Bill the cop
    Bill the cop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 420

People have been asking me how that CFB D/O did last year

http://www.bettingtalk.com/threads/1...r-Bill-the-Cop...

This thread should bring everyone up to date on how I did last year with this play.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

People have been asking me if they should follow Bill the Cop's advice on anything related to sports betting. If I actively disliked them I told them yes.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

While Bill the cop and I do not agree on everything, I have made a lot of money from his analyses of various sports betting problems. Spend the time to look at his ideas, and keep what you think will work.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    While Bill the cop and I do not agree on everything, I have made a lot of money from his analyses of various sports betting problems. Spend the time to look at his ideas, and keep what you think will work.

donjuan

You've become a parody of yourself at this point. I miss Ganchrow.

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

Why would you post a link to a pay board?

Bill the cop

Quote Originally Posted by skrtelfan View Post
    Why would you post a link to a pay board?
    As far as I know the "betting talk" forums are free. There are options to buy RAS data, but it's not required. I've been posting there for over a year and have never been asked to pay for anything.

wiffle
    wiffle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

btc4life

Bill the cop

I've taken great pains to present a cogent explanation of what I'm doing with this play. There are always going to be some, who, for what ever reason, either don't understand or don't agree, with the conclusions I reach. You would think that they could at least offer a detailed mathematical expanation of why this approach doesn't work (don't hold your breath).

I should know by now that you can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting a few "Richard Craniums" in these public forums. So be it...

TomG
    TomG's Avatar Become A Pro!

They now charge a $10 registration fee.

I actually would like to read the discussion. If there is a way to copy/paste the relevant content, please do so.

Pancho sanza
    Pancho sanza's Avatar Become A Pro!

Someone hijack Justins posting handle?

Bill the cop

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    They now charge a $10 registration fee.

I actually would like to read the discussion. If there is a way to copy/paste the relevant content, please do so.
    Now that you mention it, I do recall something about a $10 registration fee when RAS bought out SSB. I can't remember if I paid the $10 or got grandfathered in as a former member of the boxseats at SSB (the more I think about it, I think I probably DID pay that registration fee).

As far as the content of the thread, it's pretty much what the link shows (I'm assuming everyone can open it). If not, it details what the play is as well as getting input form some who came to the same conclusions independently (one of these is longtime capper and overall good guy, StevieY).

Let me know if it doesn't open.
    Last edited by Bill the cop; 08-23-11 at 10:33 AM.

TomG

Quote Originally Posted by Bill the cop View Post
    Now that you mention it, I do recall something about a $10 registration fee when RAS bought out SSB. I can't remember if I paid the $10 or got grandfathered in as a former member of the boxseats at SSB (the more I think about it, I think I probably DID pay that registration fee).

As far as the content of the thread, it's pretty much what the link shows (I'm assuming everyone can open it). If not, it details what the play is as well as getting input form some who came to the same conclusions independently (one of these is longtime capper and overall good guy, StevieY).

Let me know if it doesn't open.
    I can confirm the link does not open and the content cannot be viewed without first paying a $10 registration fee.

Mods, I would suggest removing the link entirely as this thread is currently just an advertisement for a subscription service.

Bill the cop

I honestly thought it would just open, I've nothing whatsoever to do with the web site other than just posting in the forums. I'll see if I can cut/paste the relevant content in that thread here.

Bill the cop

FU 3, DO 9 (PO 1 and PU 1).
    Last 10 years, SS 461, FO/DU 316, FU 43, DO 89 (FP 5, DP5, PO1, and PU 2)

Let me explain what the above means. In essence, I make two first half straight bets (Dog and Over) on college
    games that meet certain criteria. These games are highly correlated and have a LTR (Line to Total Ratio) of at
    least 2:1 for the full game. An example would be a game with a game line of 25 and a total of 50, that would
    be a 2:1 ratio. It would be nice if books would just let you parlay these bets, but of course they won't because
    of the high correlation. These highly correlated games (F/O or D/U) hit at a higher rate than the BE rate for
    a parlay at 27.8%, the books know this, thus, no same game parlays allowed.

