jolmscheid
    jolmscheid's Avatar Become A Pro!

Following Line Moves?

What are peoples experience with following opening line moves? For example, if a line opened at -2 and dropped to -1, would following the movement be profitable?

jolmscheid

Thanks in advance as always...I look forward to the replies..

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Just like beating the closing line. If you bet +1 AFTER the move, you'll be close to 50/50.. Key to winning is to beat the move. So do line moves tell you anything? Answer is yes but it's too late to take advantage. (slow moving books anyone?)

jolmscheid

Thanks LT..that makes sense..so how does that work in terms of reverse line movement?

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

A bit of homework for yourself might be to look at what happens after the first movement. Is there a tendency for lines to continue to move in the same direction, reverse back or is there no obvious trend/pattern?

illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

^^^

jolmscheid

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    A bit of homework for yourself might be to look at what happens after the first movement. Is there a tendency for lines to continue to move in the same direction, reverse back or is there no obvious trend/pattern?
    I think the FIRST movement would indicate sharp money..

hutennis
    hutennis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3253

Quote Originally Posted by jolmscheid View Post
    I think the FIRST movement would indicate sharp money...
    ...50% of the time.

Another 50% is for squares and sharps that are setting up reverse move. LOL

So go ahead, flip yet another coin and pay commission for privilege.
    Last edited by hutennis; 12-20-11 at 09:50 PM.

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

Does not work long term. My data has it winning but just barely in the past 8 months, and 50/50 before that. Just try to beat the closing line.

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

IMHO line moves should never factor into your decision making unless you can verify a reason for the move, which in most cases you can't. The only thing you should strive for is the best price possible on a pre-determined play. There are many variations of shenanigans that are moving lines nowadays. Most of this ends up in the 50% graveyard.

samserif
    samserif's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    A related question: if closing lines, as a whole, exhibit little bias (i.e., roughly the same number of winners as losers), what about the lines that show a clear trend? Will a line that started at +6/-6 and didn't change have the same distribution of outcomes as a line that started at +8/-8 (or +4/-4) then closed at +6/-6? I think I've seen differences but without running the numbers I'm not confident enough to say.