ws1975
    ws1975's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1486

Opponent Opponents Average

Does anyone here know of a website that calculates a teams opponent opponents points scored and points allowed for college football?

mmortal03
    mmortal03's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1412

Quote Originally Posted by ws1975 View Post
    Does anyone here know of a website that calculates a teams opponent opponents points scored and points allowed for college football?
    I actually wrote my own program to do this, as a component of my computer ranking system. As long as a data set's team names match one of my keys, I'm pretty sure I can calculate the opponents' opponents points scored and points allowed for any season's data. May I ask how you are thinking of applying this stat?

As an aside, I've been away from all of this since the end of the NBA season. It reminds me that I need to start updating my college football program based on the enhancements I made to my NBA program.

Basically, some months ago I finally sat down and wrote the necessary code to allow me to back test how my ranking system when translated to picks performs when applied to the NBA, across whichever season I have data for. Now what I need to do is migrate my code over to do the same for my college football ranking system. This way I can finally do some legitimate research into past college football seasons and have some angles ready for the second half of this season.

I hope I'll have the time to devote to this in the next few months, as I'm also going to be starting night classes next week...

ws1975
    ws1975's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1486

Quote Originally Posted by mmortal03 View Post
    I actually wrote my own program to do this, as a component of my computer ranking system. As long as a data set's team names match one of my keys, I'm pretty sure I can calculate the opponents' opponents points scored and points allowed for any season's data. May I ask how you are thinking of applying this stat?

As an aside, I've been away from all of this since the end of the NBA season. It reminds me that I need to start updating my college football program based on the enhancements I made to my NBA program.

Basically, some months ago I finally sat down and wrote the necessary code to allow me to back test how my ranking system when translated to picks performs when applied to the NBA, across whichever season I have data for. Now what I need to do is migrate my code over to do the same for my college football ranking system. This way I can finally do some legitimate research into past college football seasons and have some angles ready for the second half of this season.

I hope I'll have the time to devote to this in the next few months, as I'm also going to be starting night classes next week...
    I use it for strength of schedule purposes, since SOS is important in college football. I calculate a teams combined opponent PS and PA and compare it an opponents combined opponents PS and PA. For example,

Ohio State's combined opponents PS and PA is 23.4 - 29.2 . Michigan's combined opponents PS and PA is 30.1 - 22.8 .

For Ohio State 23.4+29.2 = 52.6 Then, 23.4 divided by 52.6 = 0.445

For Michigan 30.1 + 22.8 = 52.9 Then 30.1 divided by 52.9 = 0.569

Take Michigan's number 0.569 subtracted by Ohio State's number 0.445 = 0.124 in favor of Michigan.

Take 0.124, move the decimal two places to 012.4 or 12.4% I've determined that Michigan has a 12.4 % stronger schedule than Ohio State.

To get the calculations for a teams combined opponent's PS and PA, I have to list all of the opponents PS and PA and do it by hand, which is so time consuming. It's very similar to what's done here:

http://sportsgambling.about.com/od/n...Lpointdiff.htm

I'm hoping there's a much easier way to get these stats because I usually go through about 40 college games every weekend during the season to find the best value against the point spread.

mmortal03
    mmortal03's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1412

I should develop my code more and put it on a website. It isn't usable by anyone but me at the moment.