The outcomes of these highly correlated games are the basis of my theory. Games that have NO correlation,
    say, a line of -3 and total of 60, have results fairly evenly divided (but still a slight bias toward the F/O or
    D/U, but not enough to get an edge) between F/O, D/U, D/O, and F/U. Barring pushes, these are the only
    outcomes of same game, line and total bets. As the games become more correlated (from a LTR perspective)
    the outcomes changes. When you get to LTRs of 2:1 or better, the F/O and D/U come in at about a combined
    rate of 70%. The remaining 30% are divided between the D/O and the F/U. The D/O comes in at about twice
    the rate of the F/U (about a 20% to 10% ratio). So if you bet the D/O you can expect to lose the vig on
    one bet about 70% of the time, lose both bets about 10% of the time, and win both bets about 20% of the
    time (looks like you lose money 80% of the time and only win money 20% of the time, this is true, but do the
    math and see how it turns out)!

Now, the question is WHY does the D/O hit at twice the rate of the F/U? Both are noncorrelated, shouldn't
    they hit at about the same rate you ask? The answer is NO, because of the "window" of the two bets. The
    window for the F/U is much smaller than the D/O. Here's an example for the first week this year, #156
    Alabama-36.5 with a total of 45.5 (this is a LTR of 1.24). The 1st half line will be Alabama-21 and total
    of about 24 (books use about 60% of game line and 50% of game total for 1st half lines). So in order to
    lose both bets (F/U) Alabama would have to win by EXACTLY 22-0 or 23-0, (small window), any other score
    and the outcome would be F/O, D/U, or D/O. So the possibilities for the D/O are significantly better than
    the F/U (although, of course, the F/O or D/U will still come in at a combined rate of about 70%).

I hope the above explained what I'm doing, there are only about 50 candidates per year for this play, but
    I've done quite well with it (the ROR is quite favorable and allows me to bet two or three times my usual
    unit size).

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill the Cop For This Useful Post:
    BigFish (08-17-2011), cacheman (08-17-2011), cmh947s (Today), dtrain11 (08-17-2011), JB531 (08-17-2011), kass101 (08-17-2011), Raybolts (08-17-2011), Snakehead (08-17-2011), worm33 (08-17-2011)
  17. 08-17-2011 12:19 PM
    StevieY

Join Date Aug 2010 Location Kentwood, MI Posts 1,598 Thanks 26 Thanked 1,551 Times in 671 Posts
    [quote=Bill the Cop;703627]
    Originally Posted by Bill the Cop
    Last year was another good year. SS 47, FO/DU 33, FU 3, DO 9 (PO 1 and PU 1).

I do something similar. Home fav 1st half lines that are 5-10 pts away from the 1st half totals are unique plays. I don't go below 5 because any 1st half lines that are something like -21 with a 25 total pretty much tell you the dog has no chance and offensively may really struggle. 5-10 pt differences tell you that the dog at least has a chance to do something and if they do, will probably be in the 1st half before they wear down and quit. I say they are unique because the F/O and D/U combo's happen the most but the best straight plays are Dog and Over. It's almost like a middle. You can lose both plays, but it's rare. When the difference is 5-7, you win both the dog and over 8 times for every time you lose both. For differences of 7.5-10, you win both 7.5 times for every time you lose both. It's pretty simple, the dog scores once in the first half, you are pretty safe, twice and you will probably win both. The dog is 138-100, over is 140-98, the dog/over happened 54 times and they both lost 7 times over the last 9 years. What I like about it is since they appear to be un-correlated, no one really thinks about it. One of them always thrives and it is really hard to lose both plays. You get lines like -23 total 29. For the most part, 24-0, 27-0 is the only "football" score that can beat you. Many times you see 28-7, 27-3. One dog score and it is hard to lose both. Fav goes crazy and leads 31-0 at half and you split. Fav struggles and you split or win both if the dog thrives. I was a little hesitant when I first discovered this but I have played them for the last 6 years and they continue to do fine.
    The above is some of the thread, there were others who posted their experiences with this play (all positive) and some "atta Boys", but basically that's it.

