mcduggly
    mcduggly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2401

Expected value question.

I was reading a sports betting book that ran through the concept of expected value. Is finding a positive expected value even doable for a point spread game, assuming that the probability of either side winning is 50%? This concept confuses me.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by mcduggly View Post
    I was reading a sports betting book that ran through the concept of expected value. Is finding a positive expected value even doable for a point spread game, assuming that the probability of either side winning is 50%? This concept confuses me.
    That assumption is false and it is this that makes is possible to find +EV.

Sports games and markets are not coin flips. Generally speaking, it is very difficult to beat closing lines and you have a much better chance of finding value in early lines/odds.
    Points Awarded:

Harmy G gave FourLengthsClear 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

john230
    john230's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    That assumption is false and it is this that makes is possible to find +EV.

Sports games and markets are not coin flips. Generally speaking, it is very difficult to beat closing lines and you have a much better chance of finding value in early lines/odds.

That's why it's good to have a shop that posts early lines. You have more control that way.

mcduggly

Thank you guys. So then how do I find positive expected value for the point spread games?

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots

Thank you guys. So then how do I find positive expected value for the point spread games?
    It isn't easy. Some reading on the concepts/methods used might be a good starting point.

"Sharp Sports Betting" - Stanford Wong; and
    "Conquering Risk" - Elihu D. Feustel

mcduggly

It isn't easy. Some reading on the concepts/methods used might be a good starting point.

"Sharp Sports Betting" - Stanford Wong; and
    "Conquering Risk" - Elihu D. Feustel
    I've actually read that book not too long ago, and that is where this question derives from. I have read it over and it doesn't make sense to me if you don't know the winning/losing percentage of either team.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots

I've actually read that book not too long ago, and that is where this question derives from. I have read it over and it doesn't make sense to me if you don't know the winning/losing percentage of either team.
    Try "Conquering Risk" too as well as "Mathletics".

Both books have quite a lot which I don't agree with but will give you an idea of how to begin to apply statistical data to derive your own percentages.

mcduggly

Try "Conquering Risk" too as well as "Mathletics".

Both books have quite a lot which I don't agree with but will give you an idea of how to begin to apply statistical data to derive your own percentages.
    Alright, thank you very much for the help!