Venkman
    Venkman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 821

Relief Pitching

Is there a way to accurately predict relief pitching in a certain game?

waiverwire
    waiverwire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 767

Quote Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
    Is there a way to accurately predict relief pitching in a certain game?
    Depends what you mean by 'accurately', and how much trouble you want to go to.

I think a decent crude measure would be to take all the relievers on a given staff, figure out their total K/9, BB/9, and GB%, and plug those into a formula like xFIP.

A slightly better measure would eliminate the relievers who aren't available because of previous usage.

Even better would be running some kind of simulation that takes into account game situations and how the manager uses each of the guys in his bullpen.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

For totals, I'd take a weighted average of everyone. For MLs, I'd use all but the closer for innings 7-8, and closer (if available) for 9.

Venkman
    Venkman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 821

Thanks guys. I stumbled upon the base runs formula and am trying to factor in the relief pitching. I'm trying to find a good site for batter vs. pitching stats. So far i like espn the best for this.

waiverwire
    waiverwire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 767

Quote Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
    Thanks guys. I stumbled upon the base runs formula and am trying to factor in the relief pitching. I'm trying to find a good site for batter vs. pitching stats. So far i like espn the best for this.
    Much easier batter vs. pitcher sites at http://www.dailybaseballdata.com

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Teampages at statfox include home/away numbers, for bullpen and starters. Can be helpful for totals.

http://www.statfox.com/mlb/mlbteam~t...eason~2009.htm