18. Last edited by Bill the cop; 08-23-11 at 11:14 AM.

HedgeHog
    HedgeHog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16709

Very insightful. Thanks for sharing, Bill.

TomG

For reference, here is the link to this strategy's previous lively debate: College betting model.

donjuan

Such great analysis that it ignores times where you push one and lose one. Worth the $10 IMO.

Bill the cop

Quote Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
    Such great analysis that it ignores times where you push one and lose one. Worth the $10 IMO.

Ahh, I wonder what those FP, DP, PO and PU stats mean if I ignored them?

F/P you lose money, D/P you win money, P/U you lose money, P/O you win money, those outcomes pretty much cancel each other out (but I'm sure you already figured that out).
    Last edited by Bill the cop; 08-23-11 at 12:13 PM.

HedgeHog
    HedgeHog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16709

Quote Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
    Worth the $10 IMO.
    That's DJ's way of saying "Atta Boy, Bill".

patswin
    patswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10189

i remember the thread last year at sfw. it was a good system.
    thanks for posting

Bill the cop

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    For reference, here is the link to this strategy's previous lively debate: College betting model.
    Yes, much handwringing by the local intelligentcia last year. Amazing, no comprehension of the logical "spread" between the D/O and F/U results in highly correlated games. Lets say a hypothetical game has a 1st half line of 25 and a total of 25, the F/U has NO chance of hitting, but the D/O still has a chance to come in. Now, just back that line off to 21 and leave the totaL alone at 25. The F/U CAN come in, but extremely unlikely, whereas the D/O still has about a 20% chance of hitting.

As I stated above, last year, F/O33, D/O 9, F/U 3. People can rant and rave all they want, I'll be cashing those tickets again this year!

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

Yeah it wouldn't let me read the thread without paying $10. I ain't paying no tout service a dime, let alone $10.

donjuan

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    that's dj's way of saying "atta boy, bill".:d
    lol wtf???
    Last edited by donjuan; 08-23-11 at 04:14 PM.

Bill the cop

"If I ever get shown up by BTC please kill me."

BAM!!!

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

be glad if it is a useable subset and people still dont buy into it. makes it less likely books willsee a rise in action and thus make adjustments. That mistake was made when people talked about the alternate runlines and how they were not right. They closed that advantage pretty quickly. that is why I am hesitant posting anything completely verifiable anymore. There still are a few spots but they get smaller and smaller each year.

jolmscheid
    jolmscheid's Avatar Become A Pro!

It seems like it should be a good strategy the way you have laid it out Bill....

jolmscheid

Any other teaser angles that are good for NCAAF?

What about NFL Wongs? Are they dried up by now?

wiffle

Quote Originally Posted by jolmscheid View Post
    any other teaser angles that are good for ncaaf?

What about nfl wongs? Are they dried up by now?
    TEASE ALL DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!l!!!!!!

dogman
    dogman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10905

Just like correlated parlays with the F/O and D/U are all gone because the books were losing money on them so to will these as more people know about them . Better to keep the good stuff under wraps. Like BTC mentioned last year try to bet these at different books and not the same one.

The correlation is there but just not as strong as "the other ones". Also if you just bet the OVER in the first half in these games you had a very profitable year.

donjuan

Quote Originally Posted by Bill the cop View Post

Ahh, I wonder what those FP, DP, PO and PU stats mean if I ignored them?

F/P you lose money, D/P you win money, P/U you lose money, P/O you win money, those outcomes pretty much cancel each other out (but I'm sure you already figured that out).
    I should have made clear I was talking about your explanation for why you think it's a good spot. The rest is clearly just data-mined garbage.

jolmscheid

Quote Originally Posted by wiffle View Post
    TEASE ALL DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!l!!!!!!
    For pre season or regular season?

wiffle

lol, i was kidding

wiffle

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!l!!!!!!! !!!!!

tomcowley
    tomcowley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6786

BtBD

12 Last