BeardedTaco
    BeardedTaco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Soccer question

I've become fairly familiar with half point values in the different American sports but still fail to come up with solution for soccer.

Ex: Team A -0.25 at -105 should equal to how much + money at -0.5? Is it always the same difference or do the books adjust according to the total for example?

My first instinct was to look at the Pinny drop down box but I know they add vig for the American sports (same for soccer?).

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedTaco View Post
    I've become fairly familiar with half point values in the different American sports but still fail to come up with solution for soccer.

Ex: Team A -0.25 at -105 should equal to how much + money at -0.5? Is it always the same difference or do the books adjust according to the total for example?

My first instinct was to look at the Pinny drop down box but I know they add vig for the American sports (same for soccer?).
    -0.25 is the same as -0.5 or -0.99

of course they add vig, but just calculate the no-vig line and go from there

turnip
    turnip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2110

It varies depending on the expected total goals, and expected scoring distribution (especially the expected chance of a draw):

Check out this weekend's matches between Aston Villa - West Ham and Leicester - Peterborough for example.

Calculate the no-vig lines and you'll notice that the price difference between these 3 are about the same:

Leicester -0.75 and Leicester -1
    Leicester -0.75 and Leicester -0.5
    Aston Villa -0.25 and Aston Villa -0.5

But the difference between Aston Villa -0.25 and Aston Villa PK is a little more.
    Last edited by turnip; 08-15-12 at 12:07 AM.

subs
    subs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

the pricing is often different depending on ML and total. i think it is also league specific.

i think you already know, but if we think about it from a book's perspective, how would they price buying or selling points. someone like Ganchrow would be able to tell us for sure but it might be based on kelly...

GL

(mathsy, i guess u don't really bet much soccer, or i misunderstand but 0.25 is the same as 50% on pk and 50% on 0.5)

mathdotcom

I bet zero soccer

Betting half pk and half -0.5 has always sounded completely gay to me... just like the sport

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

I dont like 0.25 and 0.75 lines really. PK and -0.50 or +0.50 are better. Btw, Pinnacle has very "reduced juiced" lines in major soccer leagues. You can get a very good price usually much better then even Betfair.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    -0.25 is the same as -0.5
    Did you party with some Blue Jays players last night?

mathdotcom

No too busy nailing teasers early in the week so I don't miss the boat like others

LT Profits

No too busy nailing teasers early in the week so I don't miss the boat like others
    Touche!

BeardedTaco
    BeardedTaco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Is oddsportal/betexplorer the best place to find closers for soccer games? SportsOptions has some but not all the asian handicaps and not the medium/small leagues.

tukkk
    ★★★★★
    tukkk's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedTaco View Post
    Is oddsportal/betexplorer the best place to find closers for soccer games? SportsOptions has some but not all the asian handicaps and not the medium/small leagues.
    a fair amount of pinny´s closers are wrong, oddsportal has been having trouble with pinny for month+ and they havent done anything (maybe they have now)
    doesnt matter much, sbo is quite precise and overall a tiny bit sharper than pinny

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by tukkk View Post
    a fair amount of pinny´s closers are wrong, oddsportal has been having trouble with pinny for month+ and they havent done anything (maybe they have now)
    doesnt matter much, sbo is quite precise and overall a tiny bit sharper than pinny
    Pinny copies SBO for soccer anyway. Are the problems with Pinny closers in matches where they have live betting, or does that have nothing to do with it?

tukkk
    ★★★★★
    tukkk's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Pinny copies SBO for soccer anyway. Are the problems with Pinny closers in matches where they have live betting, or does that have nothing to do with it?
    i wouldnt say they copy 1:1, but they wait like 5+ h so that god forbid noone gets to hammer both pinny and sbo openers, if they are miles off
    but then again if they open, they have a new market leader price a fair amount of the time, so their still good imo

about the scraping problem, i sent an email to oddsportal on the 4th of august and got :

Hi XXX

thank you again. Pinnacle send us old data. We are currently in contact
    with them and hope that it will be fixed soon.

Regards

Jan Bartonicek
    OddsPortal.com

HUY
    HUY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3257

No it's not. When you bet at -0.25 it's the same as betting half your money on 0 and half on -0.5.

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

But you miss the aircraft carrier by not betting on soccer.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: swordsandtequila, and subs

Pot luck
    Pot luck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 788

Quote Originally Posted by subs View Post
    the pricing is often different depending on ML and total. i think it is also league specific.
    You would think so but it's not true. You can actually go straight from the ML line to handicap lines.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

of course they add vig, but just calculate the no-vig line and go from there
    pretty obvious that your absolutely clueless about soccer betting. stick with your spread and ML picks instead of making comments about sports you have no idea about.

mathdotcom

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    pretty obvious that your absolutely clueless about soccer betting. stick with your spread and ML picks instead of making comments about sports you have no idea about.
    Do you know how many times people have come in here and asked the exact same question as this
    with reference to American sports?

The thought of following soccer makes me throw up. Thankfully I make more than enough on American sports.

Juret
    Update your status
    Juret's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1239

it's obviously retarded to quote -0.25 as 50 % staked on pk and 50 % staked on -0.5 when it should be quoted "pk/-0.5". also, one shouldn't bet soccer because of the lack of rule discipline in the sport. have someone tried referees for game totals?? I bet it's a significant factor, some awards penalties more easily than others, it's just totally stupid..

Pot luck
    Pot luck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 788

Quote Originally Posted by Juret View Post
    it's obviously retarded to quote -0.25 as 50 % staked on pk and 50 % staked on -0.5 when it should be quoted "pk/-0.5". also, one shouldn't bet soccer because of the lack of rule discipline in the sport. have someone tried referees for game totals?? I bet it's a significant factor, some awards penalties more easily than others, it's just totally stupid..
    Whatever, it's just convention.

Soccer = more games = more betting opportunities.

subs
    subs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

Quote Originally Posted by Juret View Post
    also, one shouldn't bet soccer because of the lack of rule discipline in the sport. have someone tried referees for game totals?? I bet it's a significant factor, some awards penalties more easily than others, it's just totally stupid..

pass interference...

holding...

locked out refs?

ur probably right tho...

WRONGTURN said:
    But you miss the aircraft carrier by not betting on soccer.
    i tend to agree

HUY
    HUY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3257

Do you know how many times people have come in here and asked the exact same question as this

with reference to American sports?

The thought of following soccer makes me throw up. Thankfully I make more than enough on American sports.
    Then why the hell reply to a question like that, in a thread titled "Soccer question"? Just to troll?

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

That is unfair to mathy. If you read carefully, he provided hint for those players who could not find the carrier where to look for the boats.

mathdotcom

I was aware of half pk and half -0.5 but wasn't aware of the -0.25 terminology for it.

Like I said there have been countless threads made by guys trying to convert model predictions of -0.279 into a line for -0.5 or a line for pk, so I was not out of line assuming this was the case again.