Highness
    Highness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Pinnacle arbitrage timing

I have a quick question about the best time to put on pinnacle arbs. I have access to bodog lines through a local and when I say pinnacle arb I mean in the context that I only place bets where I am getting a better price than the no-vig pinnacle line. In theory, pinnacle lines in big markets are efficient so this is profitable. I do not bet both sides, just the inefficient line.

My question is on the time of day to place my bets. Lines are 5pm are sharper than 11am. If I see a 5 cent arb opportunity at 11am, should I bet my full unit right then? Or should I only be arbing afternoon and beyond lines? Is there a reasonable line to draw to put my bet down in the morning, say an 8 cent or better arbritrage or is it just better to stay away from arbing morning lines altogether? thanks

Sportsguy_USA
    Sportsguy_USA's Avatar Become A Pro!

Interesting highness....any good sources to learn more about artibrage betting?

mikew
    mikew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 720

its a good question. finding an arb-able line in the morning might seem profitable since the offmarket line is available at the time, but later in the day pinnys line might sharpen to where your earlier bet is not looking so hot anymore.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

this is typically a futile attempt these days but gl

Highness

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
    this is typically a futile attempt these days but gl
    Do you say you this because you don't think pinnacle's lines are sharp enough? If this is the case, what do you think the minimum arb edge needed is to be exceedingly confident in at least breakeven? 2 cents, 5 cents, more?

Or are you saying this because you think the opportunities to find lines that are cheaper than the pinnacle true line are rare?(this would be incorrect, btw)
    Last edited by Highness; 02-18-12 at 05:41 AM.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why don't you figure out on your own?

Lazy ass people begging for free handouts

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

The further from post you are, the more likely lines are to move (either way). In the case of a dramatic move, changing an early wager to an automatic win or automatic loss, an unexpected line move tends to move your plays towards coin-flips. Not completely, but it adds variance.

If I can choose a half-scalp early or late, I would always take it right before the game started.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    The further from post you are, the more likely lines are to move (either way). In the case of a dramatic move, changing an early wager to an automatic win or automatic loss, an unexpected line move tends to move your plays towards coin-flips. Not completely, but it adds variance.
    If I can choose a half-scalp early or late, I would always take it right before the game started.
    Huh?

Highness

Yes, variance is not a concern. Does this mean that you still expect late morning and early afternoon lines efficient enough to arbed profitably? How much cushion would you need before putting down action on an early line? 3 cents, 5 cents?

Yes of course, obviously though the number of opportunities are far fewer by passing up arbing in the few hours prior to the game starting

Highness

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    Huh?
    Here's an example of what he's saying: true pinnacle line of Bulls +3 -110, i get action down at +3 -106, by tip off the true line has moved to +3 +104 resulting in an automatic theoretical loss. The earlier you bet, the more likely the lines are to move and the more lines will shift from your initial positions increasing unpredictability

luegofuego
    luegofuego's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Justins comment is just nonsensical.

Say I get +110 with a true line of PK. Suppose the likelihood of the line closing at +120 or bigger is 50% and the line closing at -120 or smaller is also 50%. Does that mean that half of the time, I've made a bad bet?

calm
    FREE GRUMPERZ
    calm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 797

The further from post you are, the more likely lines are to move (either way).
    true

In the case of a dramatic move, changing an early wager to an automatic win or automatic loss, an unexpected line move tends to move your plays towards coin-flips. Not completely, but it adds variance.
    false

Stop making shit up, go make some more videos and steal Thremp's scraps.
    Last edited by calm; 02-20-12 at 12:08 PM.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Quote Originally Posted by Highness View Post
    I have a quick question about the best time to put on pinnacle arbs. I have access to bodog lines through a local and when I say pinnacle arb I mean in the context that I only place bets where I am getting a better price than the no-vig pinnacle line. In theory, pinnacle lines in big markets are efficient so this is profitable. I do not bet both sides, just the inefficient line.

My question is on the time of day to place my bets. Lines are 5pm are sharper than 11am. If I see a 5 cent arb opportunity at 11am, should I bet my full unit right then? Or should I only be arbing afternoon and beyond lines? Is there a reasonable line to draw to put my bet down in the morning, say an 8 cent or better arbritrage or is it just better to stay away from arbing morning lines altogether? thanks
    Anytime but keep in mind that later line movements are more efficient.