cyrusii
    cyrusii's Avatar Become A Pro!

Where to scrape NBA/NCAAB first half data?

Hi all,

I'm looking to scrape full box score type data for NBA and NCAAB for each half. Basically what covers provides, but separated by half. I can't seem to find any website for that, can anybody help please?

Also, if no such website exists, I guess I can get that data from play by play as well. Is there any website which has historical play by play for basketball games?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by cyrusii; 12-11-12 at 04:31 AM. Reason: grammar

statdude
    always sweating
    statdude's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm pretty sure folks scrape covers. I've been looking to scrape something similar, (currently working with full game scores). if i find anything will let you know.

cyrusii

Quote Originally Posted by statdude View Post
    I'm pretty sure folks scrape covers. I've been looking to scrape something similar, (currently working with full game scores). if i find anything will let you know.
    Thanks man. Just figured that cbssports has the play by play for NBA. I think I will have to scrape that then scrape covers for line/betting data.

statdude
    always sweating

I had some issues logging into to CBS but it looked like they had excellent data. Let me know how it goes for you.
    Are you just analyzing general first half trends/ATS etc?

cyrusii

Quote Originally Posted by statdude View Post
    I had some issues logging into to CBS but it looked like they had excellent data. Let me know how it goes for you.
    Are you just analyzing general first half trends/ATS etc?
    Yup - my plan is to predict second half score based on first half and previous performance of the teams. I'm new to sports betting, but do data analysis on other kind of data for a living

statdude
    always sweating

You should be able to find some good value there. I plan on backtesting the same thing, just don't have the data yet.

illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

my problem(as an amateur scraper) is that on covers the data for different days is under the same url. i.e. it's not like cover.com/ncaab/02202012. The url just stays the same.

cyrusii

Quote Originally Posted by illfuuptn View Post
    my problem(as an amateur scraper) is that on covers the data for different days is under the same url. i.e. it's not like cover.com/ncaab/02202012. The url just stays the same.
    What do you use to scrape? You should be able to get the link from the url and then retrieve that page, and then continue doing that recursively.