Professor1215
    Improve Everyday
    Professor1215's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3212

Vig

As I was looking at the Pinny lines today, I quickly calculated the vig on several random games. I found that the vig ranged anywhere from 2.23% to 4.34% depending on the moneyline.

While I understand that there will be vig regardless, is their a "fair" amount to pay. Since Pinny is the foundation of all that is "fair", could you make the assumption that the vig that they charge is a fair market price?

What kinds of things drive the oddsmakers in terms of vig? Do they look to have a higher vig based on the volume of action they project on the assumption that they could be more profitable?

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Broadly speaking vig (theoretical hold) is a product of volume and by extension market efficiency.

Again, broadly speaking the same thing can be said about betting limits.

Professor1215
    Improve Everyday

Interesting, thanks for the info!

Professor1215
    Improve Everyday

guess this question was too broad!

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

I noticed something interesting with the Australian National Basketball League on Pinny. At the start of the season Pinny had $2,000 limits on sides and totals at a -105 line. A couple of weeks back - two months into the season - Pinnacle moved to a -103 line but dropped the limit to $500 on sides and totals.

So they reduced the vig, but also the limits. I can't imagine that they are taking big action on the NBL... Anyone notice this in other Pinny sports? Does it mean they are more or less confident in their numbers on these markets?

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by Duff85 View Post
    I noticed something interesting with the Australian National Basketball League on Pinny. At the start of the season Pinny had $2,000 limits on sides and totals at a -105 line. A couple of weeks back - two months into the season - Pinnacle moved to a -103 line but dropped the limit to $500 on sides and totals.

So they reduced the vig, but also the limits. I can't imagine that they are taking big action on the NBL... Anyone notice this in other Pinny sports? Does it mean they are more or less confident in their numbers on these markets?
    Generally they would be more confident.

Did they maintain that $500 limit right through till tip-off? If, so that would be very strange.
    In many sports they will post an opening number with lower limits and raise them later.

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post

Generally they would be more confident.

Did they maintain that $500 limit right through till tip-off? If, so that would be very strange.
    In many sports they will post an opening number with lower limits and raise them later.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry $500 was the listed max limit... before a couple of hours out from the game its usually still circled and lower than that max.