rahyde88
    rahyde88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

please help! -shortcutting handicapping of statistics for my mlb/nfl totals system

what i am trying to do is find a faster way (currently takes me a few hours on a daily basis) to analyze stats and difference from the norm/average stat to calculate my own over/under line in handicapping games. Basically what i am looking to do is take AL/NL stats such as average starter era, average reliever era. average starter/reliever whip, average park rating (typically range from like .5-1.5 with anything below 1 favoring the pitcher and over 1 favoring thr batter), average runs per game scored, average batting average, average OPS, etc..
    what i do when handicapping a game total is i find the average of all these stats for every team in baseball (one for the AL and one for the NL).

Then each day i take a game, say for example SEA vs OAK and i take the stats for these two teams for the year and in the last 10 games. i then compare both SEA and OAK numbers and i combine them. I then calculate the difference from the norm or league average. i then have weighted calculations for how much each of these stats difference from the norm should either move the total line up or down from the season average runs scored total per game to create my line. if there is a a big enough difference, i place a wager of 1-3 units depending on how big that difference is.

My problem is this takes forever!! the system works great, i use it for NFL also but i no longer have the time on a daily basis to do these calculations. Does anybody have a program or know a good way to analyze/calculate statistics faster then 1 at a time? if anyone can help me with this problem it would be greatly appreciated!

tukkk
    ★★★★★
    tukkk's Avatar Become A Pro!

did i read that you are using pen&paper + calculator ?

rahyde88

yes. its soooo time consuming! i need help badly with either a program that will help shortcut this or an excel program someone has made or a site that lets u do this etc... i dont have time to spend 2 hrs each day doing these calculations on 15 games

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7236

Quote Originally Posted by rahyde88 View Post
    yes. its soooo time consuming! i need help badly with either a program that will help shortcut this or an excel program someone has made or a site that lets u do this etc... i dont have time to spend 2 hrs each day doing these calculations on 15 games
    Excel is going to be your best bet. When I am handicapping baseball, I have one workbook that holds all the stats and one workbook that I do the daily calculations in. Entering all the data into excel might be time consuming, but once it is set up, it is easy to update daily.

tukkk
    ★★★★★
    tukkk's Avatar Become A Pro!

if you havent used excel before then read about basic functions (IF,AND,OR,etc.) and im sure you can set something up yourself, even tonight maybe
    Last edited by tukkk; 07-17-12 at 01:37 PM.

Peregrine Stoop
    Peregrine Stoop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 779

OP, you're about to waste a lot of your life to get nowhere.
    If you enjoy it, go ahead and get your rocks off.
    However, I suggest you give it up now as it's like hoping a 5year old from the US will be fluent in reading Mandarin.

rahyde88

Peregrine Stoop- why do you think this is a big waste of time? please enlighten me what you mean..

rahyde88

if someone would be willing to set this up for me in excell based on the stats i want to be able to calculate this out, i would be willing to pay. please let me know. Peregrine Stoop or anyone else, if you think this is a bigh waste of time for some reason, please let me know why you believe that. i have done very well this year on mlb using this method along with on ncaa football last year. thanks for the help guys

subs
    subs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

find a stats site that is easy to copy and paste from.

go to Elance and post ur project.

IDK, but seems WAY too simple to beat MLB in the long run. maybe u should get the elance geek to backtest ur system for u as well.

shouldn't cost too much.

GL

Teamprofit101
    Gmail
    Teamprofit101's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rahyde send me an email to my sbr username at gmail....i can help you set this up in excel at no cost.

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

Would someone please, please start a thread that would be meaningful to anyone that can read what's going on? If not, OK. I will resign myself to reality in respect to this so called think tank... that it is more or less a lost cause.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Chunk, i nominate you to start that thread.

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

Been there, Kraken. I'm looking for someone a lot smarter than me to do this. Could it be you?

subs
    subs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

come on chunk, a step by step guide for beating NFL/NBA...

we could peer review 4 u

OhWilson10
    OhWilson10's Avatar Become A Pro!

Did anything ever come of this? I normally do the same thing, in a way. There are so many sites out there that have ATS and certain matchup data and stats but I would like to also build an excel sheet that I could do my own calculations and help keep track of my plays each week. There are tons out there.

degengamble
    degengamble's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

I can help with excel - I may be a horrible capper but I am very proficient in excel. I can pretty much automate any data scraping from the web - let me know

allin1
    Update your status
    allin1's Avatar Become A Pro!

outwit hub

even the freeware version can be very useful. watch the tutorials and you will know very fast how to easily make a scraper to do the job for you

after you organize your data in excel you can use vb macros to do the rest of the job. a little bit of research and you'll be fine

CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7628

"but seems WAY too simple to beat MLB in the long run"

google Occams razor !!!