Jontheman
    Jontheman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4073

Handicap database

Hi guys. I am looking to set up a database examining betting patterns in Rugby League handicaps. If you're not familiar with the sport, the scoring is similar enough to football (both sides generally end up between 0 and 50 points but most often somewhere near 20) to be comparable. The betting is similar too - it's just like betting on football handicaps.

What I imagine is this. Every week at the start of the weekend I would put in the "standard" handicap line available pre-match for every game. At the end of the weekend I would put in the result of every game. As my database develops I'm looking to be able to get the answers to questions like

If I back a team every week of the season what was the net result? What % of the time did they beat the handicap.
    If I back home underdogs with a habdicap of less than 4 what was the net result and % win rate.
    If I back a team coming off a 30+ point loss what was the net result and % win rate.

....and other similar questions I'm sure you can guess the type of thing. My question was - are there any pre-packaged databases for that can do what I'm after (football is a far more developed betting market than Rugby League so I thought I'd ask here). If not are there any guides to setting up such a database or advice on which software to use? I'm pretty much a novice in this area so I don't want to start inputting my data and then find six months later that I need to redo the lot.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

newbee
    newbee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

With sports lines databases it is always trial and error. I doubt you will be able to find any good quality developed database to use, especially in rugby. I have lots of data quality issues even for more streamlined sports like NFL. If you plan on starting your database from scratch, however, it will take many years until you have large enough dataset to be able to analyze the sport. Thus if you wanna build db find some sources that contain historical data load em, clean em, cross-check em.