jolmscheid
    jolmscheid's Avatar Become A Pro!

NHL Database

Thanks in advance as always for your help!

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

espn.com

make one

jolmscheid

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
    espn.com

make one
    Ha Ha...very good point Free Fall...however I am not the most technological kinda guy..

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't know of anything for NHL that works like Sports Database in that you can run queries, etc. What are you looking for exactly? Game-by-game stats? Scores and odds for each game?

jolmscheid

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    I don't know of anything for NHL that works like Sports Database in that you can run queries, etc. What are you looking for exactly? Game-by-game stats? Scores and odds for each game?
    Was just wanting to know how often home underdogs win in the NHL...

jgilmartin

$100, but not very time consuming
    http://www.sportsinsights.com/histor...-download.aspx

Free, but it would take quite a while since you would have to do every team for every season. You would have to paste the data into Excel. It would take a little bit of manipulation, but you certainly could do it.
    covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nhl/teams/pastresults/2010-2011/team13.html (they have a page like this for each team)

Someone else might have a better free solution. The other option I can think of would be signing up for a 1-week free trial of Don Best (if you haven't already done that at some point). They have a line archive that, at least at the time I was using it, pasted well into Excel.

jolmscheid

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    $100, but not very time consuming
    http://www.sportsinsights.com/histor...-download.aspx

Free, but it would take quite a while since you would have to do every team for every season. You would have to paste the data into Excel. It would take a little bit of manipulation, but you certainly could do it.
    covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nhl/teams/pastresults/2010-2011/team13.html (they have a page like this for each team)

Someone else might have a better free solution. The other option I can think of would be signing up for a 1-week free trial of Don Best (if you haven't already done that at some point). They have a line archive that, at least at the time I was using it, pasted well into Excel.
    Thanks for the help.....once I paste the info into excel, then what do I do with it?? HA HA...I wish I knew how to do this techy stuff myself.

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

java or phyton could do it after 2 hours of programming and 10 minutes of execution.

jgilmartin

Quote Originally Posted by jolmscheid View Post
    Thanks for the help.....once I paste the info into excel, then what do I do with it?? HA HA...I wish I knew how to do this techy stuff myself.
    OK, if you were going to use Covers as your data source, you would paste the data so that row 1 had the column headings (so A1 has "Date", B1 has "Vs", C1 has "Score", etc.). Row 2 would be the first game in the list (so A2 is the date of the first game, B2 had the name of the other team, C2 had the score of the game, etc.).

First I would take column H (should be empty) and use it for a clean version of the line (i.e. strictly the number, without "W" or "L" at the beginning). So in cell H2 I would use:

=VALUE(MID(H2,3,4))

And paste that into column H for each row, obviously.

You can sort column B either ascending or descending to sort by home or away, since if the team was away, "@" is the first character of the cell.

You can sort column F either ascending or descending to sort by whether the team won or lost.

You might also want have whether or not they won expressed numerically, so you can calculate say, 'what percentage of the time did a home team with X odds win?' Then you would be able to sort by the moneyline odds and then take the average of a bunch of fields. To do that, you could use this code in cell I2:

=IF(LEFT(C2,1)="W",1,0)

And paste that into column I for each row.

Finally, two friendly pieces of advice:
    1. You need to learn the 'techy stuff'. You will save yourself an outrageous amount of time.
    2. You might be standing at the edge of a giant black hole called data mining. If +120 to +129 home dogs won 47% of the time in your sample, it doesn't mean that will continue going forward.
    Last edited by jgilmartin; 06-27-11 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Extra parentheses

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Let me share something I noticed in NHL.

Home advantage is overrated. It's not big as football.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
    java or phyton could do it after 2 hours of programming and 10 minutes of execution.
    What are you programming that takes two hours to develop and 10 minutes to run?

I call bs.

chopperocker
    Hang on baby, cuz life's a BITCH!!!
    chopperocker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55608

Home Dogs 197-95 ATS 67.47%

Home Dogs 117-141-15-19 SU 40.07%

covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nhl/trends/league/season.html
    Last edited by chopperocker; 07-08-11 at 11:29 PM.

JVP3122
    JVP3122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick22 View Post

What are you programming that takes two hours to develop and 10 minutes to run?

I call bs.
    Well, maybe he's a perfect coder and there's no debugging needed.

jetsjets1028
    jetsjets1028's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1363

GO BRUINS!!!!!! heck yeah