Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

MLB Windspeed to runs conversion?

Has anyone found any studies on the effect of windspeed and direction of the wind on scoring in MLB? It is common knowledge about Wrigley's changing wind, but it obviously has a lesser effect at other parks. How do you quantify it?

lovesbaseball1
    lovesbaseball1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

I've looked pretty hard and not come up with anything decent.

Not only is there nothing decent out there, I think the wind data in the retrosheet box scores is probably poor quality.

Wind must effect every stadium differently, a wind blowing in 20 mph can't possibly have the same effect in tall, retractable roof stadium as it does in fairly open center field parks. Plus, some stadiums probably funnel the wind in weird ways. A wind in from LF could probably benefit a ball hit to RC or RF in some parks.

Anyway, I don't have the answers, but would be willing to pay for good info if anyone has some.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

The categories they used in the test aren't ideal, IMO, but:
    http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...he-wind-blows/

I would also pay for good info on this if anyone has.
    Last edited by jgilmartin; 04-03-11 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Added the second bit

Thremp
    Thremp's Avatar Become A Pro!

This idea is virtually useless without HitFx

illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Thremp View Post
    This idea is virtually useless without HitFx
    , which doesn't exist?

the_mathman
    the_mathman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2360

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    Has anyone found any studies on the effect of windspeed and direction of the wind on scoring in MLB? It is common knowledge about Wrigley's changing wind, but it obviously has a lesser effect at other parks. How do you quantify it?

lol
    never end learning!

70kgman
    70kgman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1895

Speaking of wind speed, does anyone know if weather.com is going to bring back their MLB forecast page? It is not there anymore. Don't know if they abandoned that sub page permanently or are just late putting it back up for this season.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by 70kgman View Post
    Speaking of wind speed, does anyone know if weather.com is going to bring back their MLB forecast page? It is not there anymore. Don't know if they abandoned that sub page permanently or are just late putting it back up for this season.
    http://www.weather.com/services/Desktop_MLB_Sales.html

CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7628

It always makes me laugh how Books can be so sharp but never think of the effect weather might have on a game and implenment it into their odds or how stupid a punter is thinking they dont.

specialronnie29
    specialronnie29's Avatar Become A Pro!

all i know is take the under on cubs games with wind blowing out

every loser 'handicapper' thinks hes the only genius who thinks of the wind and they all pound over

evo34
    evo34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4198

Quote Originally Posted by specialronnie29 View Post
    all i know is take the under on cubs games with wind blowing out every loser 'handicapper' thinks hes the only genius who thinks of the wind and they all pound over
    Actually, quite the opposite. The smart money has been on the over when wind blowing out in Wrigley. An astounding 71-39 over record since 2006 (with no losing seasons) when wind out to RF, CF or LF, according to Covers.

AlwaysFadeMe
    AlwaysFadeMe's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Lackey pitches take the OVER

roanildinho
    roanildinho's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1778

justin7, this idea is crazy bro.

No player hits a run because of windspeed and even so how can we know when the wind will be toward our team or against it.

sharpcircle
    sharpcircle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

roanidinho,

Read more, post less

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    How do you quantify it?
    Usually in miles per hour.

I would give you some insight, but you'd probably just put it in your next book.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Every stadium is different. I would think the best way to approach it would be to rate teams and pitchers by their distribution of fly balls vs ground balls. A fly ball pitcher in a mild wind blowing out to center is probably more likely to be affected than a ground ball pitcher in heavy wind. Likewise for teams that hit a lot of balls in the air.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

As most will remember, the first season in new Yankee stadium had a well reported bias. Windspeed and direction were researched in newspapers lol. I believe they made some small adjustments that redirected the wind flow at the end of that season. (this opens the door as well to unreported countermeasures from season to season).

At this point, sharing numerical information (that people can just enter into Excel) is the same as giving everybody you play against a little extra advantage. Same as paying for sharing info.

evo34

I believe Justin was simply asking, "how do you quantify it?" -- not, "please turn over your entire database to me so I can rape you."

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    As most will remember, the first season in new Yankee stadium had a well reported bias. Windspeed and direction were researched in newspapers lol. I believe they made some small adjustments that redirected the wind flow at the end of that season. (this opens the door as well to unreported countermeasures from season to season). At this point, sharing numerical information (that people can just enter into Excel) is the same as giving everybody you play against a little extra advantage. Same as paying for sharing info.

Smogs
    Smogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 499

Quote Originally Posted by evo34 View Post

Actually, quite the opposite. The smart money has been on the over when wind blowing out in Wrigley. An astounding 71-39 over record since 2006 (with no losing seasons) when wind out to RF, CF or LF, according to Covers.
    Nice stats - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcircle View Post
    roanidinho,

Read more, post less

Smogs
    Smogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 499

You'd have to look at those whose strikeouts are low but love the fly balls. If lincecum went to wrigley in an out blowing game, i'd think twice before betting the over, but if tim wakefield went then that 71-39 record has to be backed

RichardGeorge
    RichardGeorge's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think a bigger effect on the totals is the humidity during gametime.

If you ever go to Fenway Park on a hot and humid night, the ball usually flies out of there. But on cold nights when the air is dry, the ball doesn't go nearly as far. I mention Fenway because I live in the area and have been to countless amount of games and seen this first hand. It would help if other "locals" could share some of there examples...

evo34

Most people who have tried to anaylze humidity's effect (controlled for wind and temp.) on FB distance have concluded that it's close to neutral. Mainly bc the moist air is less dense (good for more distance), but the ball will be wetter and heavier (bad for distance). The two effects seem to offset.

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

think you have to think at what point mph has an effect.....also how about crosswinds ????gusty
    something over at google..physics 199BB...physics of baseball
    Last edited by JR007; 06-21-11 at 12:12 PM.