xyz
    xyz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3251

Football: why do the money line odds come out later in the week?

I have noticed that the moneyline odds come later in the week. In both the Greek and Bookmaker currently, there are spreads available for this week's college and pro football games. But moneyline odds are not yet available. Why do books do this? What can we learn from this? Thanks for the insight.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

Because the first thing to come out is a point spread. Technically the point spread should be priced based on the total and the ML, but because the spread comes out first and gets sharpened the ML ends up being priced based on the spread and total. So to answer your question, they want the spread to be sharpened a bit and then they will base the ML off of that and the total.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

why the AFL come out with ML odds then the spreads. who is doing it ass backwards? aussies or yankees?

Ganchrow
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
    Ganchrow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1088

Quote Originally Posted by picoman View Post
    why the AFL come out with ML odds then the spreads. who is doing it ass backwards? aussies or yankees?
    Just two sides of thew same coin.

Helmut
    Helmut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why no overnight line on college basketball totals?

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Because when they used to have overnight CBB Hoops, sharps KILLED the books.

etothep
    etothep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6826

On a similar note: why do Totals come out later than the spreads?

pats3peat
    LETS GO PATS
    pats3peat's Avatar Become A Pro!

etothep good q

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

totals are more senstive to weather and other external factors. the forecasting of these external factors have higher error margin in respect to time.

that is why you see pinnacle have the cubs home totals out couple of hours before the game.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by picoman View Post
    totals are more senstive to weather and other external factors. the forecasting of these external factors have higher error margin in respect to time.

that is why you see pinnacle have the cubs home totals out couple of hours before the game.
    picoman,

I think the original question was in regards to college basketball totals, so weather is not a factor.

Seems to me that with the sharps crushing CBB Totals when they were posted overnight, books now want to post them as late as possible to limit unwanted exposure. I remember early last season when there was a time that CBB Totals weren't posted until around 3PM ET on game days.

Brady2Moss
    Brady2Moss's Avatar Become A Pro!

I remember that also, I got on that train and started chasing some heavy steam on CBB plays, was a nice little side profit for me.