PatrickBateman
    PatrickBateman's Avatar Become A Pro!

ATS Point Differential

Interested in what people take away from point spread differential betting.

What I mean is a teams + or - number versus the spread. For example, if a team beats the spread by three points three weeks straight they would be +9 ATS.

Now knowing this number for each team does a + ATS differential mean a team is underrated (since they keep beating the spread) or does it mean that they are beating the spread so much that the number will be inflated in their favor?

I could see arguments being made for both sides, but would like to know what others think. This could be an effective strategy in helping to handicap games. BOL All

larco15
    larco15's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 691

useful in basketball. football is a different beast, especially NFL

cyberbabble
    cyberbabble's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3347

Consider the same method for NFL totals. Projected points (from Justin7 I think) for a favorite is (Total line/2) + (point spread/2) and for the dog is (Total/2) - (point spread/2). Calculate actual points vs projected points for last few games. If you don't want to build a complicated model, look for a game where both teams have been scoring more than expected or a game with two teams scoring less than expected.

I built a simple model for totals, last year, based on this concept plus a couple of other factors. It was a small winner. Won 54% on an average of two games per week. I'm not doing it this year. It was too time consuming using Excel, I don't have much time this year and the results don't seem to be worth the time required.

It's promising enough that I will work on it and maybe get better results next year.

RickySteve
    SBR is a criminal organization
    RickySteve's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

I haven't studied it, but someone I respect a lot used this sort of strategy to profitably trade in the NBA. That was years ago however. I'd be surprised if the market hasn't adjusted.