Jaymun
    Jaymun's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 294

Handicapping MMA?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

There seems to be virtually no discussion on handicapping MMA here. Why is this? Is it simply because most of the contributing factors to a fight aren't able to be expressed in numbers to come up with a formula? I've tried for a long time to come up with a decent way to handicap MMA, but so far all I've been able to do is watch past fights and analyze the upcoming fights closely. I've done this with relative success, but I'm a stat nerd anyway so I've also been trying to figure out any useful formulas, to no avail.

That being said I'm particularly good at handicapping any other sports with numbers either, so I was wondering if anyone else has any success with MMA?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

brettd
    brettd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

I don't think there's enough betting events to make effort in creating a model worthwhile. Why cap MMA when you could expend effort capping tennis, football, etc with many more betting events to choose from?

subs
    subs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

i remember reading from a respected poster that MMA is more art than stats, however he did feel that there r good opportunities for this exact reason.

sorry prolly not v helpful.

GL

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Quote Originally Posted by brettd View Post
    I don't think there's enough betting events to make effort in creating a model worthwhile. Why cap MMA when you could expend effort capping tennis, football, etc with many more betting events to choose from?
    I think so. Specially tennis is amazing. Almost 10½ months/year schedule, lots of games, tournaments everyday!

Juret
    Update your status
    Juret's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1239

this should be in your interest, although I haven't watched all of it myself

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?p=5493
    Points Awarded:

jgilmartin gave Juret 20 SBR Point(s) for this post.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Juret View Post
    this should be in your interest, although I haven't watched all of it myself

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?p=5493
    Interesting...haven't watched it yet but have been considering the premise for a while now. Thanks

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3691

This site is interesting http://www.mma-elo.com/ But it's FAR from perfect.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

There are obviously certain things that you could quantify, such as: striking, takedowns/throws, submissions.

It gets rather difficult with ground fighting and disciplines. Perhaps, you could do something with position and leverage/control (among other things).

It would take a lot of work just to develop a database to quantify those things unless someone is tracking them for every fight already. You'd have to watch a lot of tape. It's not something that I'd care to tackle.

Good luck.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Also, consider how difficult it would be to quantify, for lack of a better term, "strength of schedule," given the multitude of different MMA promotions around the world. Complete clusterfuck.