ -810 or so. For arguments sake, let's say you calculate that there is an 8% chance that it falls on 10. So you think the fair line ought to be about -1150. On heavy favs when there is a significant edge, the kelly stake is large. Larger than my comfort zone. I get something like a 3.4% edge and a 27% kelly stake, but without spending too much time on the vig etc. I'd say you could lay the 4% wager and feel fine about it. In fact, you may go up to 8%. Those middles don't show up that often I wouldn't think.

this was all back-of-the-envelope. If it were real money, I might check the math a few times lol. Anyway, I'd say 4% works for sure.

CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7628

Its ironic that you start a thread like this after recently starting a thread " tactics to avoid limits"

Good luck with getting 1K on Euro Basketball at a silly price and then stay under the radar.
    Maybe you dont bet the way you post on here your posts on the subject of bet expectation leave a lot to be desired.

Austin 7 has cautioned me on several occasions for attacking posters and being negative but giving inexperienced bettors an unrealistic impression of sports betting markets is unforgivable. Its one thing to hypothesize on a fictitious situation and there's no doubt I and others enjoy the challenge but these posts should be made clear that they are not pertaining to the real world of betting.

Miz

I took it just as a hypothetical. It is obviously skewed for the example. It is still interesting to work through it, and to read how others might approach it.

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

I think I'm being slow.

How can we answer this question without figuring out the probability of B winning by 10 exactly? And I don't think we can calculate that figure based on the information given so far...

Miz

Quote Originally Posted by Blax0r View Post
    I think I'm being slow.

How can we answer this question without figuring out the probability of B winning by 10 exactly? And I don't think we can calculate that figure based on the information given so far...
    You are correct. I assumed an 8% chance just for arguments sake.

Sawyer

Yes, it was a hypothetical example. However, time to time I catch opportunities like this. Chubnut, you're living in a poor africa country I guess? Our world views are completely different. I'm living in a much different place then yours. Laying even 2-3k should not be a problem..but I don't know about you. You should not compare yourself with me either, I'm a Pro Handicapper & Trader. My stuff, network&equipment kicks azz.

My opinion is,

I don't bet polish middles often but I would bet this polish middle on any given day. Maximum %5 or %7.5 of the bankroll though. I would bet even if % was 8 or 9. But I would not bet if it was below 5, definetely.
    Last edited by Sawyer; 12-20-12 at 02:48 PM.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I think I'm being slow.

You can't exactly, but consider the push probabilities for college basketball. It shouldn't be that far off. Any reasonably similar number indicates that you should go for the polish middle.

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

The push rate on -11 is about 4% in NBA so I assume it is about the same for European basketball. It is definitely +EV for the middle. I don't use Kelly. I would simply put roughly one unit or two on each side.

Of course for one unit or two, the best play should be on +9.5 +165 and be done with it.
    Last edited by wrongturn; 12-20-12 at 03:06 PM.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

+55 cents if it doesn't hit 10. I know if this was the NBA I would pound that in a heartbeat. Anyhow, why don't you check if it would be a scalp with buying points? Also, is only 1 side off market? If so, consider only pounding that one or put more on that side.

CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7628

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Yes, it was a hypothetical example. However, time to time I catch opportunities like this. Chubnut, you're living in a poor africa country I guess? Our world views are completely different. I'm living in a much different place then yours. Laying even 2-3k should not be a problem..but I don't know about you. You should not compare yourself with me either, I'm a Pro Handicapper & Trader. My stuff, network&equipment kicks azz.

My opinion is,

I don't bet polish middles often but I would bet this polish middle on any given day. Maximum %5 or %7.5 of the bankroll though. I would bet even if % was 8 or 9. But I would not bet if it was below 5, definetely.
    Your delusional but harmless I suppose. Happy new year.

Jontheman
    Jontheman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4073

Given you're happy to take the risk of a 2300 loss then why bother covering the +EV side at all? - you're just burning +EV and you've 1/2ed your maximum loss by not covering.

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

Quote Originally Posted by Jontheman View Post
    Given you're happy to take the risk of a 2300 loss then why bother covering the +EV side at all? - you're just burning +EV and you've 1/2ed your maximum loss by not covering.
    Which side is the +EV?

Joe.

HUY
    HUY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3257

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    I'm a Pro Handicapper & Trader. My stuff, network&equipment kicks azz.
    Post of the year?

(A few weeks ago you made a big deal of how you managed to get 1.2K on a seriously outdated Europa League line, so I would put you in the minor leagues of sports betting.)

Jontheman
    Jontheman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4073

Quote Originally Posted by u21c3f6 View Post
    Which side is the +EV?

Joe.
    Generally easy enough to work out - one of those lines will be MILES off the market consensus. The only time to bet both is if the consensus lies somewhere between the two and they both have +EV against it; you'd just bet them both independently as +EV bets. They just by chance happen to form a Polish middle.

princecharles
    princecharles's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Jontheman View Post
    Generally easy enough to work out - one of those lines will be MILES off the market consensus. The only time to bet both is if the consensus lies somewhere between the two and they both have +EV against it; you'd just bet them both independently as +EV bets. They just by chance happen to form a Polish middle.

This is sharp.

But the OP has THIS opportunity in front of him, so he's looking for a case specific answer/opinion.

Always make money for your partners.
    Mayer Lansky

lamichaeljames
    lamichaeljames's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 109

bump for the comedy..

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

If pinnacle deals drop downs for this market you can easily figure the push % for this matchup.

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

I think I'm being slow.

Common basketball knowledge is enough to know that the 10 can't be worth close to 10%(probably worth 3- 4% which makes this an obv play to polish with no other info/capping involved.

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

Quote Originally Posted by Miz View Post
    You are correct. I assumed an 8% chance just for arguments sake.
    Miz no Basketball point in any league is worth even close to 8%. Most push rates in basketball are about 4% on sides give or take.

Poogs
    Poogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1346

Max bet the off market line and buy back as much as you want on the other side. Then cry when it lands on 10. EZ game

ace888
    ace888's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 112

polish middles are not different from regular bets so %2 of the bankroll would be okay