ScreaminPain
    ScreaminPain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3172

Evaluating baseball steaks...

I'm attempting to fnd "clues" that identify a streak in baseball. I thnk it's fair to say that streaks exist, but I'm wondering how one could quantifiably identify WHEN a streak is immenint or HOW LONG a steak will last.

It seems I always "jump on board" just as a steak is ending or has ended.

I'm going to spend this baseball season looking a teams streaks and logging data that may be of value later. For those who have spent time on modeling, can you give me some direction as to reliable information that may reveal an impending streak....winning or losing!

MY THOUGHTS:

It seems obvious that scheduling is a big factor. It should be expected that a superior team playing a set of games against inferior opponents MAY result in a winning streak. How would one compare or evaluate a schedule to identify a possible winning streak. ie....Home/Road, etc.

I have data for pitchers and teams that span different time periods. For instance, I have the usual set of YTD data. Secondly, I have data from the past 14 days and lastly I have data for the past 7 days. If you were to use this data, how much weight would you give each set. In other words, is YTD data worth twice as much as current data?....half as much?...how is data collected from the past 7 days more important than YTD data. If you were to put a percentage on Pitcher data, for instance, what % of importance would you give for each of these:

Year-to-date stats
    Past 3 starts
    Home/Road
    Last start

I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but I've got the time and inclination. It will also hone my weak but improving, excel skills during the evaluation processes.

Good luck with your action....

illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Streaks happen because of variance and because individual players on a team are playing well. Streaks are not some magical separate entity from the players and teams. A team that has won 5 n a row might be -120 in a spot where they are usually +105. They aren't 25 points better because they are on a streak. They are 25 points better because they are currently a good team.

Peregrine Stoop
    Peregrine Stoop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 779

I opened this thread expecting to find pictures of juicy cuts of meat

xX Das Boot Xx
    xX Das Boot Xx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

^exactly...wheres my baseball steak?

CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7628

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Stoop View Post
    I opened this thread expecting to find pictures of juicy cuts of meat
    well you have got a better chance of learning something talking about steaks rather than streaks or stakes.

2 inch thick steaks, meat at room temp, pat dry and rub with grounded black pepper. heat pan till smoking (no oil) 2 mins each side. Oven gas mark 5. 10 mins medium 20 well done.
    deglaze pan with a shot of brandy, 50 ml stock reduce and pour in 150 ml cream.

WendysRox
    WendysRox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

I understand your concern... I have had a little experience in this field and I'd be glad to help!

First of all, not all steaks are created equal. There are different types of beef from different regions of the world. Also, what the cattle are being fed is crucial. Another thing to consider is general quality of life for the bovine. I know it sounds crazy, but a happier cow really does make for a better tasting steak!

Now, to your real question: How long a steak will last... This requires some relevant data to conclude, but overall, I'd say an hour is about right. That's complete from ordering the steak to the paying of the check. I'd suggest taking a job as a waiter for a few months to collect your own data. This type of real-world experience is better than any advice that you'll get from a sports forum.

As for this comment: "It seems I always "jump on board" just as a steak is ending or has ended." I'd suggest ordering your own steak. Honestly, this trend is not that common. I don't know why you are having to split your steak with others (maybe money troubles, maybe you're a woman that only gets a few bites of her husband's steak, I just don't know). If you do find yourself in the unfortunate situation of "jumping on board" just when the steak is ending, remember: there are usually other side items readily available such as bread, salad, crackers, or a baked potato. Many people don't realize that the skin of the potato is full of vitamins and minerals.

I look forward to following your progress. I hope this helps!

GL
    Points Awarded:

Maverick22 gave WendysRox 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Raybolts, and LLXC

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Isn't a baseball steak a hotdog? am i missing something here?

JustinBieber
    JustinBieber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 149

Lol WendysRox attempting to troll. This is exactly the kind of question that you ask.

WendysRox
    WendysRox's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by JustinBieber View Post
    Lol WendysRox attempting to troll. This is exactly the kind of question that you ask.
    I'm so ashamed. I actually had a question to ask today, but now I'm afraid to do so.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

you can never go wrong with a good porter house. with some A-1. And a twice baked potato. Heck or even a few shrimp

JoeVig
    JoeVig's Avatar Become A Pro!

HP Brown Sauce mates?

Thremp
    Thremp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Putting steak sauce on a "good" steak should be a punishable crime. Maybe not cutting off your hands or branding. But public humiliation and a good lashing.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Quote Originally Posted by Thremp View Post
    Putting steak sauce on a "good" steak should be a punishable crime. Maybe not cutting off your hands or branding. But public humiliation and a good lashing.

Salmon Steak
    Salmon Steak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

My name has Steak in it. Does that help?

BeatingBaseball
    It's all about the price
    BeatingBaseball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

Posting FOUR consecutive victories officially constitutes a streak - an achievement which traditionally calls for celebratory cocktails and a good steak.

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Wow, a lot of comedians here....... c'mon guys, you can do better