a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

NHL Sample

I have a sample of 553 NHL games.

Betting the same scenario over multiple money lines (dog/fav, home/away), I find that the system goes 258-295, profiting +11.5 units (wagering 1 unit per play).

Is +11.5 units too low to consider this a decent system to play or are there enough games to equal out the variance? If not, how many + units would you feel safe playing this system?

Thanks.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

How did you do against the closing line?

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Quote Originally Posted by a4u2fear View Post
    I have a sample of 553 NHL games.

Betting the same scenario over multiple money lines (dog/fav, home/away), I find that the system goes 258-295, profiting +11.5 units (wagering 1 unit per play).

Is +11.5 units too low to consider this a decent system to play or are there enough games to equal out the variance? If not, how many + units would you feel safe playing this system?

Thanks.
    I would not feel good betting any system derived in that way

In fact I would feel sick to my stomach

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT

its betting teams on the 4th game in 6 nights, no filtering is done on moneyline, so it could be best team in league or worst.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by a4u2fear View Post
    its betting teams on the 4th game in 6 nights, no filtering is done on moneyline, so it could be best team in league or worst.
    Mathy is referring to you giving no regard to price.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Mathy is referring to you giving no regard to price.
    As soon as its narrowed in price you are too limited in games to chose from. I can provide a range, but would be a large span

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

That's not what he means.

So you maybe found some undervalued subset in the past, what happens when the market becomes aware of this factor? How do you find out other than losing all your money.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post

So you maybe found some undervalued subset in the past, what happens when the market becomes aware of this factor? How do you find out other than losing all your money.
    So what if you find some type of trend, like his for example (4th game in 6 nights), within a certain price range and then you find the average win percentage within that price range, and then bet the individual game when the price is lower than the push rate?
    Is there than value in that?

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post

The rule of thumb is that the team on 4 in 6 should be bet against heavily, and it's not a smart thing to do, but the news trends the public that way because they "should" be tired.

I hardly think my measly 11 units and small bet sizes will hardly make Vegas notice

thom321
    thom321's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4983

a4,

I think the point here is that how do you figure out what the fair odds should be for the "4 in 6" team, so that you can compare that to the odds the market is offering? If the win % is 50% in your historical sample and the avg odds offered implied <50% win %, your system would not work going forward if the market has figured this out and is offering odds that imply >50% win %.
    Last edited by thom321; 05-31-12 at 07:04 AM.

slapshot
    slapshot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23623

just bet against the team in the 3rd game in 4 nights position.
    for a 100 USD player you would have been up 2818 after the season with 108-59 record.