NSN21
    NSN21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7886

Question about 1/2 point values

Hey guys, I've been trying to wrap my brain around something that I've heard on more than one occasion but haven't been successful grasping it as of yet, so I'm hoping someone else may be able to simplify (or debunk?) this theory for me so I can understand it a little better.

Strictly talking football here... mostly NFL but also NCAA... I've heard various people in the industry mention that if you can beat the closing number by even a half point that it is a "good" bet (in my mind that means it's +EV).

Now I know that if you can beat a sharp book's closer (let's say Pinny) by even a half point on the numbers of 3, 7, or 10 then it's definitely a +EV bet, but I've also heard some say the same thing about other semi-key numbers such as 4 and 6.

Let's use 3 in the NFL for an example to start. If Pinny's closer is -3 (assuming normal juice for simplification), that means there's a 10% chance of a push (approximates used for simplification), a 45% chance to win, and a 45% chance to lose (using SBR's half point calculator for reference). If you can find an off market +3.5, you then swing the bet to 55% win 45% loss, which is clearly +EV since it's higher than the BE% of 52.4.

However, when using 4, for example, you would have a 48.5% of winning, 48.5% chance of losing, and a 3% chance to push if you lay the -4. If you can find a -3.5, you would then swing it to 51.5% chance of winning & 48.5% chance of losing, which is less than the BE% of 52.4, so that to me means it's still a -EV bet. (correct?)

The way I see it, you would need to at least gain 1 full point in order to make this a profitable bet (such as taking +7 when the market is +6), so I'm wondering why some consider -3.5 ticket when the market is -4 a good (+EV) bet in the absence of any other information or opinions? Perhaps our definitions of a "good" bet differ? Maybe laying the -3.5 helps to come back and go for a middle later (although laying -3.5 and taking +4.5 is not a profitable middle at -110).

Any thoughts? Just trying to understand this a little bit better. Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by NSN21; 02-24-12 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Misspelling

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

No the goal is to beat the NO-VIG Pinny closer Using your example, -3.5 -110 does not quite beat -4 +100 since the latter is equivalent to about -3.5 -106.

AlwaysDrawing
    AlwaysDrawing's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

Football is a little different because of the way scoring works (mostly 7s and 3s), but in general if you beat the no-vig closer (as LT says), you'll be profitable.

NSN21
    NSN21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7886

Thanks LT. Calculating the no-vig line of a given pointspread and trying to beat that makes much more sense. I don't know why that didn't cross my mind before. That's all part of the learning process.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

simply beating the no-vig closer isnīt gonna do it

Winner_13
    Winner_13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1087

durito are you saying if u beat the pinny no vig closer you are not going to profit regularly?

Poogs
    Poogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1346

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    simply beating the no-vig closer isnīt gonna do it
    in a liquid major market like NFL? of course it will.

durito
    escarabajo negro

So pinny is dealing no vig nfl lines now?

Winner_13
    Winner_13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1087

durito expand a bit more please. I am not following

durito
    escarabajo negro

Say the fair line on a game is -103/103. Pinny has -104/-104. Say everyone in the market (except poogs of course) knows what the fair price is. Thus, no one bets the pinny line as there are no +ev plays offered so the closer is -104/-104.

No vig is +100 so poogs bets +101 with his local for $750 and like most of his wagers he has a -ev play.

Poogs

Anytime pinny deals a line right around 0 I would assume the no-vig falls anywhere in between and only make a bet if it was arbable.

Your facisination with me is scary though.

durito
    escarabajo negro

Lol, why "right around 0".

What if itīs -200/180 or -5000/4000 is the no vig line now likely to be more or less accurate? How do you pinny isn`t dealing a biased line?

Poogs

compare to matchbooks line whenever its close

durito
    escarabajo negro

lol

Poogs

dont even know why im engaging you...I dont know what your deal is with me. Obv its possible that pinny deals biased lines, but in the long run if you beat their no-vig line in major liquid markets you will make money.

durito
    escarabajo negro

by how much 1cent 5cents? big difference.

you are a ******* tool that doesnīt understand anything

Poogs

u mad?

durito
    escarabajo negro

nope. bored waiting for a plane. watching you make an ass of yourself at multiple forums at the same time.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by Poogs View Post
    compare to matchbooks line whenever its close
    Matchbook long ceased to be an originator of lines/moves.

subs
    subs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

Say the fair line on a game is -103/103. Pinny has -104/-104. Say everyone in the market (except poogs of course) knows what the fair price is. Thus, no one bets the pinny line as there are no +ev plays offered so the closer is -104/-104.

