jane2geo
    jane2geo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3112

"how to" protect a game wager with a second wager in the second half.

Help or links to information much appreciated.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Generally this is a bad idea. You're paying more juice, regardless of what you do.

The only time you should worry about your earlier bet at halftime is for risk management. For example, if you have 3% of your bankroll on IU -3.5... If IU is up 1 at half, and the h2 line is -1.5, IU is the right side. But you might bet less on that second half bet, given your large position already on IU.

In that same game, if IU were -4 for the second half, value would be on the other side. You could bet full, or even slightly more because that bet is negatively correlated with your first one.
    Points Awarded:

jane2geo gave Justin7 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

jane2geo
    jane2geo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3112

Thanks for taking the time Justin. Short story; with some hard work I was up 1k for March. Gave it all back earlier last week. Sunday, I just needed a positive day some how, some way. By mid-day was ahead 130 with one game to go. 150 on the over 115.5 Ohio/SF game. Not looking good, 48 points scored in the first half. Second half total was 62. So was either play over or under in the second half a good idea….? Keep in mind I was hoping to offset a probable loss for the game over 115.5. Having trouble rationalizing the “negatively correlated” idea.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

I wouldn't make a bet on a total, based solely on an earlier position.

I'd study up on money management if I were you. Your emotions cannot be a part of your decision making process.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    Generally this is a bad idea. You're paying more juice, regardless of what you do.

The only time you should worry about your earlier bet at halftime is for risk management. For example, if you have 3% of your bankroll on IU -3.5... If IU is up 1 at half, and the h2 line is -1.5, IU is the right side. But you might bet less on that second half bet, given your large position already on IU.

In that same game, if IU were -4 for the second half, value would be on the other side. You could bet full, or even slightly more because that bet is negatively correlated with your first one.
    It can be profitable with totals though.