jolmscheid
    jolmscheid's Avatar Become A Pro!

Correlated Teasers

Thanks in advance for the help as always..

GarbageMan
    On the phone....
    GarbageMan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 951

correlated parlays>>>>>>correlated teasers

jolmscheid

Yesterday I wanted to tease Tennessee +36 and over 40...I was not able to do this at any of my books...the bet ended up not winning but it got me to thinking . Does anyone know how to exploit teasers like this? I assume that they are +ev if books don't allow this..

ThaddeusB
    ThaddeusB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135661

Quote Originally Posted by jolmscheid View Post
    Yesterday I wanted to tease Tennessee +36 and over 40...I was not able to do this at any of my books...the bet ended up not winning but it got me to thinking . Does anyone know how to exploit teasers like this? I assume that they are +ev if books don't allow this..
    First, backing +36 and over is negatively correlated. You want dog/under or favorite/over to be positively correlated. Now, to answer the Q: there are almost no spots where blind betting correlated teasers is +EV. The problem is that you'll be buying a bunch of relatively worthless numbers on both the total and the spread (higher spread=more variance=each point is worth less). The value wasted on teasing is greater than the value gained on the correlation (unless the total/spread are EXTREMELY correlated.)

Books block them because they know the associated parlays are +EV and they have a poor understanding of teaser value in general.

Bsims
    Bsims's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I tried betting a NHL parlay with Florida and under this morning at 5dimes and it was rejected. I've made this type of bet many times in the past. Is this a new policy?

Snatch
    Snatch's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thad - not if the dog Spread is >35% of the Total - it's correlated.

laxbrah420
    laxbrah420's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 505

Quote Originally Posted by ThaddeusB View Post
    First, backing +36 and over is negatively correlated. You want dog/under or favorite/over to be positively correlated. Now, to answer the Q: there are almost no spots where blind betting correlated teasers is +EV. The problem is that you'll be buying a bunch of relatively worthless numbers on both the total and the spread (higher spread=more variance=each point is worth less). The value wasted on teasing is greater than the value gained on the correlation (unless the total/spread are EXTREMELY correlated.)

Books block them because they know the associated parlays are +EV and they have a poor understanding of teaser value in general.
    i really have a tough time understanding why dog and over is negatively correlated? 20pt dog o/u 40 --throw that in a 10 team teaser, you've guaranteed yourself 1 win...

jolmscheid

Im pretty sure books wouldn't allow that would they?

Frats
    Frats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 414

Quote Originally Posted by laxbrah420 View Post
    i really have a tough time understanding why dog and over is negatively correlated? 20pt dog o/u 40 --throw that in a 10 team teaser, you've guaranteed yourself 1 win...
    What good would one win possibly do you? Just think about your example. If you had a team at +36 and put it with the under, the only possible scores that could hurt you are between 36-40 to 0-4. It's almost impossible for the favorite and under to hit. Those events are directly coorelated, if the under hits then the underdog is going to hit over 95% of the time.

laxbrah420
    laxbrah420's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 505

when i said 10 team i meant 10 point, because i'm dumb.
    also im dumb. thanks

Bsims
    Bsims's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bsims View Post
    I tried betting a NHL parlay with Florida and under this morning at 5dimes and it was rejected. I've made this type of bet many times in the past. Is this a new policy?
    Later in the day same wager was accepted. They must not allow this with opening lines.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch View Post
    Thad - not if the dog Spread is >35% of the Total - it's correlated.
    Which is great for parlays (where accepted), NOT for teasers.

jolmscheid

So when parlaying totals and sides at greater than 35%, is it smart to take both the dog / under and the fav / over?

Uga
    Uga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6066

So when parlaying totals and sides at greater than 35%, is it smart to take both the dog / under and the fav / over?
    That's right.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Uga View Post
    That's right.
    * - where accepted.

jolmscheid

I don't think there are any legitimate books that will take those wagers...dang

mm9182
    mm9182's Avatar Become A Pro!

you should take both dog/under and fav/over?..slightly confused but are there any statistics showing when the dog/under or fav/over hit in relation to being home away? what im trying to get at is..doesnt it make more sense to take one side and not both?

jolmscheid

Quote Originally Posted by mm9182 View Post
    you should take both dog/under and fav/over?..slightly confused but are there any statistics showing when the dog/under or fav/over hit in relation to being home away? what im trying to get at is..doesnt it make more sense to take one side and not both?
    Good Question...

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

I don't think there are any legitimate books that will take those wagers...dang
    If you live in Vegas. Arizona Charlies allows correlated parlays.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by mm9182 View Post
    Because of the title of thread (except should be parlays). Since the parlays are correlated, one parlay or the other should hit over 30% of the time. So if you play both the fav/over and dog/under combos in, say, 5 games (10 combos), 3 of them should win which is +EV at +260 odds (even better at true odds).

jolmscheid

Shoot...correlated parlays are really where its at...thanks for the insight LT and Holli

LT Profits

Shoot...correlated parlays are really where its at...thanks for the insight LT and Holli
    But I can't stress enough..... * - where available

jotoha
    jotoha's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 724

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    But I can't stress enough..... * - where available
    How do you know/calculate a play as "correlated"?

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by jotoha View Post
    How do you know/calculate a play as "correlated"?
    35% or higher spread/total ratio. 5 Dimes for one stops taking them at 30%.

jotoha
    jotoha's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 724

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    35% or higher spread/total ratio. 5 Dimes for one stops taking them at 30%.
    Thanks LT. It seems to be rare in NFL to find one 35% or higher. I guess it's mostly in college then.....