illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

So let me get this somewhat straight:

-Ubuntu is an operating system? I'm downloading it alongside windows so I can open it as I would an application(I hope that's okay).

-VMware is...?

-db server is an additional program I need or are you referring to the wampserver?

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by illfuuptn View Post
    So let me get this somewhat straight:

-Ubuntu is an operating system? I'm downloading it alongside windows so I can open it as I would an application(I hope that's okay).

-VMware is...?

-db server is an additional program I need or are you referring to the wampserver?
    You can't open Ubuntu as an application as it is an operating system. You could use a virtualization application to do this. This answers your top two questions: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/tec...n-windows.html

Why not just buy a $5/month Linux web hosting package? Those all come with the LAMP stack preloaded and you don't need to know anything about server administration; all you have to do is use a graphical cPanel interface and FTP software. As long as you password-protect the directory where your PHP files are (generally you can do this from cPanel without any previous knowledge), the risk of someone else using your model is minimal.

illfuuptn

^^^Now I really feel like for every 4 feet I climb, I slip back 10. Let's start fresh.

I have a mac with leopard but I also have windows installed on it. Which side should I use?

Sure, I suppose I could buy Linux, but how is that an upgrade over os10? How would I get linux on my computer? Would it be web based or something? Could I access it from the os10 side of my computer?

Then what do I install? Still going with wampserver? Still vmware? When do I install vmware? What IS vmware?

Plese tell me once I have everything set and running that it won't be this ridiculous ever again? I can handle learning a programming language or two but learning and understanding the 1,000,000 different ways to set up a database is just incredibly ridiculous.

illfuuptn

vmware is a virtual application that allows me to run an operating system?

How is linux better than ubuntu? Is it necessary for me?

jgilmartin

Basically everything that has been mentioned previously in this thread had to do with running your own local web server on your own computer for the purpose of running your own PHP/mySQL setup.

Clearly you are just starting out and, in my opinion, it would be a lot easier to just pay for cheap web hosting (Lunarpages and Hostgator come to mind), and let them handle all the server stuff for you. They set up Linux, Apache, mySQL, PHP (this is called a LAMP stack) for you, and send you a username and password to use). You go to a website (which typically runs software called cPanel) and manage your databases from there (and technically you could edit all your PHP files from the same website in most cases, but more often than not people just run a desktop FTP application and a desktop Text Editor application to do this). If you just pick some weird random domain and don't tell anyone about it, as well as password-protect the directory the files are in (you can do this from cPanel also in most cases - I would ask the web hosting company about this before signing up), it is unlikely anyone will ever access your PHP files or databases.

In regards to your Ubuntu quetion, though, Ubuntu is a Linux distribution. Basically it is a specific type of Linux; many different organizations make their own Linux distributions, all based on the core Linux code.

evo34
    evo34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4198

I can't seem to get my remote control to control both my cable box and TV. Can anyone help? Is this the right thread for tech. support?

illfuuptn

So if I'm going to install Ubuntu and use VMware player to access the OS then should I install VMware and Ubuntu on the Mac side of my computer or the windows side? Should I just do it on the side I use most often(Mac)? Or is there a reason for using one over the other?

jgilmartin

VMWare Fusion for Mac if you primarily use OS X as opposed to Windows. No offense but IMO, you are in over your head trying to install Linux and run a web server.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

installing linux and running a webserver are the easy parts. Scraping and dumping takes fuking time.

illfuuptn

I decided to set up MAMP on OS10. It seems to be working so far and is the cleanest setup I've had in many attempts thus far. I was actually successful loading an sql dump from a website into a new database I created. I agree, the scraping, the statistical work, and the model creation will be ridiculous tasks, but I'll cross those bridges when I get to them.

For now:

-I'm still completely in the dark about security!
    -MAMP automatically has it so I'm logged in as 'root' I think.
    -It also gave me numbers for mysql and apache ports
    -I've read it's not a good idea to change your phpmyadmin password(or prob any password for that matter) in
    the config file because people could see it.

