jer_33
    jer_33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

Modelling/Predicting Future Lines (NHL)

Other than using historical figures, is there any way to model/predict the future lines for an NHL team?

I'd love to have a spreadsheet that would show the next 3-5 match-ups for a team and the predicted lines.

Thx guys.

Jer
    Last edited by jer_33; 10-21-11 at 12:41 PM.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jer_33 View Post
    Other than using historical figures, is there any way to model/predict the future lines for an NHL team? I'd love to have a spreadsheet that would show the next 3-5 match-ups for a team and the predicted lines. Thx guys. Jer
    Every model is in some way derived from historical data... How else would you build a model?...

jer_33
    jer_33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post

Every model is in some way derived from historical data... How else would you build a model?...
    I was talking about using historical lines as reference rather than a modelled/predicted line.

thx for the response.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Firstly, I'm tickled to death if I can get a decent prediction on day's games, it's hard enough to do let alone worry about games on a further horizon.

Secondly, everything I do basically comes out of a box-score or a data set of some type. What else is there? Magic 8 ball? Or grab-ass "analysis" like what happens in Player's Talk?

At least with an eight-ball, guys like JJGold could improve his win percentage from 47% to 50%.

dice
    dice's Avatar Become A Pro!

Okay, it's pretty obvious that you base score predictions on historical statistics. Specifically for evaluating NHL, give probabilities of performance to each player based on their past statistics. In NHL, I'd use two years of stats. Hope this helps!