TheBeautifulGame
    Y.N.W.A.
    TheBeautifulGame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1102

Soccer betting question.

This question is directed towards all the soccer betting players here. When do you think is the best time to place a soccer bet? As soon as the line is up? Right before the game or somwhere in between? I suppose it can depend on the game itself but I usually bet as soon as the line is up because usually the odds are pretty decent because the team thats playing has not been reported yet (of course, this can backfire also). So when do you guys feel that it's best to place a soccer bet (or it the question could really apply to all sports)

Thansk for the help.

jayc88
    Update your status
    jayc88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1151

there is no perfect time to place your soccer bets ,
    i mostly bet on german soccer and it usually doesn#t make much difference if i bet when the lines are released 5-7 days before gameday or 2 days before since there isn't a lot of action early on .
    Most of the lines move a few hours before kickoff when the public is pounding the favs .
    If you're betting on favs or public teams getting the line as early as possible is almost always a good idea ,

TheBeautifulGame
    Y.N.W.A.

Cheers jayc88. I should just stick to what I'm currently doing. Although they limit quickly, I find that BET365 offer the odds a lot quicker than most other books I use. Jayc88 (or anyone) have any suggestions for a decent book that uploads the odds quickly (That doesen't limit you). I know many will probably suggest Pinnacle??

Neil Nollidge
    Neil Nollidge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeautifulGame View Post
    This question is directed towards all the soccer betting players here. When do you think is the best time to place a soccer bet? As soon as the line is up? Right before the game or somwhere in between? I suppose it can depend on the game itself but I usually bet as soon as the line is up because usually the odds are pretty decent because the team thats playing has not been reported yet (of course, this can backfire also). So when do you guys feel that it's best to place a soccer bet (or it the question could really apply to all sports)

Thansk for the help.
    It seems to be the case that early bets on all codes of sports & racing tend to be informative by bending the odds. The early market is often tight - the early investor may well have some inside oil, and perhaps, out of fear of information leakage, puts up with tightness. I am not much of an early punter, but, any handicapper who is good at predicting where the value will be, should also be good at predicting odds. Earlyish, but not early, seems good to me. Sometimes, you may have an earlyish look, but your ratings tell you to wait. If you have a quantified market expectation, sometimes it is rational to back something that is bad value on its own, ( x ~ P ), but with the intention of backing the complement before betting closes.

jayc88
    Update your status
    jayc88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1151

Cheers jayc88. I should just stick to what I'm currently doing. Although they limit quickly, I find that BET365 offer the odds a lot quicker than most other books I use. Jayc88 (or anyone) have any suggestions for a decent book that uploads the odds quickly (That doesen't limit you). I know many will probably suggest Pinnacle??

Pinnacle Soccer Lines are usually up on sunday/monday for the upcoming soccer weekend .
    But they don't offer moneylines at the very beginning , only the spread for the games until wed or thursday i think.
    But 90 % of the time the lines do not move a lot during that period of time.
    Best thing for you would probably be to open an account at pinnacle and use both bet365 and pinnacle until your limits get cut at bet365 lol.
    That won't happen at pinny and no book is able to beat their odds

TheBeautifulGame
    Y.N.W.A.

We'll, for example, If anyone took an early price on Manchester United to beat Everton yesterday (which was a terrible price) would be kicking themselves now. One hour before kick off, Ferguson states his line up. All teenagers (some playing their debut) and it was a draw (Everton winning on penalties) United are out of the FA cup! My point is though, that if someone took the early price (say last week), they would be feeling pretty sick. Anyone that waited an hour before the game may have got a much better price (although, it wouldn't really matter anyway). It just goes to show, what Jayc88 is correct,

"there is no perfect time to place your soccer bets"

Krtica
    Vamos a Ganar !
    Krtica's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thansk for the help.
    -Now when to take a soccer bet? Early or late ?
    It depends how you bet and what soccer leagues you want to pick?
    If you wager on popular leagues like English Premiership, Spanish Primera, Italy Serie A than its not a problem to wait becouse you can wager realy nice amounts on those leagues
    (I speak just for wagering on SBOBET, IBC , 12bet and 188bet)

-So those poular leagues are opened (I mean in asia , and thats relevant , their priceing is relevant not Bet365, not Pinnacle , which you mentioned) aproximately 7 days before the start of the game. And if you have decent knowledge for those you can choose right imediately on opening, but 7 days can bring much turn-arounds in teams, squads... So for popular leagues I could suggest to wait a bit...

