lsutigahs1978
    lsutigahs1978's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Handicapper Spreadsheet

Hi all. First post; longtime lurker, take it easy on me Great site.

SIAP, but hypothetically you have 10 people in your office that you take bets from (strictly for fun obviously). I am looking to create a spreadsheet that will download site data from scoresandodds daily to not only keep track of, but also "grade" the bets; i.e. to determine which ones are right and wrong some kind of way by color code, or other method. From that point, I can easily handle the formulas for calculating the losses, wins, dollars, etc...

So essentially I am looking to create a handicapper/bookie spreadsheet. I have seen other spreadsheets on the web and here to keep up with your own bets and all, but that's not what I am looking for. I am looking to create a spreadsheet from the other end of the spectrum. I know there are some sites that offer a per player fee monthly to do this for you, but am hopeful to do this all in a spreadsheet via excel.

In my head, i'm thinking of having the downloaded site data in one tab, and then each "user" will have their own tab referencing the downloaded data for formulas. But would every day then become a different tab? Surely there are different ways of doing that, that would get quite cumbersome and create many many tabs and then become almost unusable, unless it would then just replace the daily information in that tab since the web info will always be there to serve as a frame of reference for any disuptes? I just need a little help in the creation and formulas/macros/code for doing so.

Surely someone has created such a spreadsheet? If so I would love to see one. Any and all help, tips, suggestions, formulas, etc is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

evo34
    evo34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4198

I think there are a lot of free options available online, such as http://www.footballfrenzyonline.com/.../features.aspx.

lsutigahs1978

Thanks for the reply. Looking for something more detailed, and not really wanting it to be stored online. Trying to create an actual bookie spreadsheet that will score picks and download site data.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Haven't heard of that existing but you could always do it yourself via a Web Queries in Excel.

lsutigahs1978

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    Haven't heard of that existing but you could always do it yourself via a Web Queries in Excel.
    Thanks. Any ideas what the formulas for those queries would look like?

rhino1153
    rhino1153's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigahs1978 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Looking for something more detailed, and not really wanting it to be stored online. Trying to create an actual bookie spreadsheet that will score picks and download site data.
    What do you plan on tracking for bookies or do you mean the actual picks?

lsutigahs1978

Quote Originally Posted by rhino1153 View Post
    What do you plan on tracking for bookies or do you mean the actual picks?
    The picks. Parsing the data from the site, then a series of If formulas maybe? Seems very complex.

Harun
    Harun's Avatar Become A Pro!

docs.google.com

delldog
    dogs day today
    delldog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1523

You will probably need an analytic software such as mini-tab and a lot of time to measure trends.

muffins
    muffins's Avatar Become A Pro!

As jgilmartin noted use Excel webqueries to pull down the data in to one tab, then from your bets tab use lookup functions to find the relevant team/event and score. IF formulas to result, perhaps some conditional formatting if you want color coded.

Alternative is to use python for data scraping, but would take some learning.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

lsutigahs1978

Thanks guys. Will look into all of this.

Cheers