-There's so much jibberish going on when I google search for "securing MAMP server" or similar searches. I don't even know what to make of it. There's logins and passwords, port numbers, urls, etc. and I have no idea what any of them really represent. Please help!

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

How are those programming tutorials coming? Security can come later... much later. You have nothing to secure right now.

Have you picked a language?

illfuuptn

I really think I want to go with java since being able to make classes will come in handy when building the model. But do you think it would be worth it to pick up a second language for data scraping purposes? I'm guessing java isn't really built for that. Python maybe?

rsigley
    rsigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

default mamp setup should only allow access from your computer so security shouldn't be a problem unless you turn it on to the world

illfuuptn

Quote Originally Posted by rsigley View Post
    default mamp setup should only allow access from your computer so security shouldn't be a problem unless you turn it on to the world
    rsigley!

illfuuptn

Ty sigs

illfuuptn

Also, I need a way to make sense of the data I collect. I assume this will be done in R. I hope it's not too terribly difficult to pick up since most of what I'll be doing is learning ONLY the things I need as I go via google searches as opposed to learning it all.

Maverick22

Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Hacks...6121212&sr=8-5

All your questions should be answered. The author covers databases, R, MLB data sources. It should enough of what you need

jgilmartin

Quote Originally Posted by uva3021 View Post
    Great share...if only I hadn't already spent all that time making my own scraper

SteveRyan
    SteveRyan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2995

Not understanding how to use this.

I saved all the files to a folder on my desktop and pointed my browser to it. Index.HTML did not open as a GUI.

Please help

jgilmartin

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRyan View Post

Not understanding how to use this.

I saved all the files to a folder on my desktop and pointed my browser to it. Index.HTML did not open as a GUI.

Please help
    You need a web server running PHP and mySQL.

SteveRyan
    SteveRyan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2995

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    You need a web server running PHP and mySQL.
    Can I use this windows based version of PHP?

http://windows.php.net/download

uva3021
    uva3021's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 381

download xampp

SharpAsASkunk
    SharpAsASkunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1401

Thanks for posting this. I'm having some trouble getting it working. I have XAMPP installed and working, I am able to get the index.html file to appear through localhost. When I try to use the wizard I get this error message:

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ')' in C:\xampp\htdocs\NBA_Pinny_db.php on line 6"

What should be typed in the Host, Username and Password boxes?

mikew
    mikew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 720

your mysql db credentials

SharpAsASkunk
    SharpAsASkunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1401

Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    your mysql db credentials
    Thanks, I have the credentials entered correctly then. I removed, what I am assuming is, an extra ";" and ")", which were on line 6 of "NBA_Pinny_db.php". Now when I run the wizard it just gives me a blank page. Is anyone able to get this Wizard to work properly?

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

this thread makes my head hurt

Maverick22

heh. setting up a web server seems to be rocket science.

durito
    escarabajo negro

the op really is years from needing a web server, you all are just confusing him more.

That Foreign Guy
    I got sunshine in a bag
    That Foreign Guy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

This looks awesome. Know what I am doing tonight

illfuuptn

Nice to see the thread bumped. Anyone know how to do the following in mysql:

I want to do a typical
    Code:
    Update table x insert values(1,2,3...)
    but I want the 1st value in parentheses to be put in the 30th column. Then the second in the 31st and so on. It obviously usually defaults to putting the first value in the first column, 2nd in 2nd row, etc.
    Last edited by illfuuptn; 03-29-12 at 07:14 PM.

TC Woods
    TC Woods's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 479

Name:  seal_pup.gif
Views: 166
Size:  5.3 KB

durito
    escarabajo negro

INSERT INTO table(column30,31,32) VALUES (1,2,3..)

illfuuptn

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    INSERT INTO table(column30,31,32) VALUES (1,2,3..)
    so if I have ten columns I need to write out
    Insert into table(column 30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39) Values(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)
    ?

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Quote Originally Posted by illfuuptn View Post
    so if I have ten columns I need to write out
    Insert into table(column 30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39) Values(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)
    ?
    If your columns are named "column 30" and "31" etc..

C'mon, man. Google.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_insert.asp

First 123 Last