-On other rare , minor leagues, like Greece B , German Regionals, some minor south american leagues , Romania, Slovenia, youthfull competitions, female soccer, all in all on other lower leagues... You can wager less less less much than those previously mention popular leagues like ENG Premiership, Spain Primera, Italy Serie A. So on this minor leagues if you have nice knowledge the advice is to wager imediately as the odds show up. But then the problem is... When they will open the asian offer for those minor leagues which you follow... (Opening is usually on the kick-off day in about 50% cases) So you must know that , to catch in time the best price, becouse asians dont know well those minor leagues... And there are around many who follow just exactly those leagues which are rated as " minors" but still asia offers and comparing regular american and european bookies still you can wager decent amounts... But the odds get ruined faster than on those popular leagues I mentioned...

-Than also it depends if you are a pro bettor or just recreational player... If you are pro or want to wager more than 1.000E/$ without being a pro than only option for you is SBOBET , IBC , 12bet , 188bet... And from time to time you will learn when they open the odds for those you follow... And can react...

-Now some other things which many like... If you prefer to be more sure, than you must wait 1 hour or 30min before the kick off... Exactly than you can see the movement in asia. And if the movement is tramendous toward some AH of some team , that means that there is a big chance, probability that that choice is a winner, I could dare to say that its a winner in about 80% chances , so from 100 picks you will pick about 80 winners , but those odds will be ruined... Now if you se tramendous movement FIRST in asia (which is a real problem to solve) than you can react fast in others... Just for these situations...

-Here I was not speaking for Pinnacle , nor for Bet365... All those copy the odds as well as the movements from asia... And to be more precise first who opens I think is SBOBET almost for all after that all other asians shortly copy those like 12bet, 188bet, IBC... And after theese 4 all others are adjusting comparing to them...
    But if we follow somewhere the line movement (I mean just on soccer) than its just... SBOBET.
    Last edited by Krtica; 04-20-09 at 06:14 AM.

TheBeautifulGame
    Y.N.W.A.

Kritica, great write up, thanks for the advice, you do seem to know your stuff. To be completely honest, I'm not a pro. I bet small amounts but I am proud to say, I have won a lot more than I have placed. A fair bit (well not on the scale that some of the pros such as yourself would wager/win) but I'm still pretty proud of my 'chump change' lol, better than losing money as far as I am concerened. Anyway, once again, cheers for the advice. (Sorry for the late reply) Have a good one!

acw
    acw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1564

Best time to bet in my point of view is live

MrLuckyPants
    MrLuckyPants's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah I think you can find the value with live betting, especially if you know what to look for. More often than not, the juice is the same as it is pre-match in the match result market so why not see how the flow of the game is going. I'm certain some of these live traders start with the opening prices and just move accordingly as time goes on.... I'm sure their junior traders are using a chart or some sort of sheet, to help them along.

Example here. If it's Barcelona v Man U and the prices are: (I'm not a soccer trader don't quote me here...just making a point)

Barca 5/4
    Tie 12/5
    Man U 7/4

If that's the closing line, and 10 mins in you clearly see Man U playing better and theyre still a dog (because the live trader is just going with the flow and not incorporating their play into the line), wouldn't it be better to back them then than before the match?

Asian handicaps in running as well - isn't there money to be made there if you know youre stuff.

Corners in running - now thats just carnage. Can it be beaten? I don't know.

I use a few UK sites for soccer and more, theyre pretty good. I like their variety and you can catch some of them sleeping on US sports.

Best of luck mate. If anyone has any advice please share with us.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

If you bet soccer, you need to study live betting. There's free money dripping everywhere in all sports, but notably soccer, US football and MLB where markets are big.

Focusing on soccer... Big books are systematically mispricing matches, especially totals. They don't care though. If you put in a 5k bet on a number that is 20 cents off, they're scalping it at a place that is 30 cents off.

johnster
    johnster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

TBG this is the kind of question you ask yourself when you can at least show some kind of profit on regular basis.

Until then just concentrate on handicapping and forget you must have best price on a market.