Hurls
    Hurls's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 663

Computer Programs Question

This is my first time posting in thinktank, I have a question are any of the handicapping programs that you dont have to build yourself anygood, any of the ones that you can buy as a package, I am not super computer savvy but I would like to get something? Any thoughts I would appreciate you guys in this thread seem to know what your talking about. Thanks.

AngryPlanets
    AngryPlanets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

I am trying to build my own program right now, and I did some looking for any open-source material before I started and came up empty.

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

No one is going to do all the hard work for free...

Hurls

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
    No one is going to do all the hard work for free...
    i dont want it done for free I want to pay for it obviously...

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

How much are you willing to spend?

Hurls

i will check out, thanks for input

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

Count me in, for the bidding wars on developing this guy whatever computer program he wants

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

Quote Originally Posted by Hurls View Post
    i dont want it done for free I want to pay for it obviously...

Then why not just ask for the picks?

AngryPlanets

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
    Then why not just ask for the picks?
    I can't speak for OP, but for me, I am a Math and computer guy and thought it would be an interesting data and algorithmic challenge.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPlanets View Post
    I can't speak for OP, but for me, I am a Math and computer guy and thought it would be an interesting data and algorithmic challenge.
    Then why are you looking for open source code?

Maverick22

All Hail Monkey. Ruler of the Think Tank With an iron Fist!!!

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

Just wondering. Seems a bit of a contradiction. Does it not?

Maverick22

Certainly so. Monkey. Ne and you should be the resident coders. We cam he a travelling road shoe

Hurls

i think everyone got this question wrong or I asked it wrong, I dont want someone to build one for me, I wanted to know if there was a program out there for sale on the market that deals with trends and information that is a good one, so I can use to add with the factors that I use so that it doesnt take forever to do it all something to make capping easier for me. I am not a pro gambler by any means but as a hobby I like to try to cap my own games so anything that can help me get better I would like to try. thanks

samserif
    samserif's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    Just wondering. Seems a bit of a contradiction. Does it not?
    Nope. If someone built a framework I can use and adapt, I'd jump on it. Even if I didn't reuse the code, I'd look for design ideas, mainly in data modeling and data management.

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Take the Bucks +6 again tomorrow

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by samserif View Post
    Nope. If someone built a framework I can use and adapt, I'd jump on it. Even if I didn't reuse the code, I'd look for design ideas, mainly in data modeling and data management.
    Eh? How hard is it to data model sports statistics? By the time you sifted through the other person's code and adapted it to your data, you could have coded it yourself three times over by scratch.

Maverick22

Yup. Spoken like a true coder.

samserif

Eh? How hard is it to data model sports statistics?
    Modeling statistics is simple. Modeling data, often not so simple.

By the time you sifted through the other person's code and adapted it to your data, you could have coded it yourself three times over by scratch.
    Depends on the code, doesn't it? Who knows, maybe I'll learn something from it.

Maverick22

It depends on how complex the code is. The design patterns used. And how good the programmer(s) were that developed the code.

It is better to understand what you are writing, and write it yourself. Unless you can actually talk to the programmers, then the other code is useful

AngryPlanets

Then why are you looking for open source code?
    Trust me, I don't need to explain myself to you, but it is not a contradiction to know what already exists before you start a project.

Maverick22

Whose ghost are you anyhows?

samserif

Trust me, I don't need to explain myself to you, but it is not a contradiction to know what already exists before you start a project.
    So you're saying that you're not into reinventing wheels, right?

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

Very hard to build a wheel without a diagram. One might even call it a "challenge."

AngryPlanets

I'm not sure what you are asking, but reinventing wheels is probably the wrong analogy.

I also build my own guitars. That doesn't mean that guitars don't already exist, or that I don't know what existing guitar manufacturers provide. I do it because it is fun and because I can make exactly what I want.

I also brew my own beer. That's doesn't mean that beers aren't readily available where I leave, or that I don't know what other brewers provide to the marketplace. I do it because it is interesting and I can make exactly what I want.

AngryPlanets

Very hard to build a wheel without a diagram. One might even call it a "challenge."
    Only for you would it be very hard to build a wheel without a diagram. That says a lot about you.

samserif

What I meant was that many coders (as opposed to software engineers) jump into something without caring whether it's been done before, just because coding is fun, and seeing what's out there takes me away from coding!

I'm always interested in knowing whether something I want already exists. What's out there may not be exactly what I want, but it's often useful to ask, "Why was it built this way? Why was this feature omitted/included? How's the data organized and represented, and any clues as to why? Any cool ideas I can pilfer?" Sometimes I don't learn anything, other times I learn a lot.
    Last edited by samserif; 01-25-12 at 07:53 PM.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

Only for you would it be very hard to build a wheel without a diagram. That says a lot about you.
    Exactly.

Wait. Who was looking for diagrams again?

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

What I mean was that many coders (as opposed to software engineers) jump into something without caring whether it's been done before, just because coding is fun, and seeing what's out there takes me away from coding!

I'm always interested in knowing whether something I want already exists. What's out there may not be exactly what I want, but it's often useful to ask, "Why was it built this way? Why was this feature omitted/included? How's the data organized and represented, and any clues as to why? Any cool ideas I can pilfer?" Sometimes I don't learn anything, other times I learn a lot.
    Then again, maybe they're experienced coders and don't care what another person did since they are perfectly capable of designing efficient algorithms and profiling their own code. Trying to sort through another person's code is nearly always more of a headache than it's worth.

AngryPlanets

Exactly.

Wait. Who was looking for diagrams again?
    (*bilnk*) I have no idea what you are talking about. Is this some sort of inside joke on this board? I have never once mentioned diagrams.

Maverick22

Whose ghost are you? You've had six lifetime post, all in the think tank, all in this thread. The People want answers.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

If all you want to do is code, use Elo scoring, works as well as anything else. All you need are wins and losses so harder to screw up.

Professor1215
    Improve Everyday
    Professor1215's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3212

Mathdotcom.....right about the Bucks, again. Go figure.

Maverick....have you ever been paid to write a program for somebody, how much would one charge?

Mods....not looking to buy anything or sell anything, just asking, for the record.

Maverick22

If you don't count my job as a software developer, I got paid to write programs in college for under achieving students The price really depends on a gillion factors. Including but not limited to scope, timeline, complexity, how efficient of code desired.

AngryPlanets

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post
    Whose ghost are you? You've had six lifetime post, all in the think tank, all in this thread. The People want answers.
    I'm not a ghost account. I actually started lurking at the start of football season, and signed up at the start of basketball season so I could look at the spreadsheet everyone talked about and possibly use it to track the progress of my program's output.

I probably wouldn't have ever posted, but I had some knowledge that I thought would help OP. I didn't realize that I was going to get drawn into arguments this quickly. I originally considered posting detailed information about my project and its predictions in hopes of maybe making it a collaborative effort, but now I see that's not how this place works

The reason all my posts are in the think tank is because that is the only part of this board that interests me at this moment. I don't even check out the other forums, but might in the future.

Hope this helps!

12 Last