Tackleberry
    Tackleberry's Avatar Become A Pro!

excel crashes when refreshing data from web

A sign that it's time for me to get a new computer or could it be in how I have my spreadsheet setup? There are about 200 seperate tables I am trying to refresh, however it takes much less to cause excel to crash.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Are you pulling data from websites or through an ODBC connection?

JVP3122
    JVP3122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

It almost might be better to use Python's scrapy package to get info from a website and store it as a .csv.

Tackleberry

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    Are you pulling data from websites or through an ODBC connection?
    websites

thom321
    thom321's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4983

Are you using any VBA code or do you have 200 live queries that are refreshed e.g. by "Refresh All"? I personally avoid having live queries in my workbooks since it pretty quickly overwhelms Excel, from my experience at least. I sometimes use queries to import the data but only store the data itself and not the query and its associated named range. That approach does require some amount of VBA code.

If you are willing to share the workbook I can take a look and see if I can find a quick fix for it.

TomG
    TomG's Avatar Become A Pro!

pretty standard.

how are the tables organized? are they each on their own tab or on one big worksheet?

Tackleberry

one big worksheet and no VBA code. I was hoping I could get away with this approach but obviously not. Really just wanted to know it's a normal excel issue and not related to my hardware. Will probably be a bit of a headache for me to figure it all out and get it running smoothly but as with everything doing it on my own will allow me to learn much much more. Thanks all.