BigFish
    BigFish's Avatar Become A Pro!

DB vs. SportsOptions

What are the relative strengths and weaknesses -- the pros and cons, if you will -- of using one service as opposed to the other. Obviously DB costs a little more, but that difference might easily be made up for if DB offers a competitive advantage over SO. The major areas of comparison, to me, are:

1. Speed/Steam -- which service is more likely to alert the player to a major line move first?

2. Customization -- which service offers the player more user-friendly customized settings? (i.e., the ever-so-useful audio "alerts" so the player need not literally stare at the screen waiting for line moves to occur, etc.).

3. What else? -- What else am I missing, which sets one service apart from the other. Is one service preferable to the other for some sports, but not others, for some reason?

I personally have only used SO, and I have always been very happy with it. Most pros I know tend to use DB, but I get the feeling they haven't tried SO, and use DB simply out of brand loyalty because they've been using it for many many years.

Many thanks for any thoughts/input!!

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1515

The things Don Best has over SO are.... Quicker injury updates (before the line move, not at the same time), real time line moves for Cris (SO is delayed 30 seconds) and each have some different sports books.

With that in mind, I still use SO due to the software and set up of line histories. (Laid out way better than DB's.) They're also suppose to have a smart phone version to go with your account for football season.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    With that in mind, I still use SO due to the software and set up of line histories. (Laid out way better than DB's.)
    This. The SO software is 1000x better. It is also $200 cheaper / month.

Pancho sanza
    Pancho sanza's Avatar Become A Pro!

I ran them side by side last year for a few days, no comparison , Don Best premium was much better in every way.

You gets what you pay for.

BigFish

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho sanza View Post
    I ran them side by side last year for a few days, no comparison , Don Best premium was much better in every way.

You gets what you pay for.
    Pancho:

I assume that means it was faster to pick up line movement?

BigFish

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1515

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    This. The SO software is 1000x better. It is also $200 cheaper / month.
    They jacked the price up. It's now $350 a month.

Pancho sanza
    Pancho sanza's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    Pancho:

I assume that means it was faster to pick up line movement?

BigFish
    Among other things, yes.

No idea if SO has caught up.

ferndog
    ferndog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1731

DB gives you plenty of steam plays but dont know if SO has any.

jgilmartin

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    They jacked the price up. It's now $350 a month.
    Ahh, right you are. You have to buy 3+ months for $300 now.

VegasVixen
    Update your status
    VegasVixen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1357

Quote Originally Posted by ferndog View Post
    DB gives you plenty of steam plays but dont know if SO has any.

They do. It also tracks the W/L record for steam for any date range you request.

sportscash
    See ya SBR
    sportscash's Avatar Become A Pro!

So these are the best 2 i presume ? are there any other cheaper options that are still worth having ?

BigFish

Quote Originally Posted by sportscash View Post
    So these are the best 2 i presume ? are there any other cheaper options that are still worth having ?
    Yes, these are the best two. There's another somewhat similar service called sportsinsights which costs much less, but I'm pretty sure you get what you pay for with them.

sportscash
    See ya SBR

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    Yes, these are the best two. There's another somewhat similar service called sportsinsights which costs much less, but I'm pretty sure you get what you pay for with them.

jgilmartin

TXODDS has a pro service (110 EUR / month) that claims to be the fastest service available. It is very Euro-centric but does have American sports also. It says they offer over 200 bookmakers but I don't see a full list anywhere. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a free trial available, but it might be worth a look.

http://txodds.com/v2/0/services.pro.html

sportscash
    See ya SBR

Thanks i will check it out

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

I use S.O. because they post soccer odds from Lucky's, Cal Neva, and Leroy's. Sometimes Strat will pop up there with some odds, but very seldom.

Hilton was the only book with soccer on Don Best and there was very little value.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Quote Originally Posted by goblue12 View Post
    I use S.O. because they post soccer odds from Lucky's, Cal Neva, and Leroy's. Sometimes Strat will pop up there with some odds, but very seldom.

Hilton was the only book with soccer on Don Best and there was very little value.
    I always assumed don best was the best for vegas books in general, maybe don best doesnt have the soccer lines?

Until Don best works on Macs, I really have no choice but to use sports options. Sports options is supposed to have a mobile application ready to go for the ipad, it's unbelievable to me don best is so far behind on this.