Gonski
    Gonski's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kelly with non-binary outcomes

Can anyone provide me with the formula for expected value (as opposed to expected growth) for n bets?

Additionally, does anyone have any literature on applying Kelly to non-binary outcomes? Preferably for multiple simultaneous, non-binary outcomes?

Ganchrow
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
    Ganchrow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1088

Quote Originally Posted by Gonski View Post
    Can anyone provide me with the formula for expected value (as opposed to expected growth) for n bets?
    Since EV is additive across multiple bets (as is the log of expected growth), it's all rather straightforward:

If the EV for the ith bet is given by EVi, then the total EV across all n bets would be simple be:

Where if we assume m > n different possible outcomes such that Xi;j is the outcome of bet i given outcome j, and pj is the probability of the occurrence of outcome j then for a given i such that 1 ≤ i ≤n:

Putting it all together then gives us:

}

Quote Originally Posted by Gonski View Post
    Additionally, does anyone have any literature on applying Kelly to non-binary outcomes? Preferably for multiple simultaneous, non-binary outcomes?
    Perhaps this post (attached spreadsheet) of Simultaneous Event Kelly (Mut Ex) with changing prices might be of some use at getting you started?

Pancho sanza
    Pancho sanza's Avatar Become A Pro!

How does one adjust a group of 5 team teasers that all have the same leg in them.

Example:

WinProb20 %Payout5.0Bankroll50000

Say I have 4 teasers, all with the same win prob & payout as above.

Full Kelly says bet $1000 on each teaser.

However given that 1 team that is unique to all the teasers, this would increase risk somewhat.

Given that, how do I adjust the bet sizes?

Gonski
    Gonski's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks very much for your reply Ganchrow.
    I think I have it.
    If I use an example you used in a previous blog:
    For a player betting at an edge of 5% and odds of -200, the proper Kelly stake is 10%. Over 100 bets, he has an expected return of 64.7% with a 36.7% probability of not turning a profit and a 3.4% probability of losing two-thirds or more of his stake.

For a player betting at the same 5% edge but at odds of +400, were he to bet the 10% stake of the -200 player, while he’d have the identical 64.7% expectation, he’d have a 73.5% probability of no profit, while his probability of losing two-thirds or more of his stake would be 55.8%.

(If no formulae are visible below, then I don't know how to copy formulae drafted in Word to the Blog, any suggestions welcome.) Please see attacment for full copy of reply.

Then: 12EV=i=1nj=1mpj*Xi;j'>
    Where: 12pj=n!j!n-j!* pj1-pn-j'>
    12Xi;j=1+O-1* k%j* 1-k%n-j-1'>

And: n = number of bets
    j = outcome or number of wins
    O = Decimal Odds
    k% = % of bankroll bet
    p = probability of winning = ( E +1 ) / O
    m = n +1
    Then I exactly match your results – thank you!

Where I was getting stuck was that I kept thinking that win sequence had to have an impact on EV. What dawned on me is that it is only relevant if you bet a set dollar (as opposed to %) amount
    12>1n*B'> OR you start factoring in the time value of money (which is only relevant over longer periods of time or when interest rates are very high).

Can I confirm that the formula for Expected Growth (EG) is:
    12EG=(1+O-1*k%)n*p* (1-k%)n1-p-1'>
    And that the Expected Growth for the above two examples is:
    EGa = 28.98%
    EGb = -71.57%
    Attached Files