No vig is +100 so poogs bets +101 with his local for $750 and like most of his wagers he has a -ev play.
    i'm prolly not getting it but why would pinny deal such a line? doesn't it work off the market and pure volume...i mean i thought they put up a line and let the market shape that line...

or do u think they lean because of over exposure vs rec books?

durito
    escarabajo negro

Let's say that is their opener. Since everyone in my hypothetical (except poogs) knows the fair line on the game, there are no bets at pinny. The vig itself if what prevents the odds from moving to where the no-vig is the fair line.

Whether they shade lines is another question.

mikew
    mikew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 720

this makes sense. so beating the no-vig closing line still might not be enough to put you in profitable territory.

but like you ask, what is the cutoff? if you can beat the no-vig closer by 5 cents can you be confident? how much does it take for you to you ever be confident? this is the conceptual problem i'm having in regards to sports compared to poker.. its hard for me to quantify how big an edge really is..

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    this makes sense. so beating the no-vig closing line still might not be enough to put you in profitable territory.

but like you ask, what is the cutoff? if you can beat the no-vig closer by 5 cents can you be confident? how much does it take for you to you ever be confident? this is the conceptual problem i'm having in regards to sports compared to poker.. its hard for me to quantify how big an edge really is..
    Best case scenario is finding a line scalpable at Pinny, so beating by 5 cents is usually good vs. 8-cent line.

mikew

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Best case scenario is finding a line scalpable at Pinny, so beating by 5 cents is usually good vs. 8-cent line.
    but then the question becomes scalpable when? if you find a scalp mid day on a basketball game, and take it, at that moment you may have a profitable bet, but there is still plenty of time for the line to move, and you may not even beat either the closer or the no-vig line

LT Profits

but then the question becomes scalpable when? if you find a scalp mid day on a basketball game, and take it, at that moment you may have a profitable bet, but there is still plenty of time for the line to move, and you may not even beat either the closer or the no-vig line
    I am not talking about pure simultaneous scalping, what I mean is that if the line you get ends up being scalpable to Pinny's "vigged" closer by even 1 cent, you are probably +EV. i.e, you get +112 on dog, line closes -111/+103. You beat beat no-vig line by roughly 5 cents on a 8-cent line.
    Last edited by LT Profits; 02-29-12 at 07:46 PM.

mikew

ok yeah i understand that. but lets say instead of at close, those lines are at 3pm for a basketball game. you get +112 while pinny is showing -111/+103. you think you have an arb and play the soft side. right now you can assume a +ev bet. however, theres still 5 hours to tip off. what if the line closes at -135/+125 ? if you are merely playing the inefficiency of the slow book, you have no way to know that the line will move for or against you. how do you handle this dilemma?

LT Profits

ok yeah i understand that. but lets say instead of at close, those lines are at 3pm for a basketball game. you get +112 while pinny is showing -111/+103. you think you have an arb and play the soft side. right now you can assume a +ev bet. however, theres still 5 hours to tip off. what if the line closes at -135/+125 ? if you are merely playing the inefficiency of the slow book, you have no way to know that the line will move for or against you. how do you handle this dilemma?
    That question deserves it own thread since you are switching subjects from BTCL to scalping. . I am not sure if scalpers "handicap" games, but from a BTCL perspective, your scenario still comes down to whether or not you think the Pinny line will move further, as edge is judged against the closing line. In other words, go for the mid-day soft side if you cap the Pinny line at that time to be about where you expect it to close (or you think it will continue to move away from the soft side), NOT merely because the scalp exists. And if you cap the line to be closer to the soft line, you are actually predicting that the pinny line will move that way and the scalp will go away so pass on it (assuming your capping method is solid).

LT Profits

you have no way to know that the line will move for or against you.
    As for this part, it this not the very essence of what you are trying to accomplish? Your entire goal should be to find some method that beats the closing line more often than not.

mikew

yes i guess this is what it comes down to. the goal should be to find some method that beats the closing line. i take it that you are suggesting that you cap and model games and bet early while the line is soft and if the line moves in your favor and you BTCL then you can be sure your capping is on the right track.

i was asking about the method of line shopping and looking for arb opportunities with slow books. in that case you can only be sure to BTCL if you are cross checking very near the close