CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

MLB Database

I have saved files from the past 10 seasons that involve basically every statistic known to man. I've tried including that with how teams have faired vs every individual team + ats/o/u statistics the past 5 seasons. How does one wrap this altogether and make a successful database? I'm successful at baseball but I want to have something that can tell me what side is right and compare that to how the line is moving on the day a team plays.

I try and track everything on Adobe and Excel...there's just so much to go through.

illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm in the same boat as you. IDK if this helps but I was just planning on hiring a programmer from one of those freelance sites. You should do that if it's overwhelming.

CanuckG

I have a friend who is good at that and that's what I'm going to do. When it is finished I'll probably release it. Not sure yet. Took a long time to get this info, credit to many anonymous people out there.

kpoutlaw
    kpoutlaw's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by illfuuptn View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. IDK if this helps but I was just planning on hiring a programmer from one of those freelance sites. You should do that if it's overwhelming.
    Can you do that - Just collect the data and have some computer savvy programmer make an advanced modelling program for you? How much would it cost - a ballpark figure?

Thanks.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by kpoutlaw View Post

Can you do that - Just collect the data and have some computer savvy programmer make an advanced modelling program for you? How much would it cost - a ballpark figure?

Thanks.
    You still would need to come up with all the formulas for the programmer to use in the model. If you did that, as well as had a properly formatted database, you could get it done fairly cheaply; < $500 I'd say, based on the fact that you can hire developers for < $15/hour on those sites.

illfuuptn

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    You still would need to come up with all the formulas for the programmer to use in the model. If you did that, as well as had a properly formatted database, you could get it done fairly cheaply; < $500 I'd say, based on the fact that you can hire developers for < $15/hour on those sites.
    I plan on doing this but have never done it before. How long does it take them? Should I assume it's about $500/15=33.3333 hours? Do they work on your project full time or do they have other projects on the table as well?

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

I plan on doing this but have never done it before. How long does it take them? Should I assume it's about $500/15=33.3333 hours? Do they work on your project full time or do they have other projects on the table as well?
    It depends; you will have to talk to the individual developer about it. I do all of this kind of stuff myself so honestly I don't really keep track of the hours, but scraping the data and determining the proper formulas is the hard part.

CanuckG

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    Interesting. Thank you.

slickeddie
    slickeddie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 73

Try Guru . Com

CanuckG

Guru.com seems cool but too much of a hassle. Hopefully guy I knows can do it. Thanks though.

mikeanite
    mikeanite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 582

oh ya, Guru. if they think it's useful they'll take ur idea too

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

Dont give a single programmer the entire programmer to work on. split it up. so they dont and cant know how the entire thing works or is designed or even does...

Easier said than done.

CanuckG

Project is on its way. I have 3 of my friends who are good with this stuff...who also gamble helping me. I have school right now so when we all get home we'll be putting a lot of time into it. I'm getting messages asking for help...I appreciate it but when it's done and the time is right I'll be happy to release everything...especially if it's successful during the MLB season. I'll be tracking plays in my MLB thread...and posting a 'rating' system I'm using with this database.

Maverick22

Are you using a database application[like oracle, mysql, db2, etc] or using excel?

CanuckG

I'll let you know...they would know. I'm clueless when it comes to this.

CanuckG

Using Oracle and excel. Will have screenshots of progress tomorrow.

Maverick22

you are using both? wow. i'd be interested to see how that works.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas
    mebaran's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

I would also be interested in how it turns out.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9978

Canuck - I just posted looking for something like what you may already have. It sounds like you are going to have way more data than I need - but basically I am trying to find somewhere that I can download the closing lines and final scores for every baseball game the last few years. I am sure it is out there somewhere and hoping someone on here knows where. I have been manually entering data from the past few years into a spreadsheet but it is TIME CONSUMING and right now I am just cherry picking the data I need - so when I find something else I want to test - I have to do the same exercise.

Is your data manipulatable to where you could pull out that? I could throw some points your way or figure something else out.....let me know!

illfuuptn

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    Canuck - I just posted looking for something like what you may already have. It sounds like you are going to have way more data than I need - but basically I am trying to find somewhere that I can download the closing lines and final scores for every baseball game the last few years. I am sure it is out there somewhere and hoping someone on here knows where. I have been manually entering data from the past few years into a spreadsheet but it is TIME CONSUMING and right now I am just cherry picking the data I need - so when I find something else I want to test - I have to do the same exercise.

Is your data manipulatable to where you could pull out that? I could throw some points your way or figure something else out.....let me know!
    Sportsinsights. $100 for an individual sport. $200 for all sports. Has opener, closer, and final score.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: CanuckG

CanuckG

I do have old scores with closing lines..date backs only til 2005-2006 season though.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9978

Sportsinsights. $100 for an individual sport. $200 for all sports. Has opener, closer, and final score.
    I did find them after I posted this - have you ever used them? Data is pretty accurate for most parts?? $100 is a great deal - even a smaller bettor can get that money back if they make a few units cause of the data!!!

illfuuptn

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    I did find them after I posted this - have you ever used them? Data is pretty accurate for most parts?? $100 is a great deal - even a smaller bettor can get that money back if they make a few units cause of the data!!!
    Yeah I bought them for baseball. They are pretty accurate as far as I can tell. They send them to you in an excel sheet.

CanuckG

Hopefully put up some screenshots by midnight...and start handicapping these games for tomorrow.

mikeanite
    mikeanite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 582

what's the best stat to look at in mlb?

CanuckG

Little taste of a match up tomorrow. Database is done and I plug in the stats on excel for each game. I then use a formula to display the value of a team on any given night.

CanuckG

This is just a simplified version. There's much more indepth info but the VALUE is the key. If the were to skyrocket for LAD and hit -120 for some reason I'd stay off and jump on SF. Total is set at 6.5 tomorrow and all indications are saying take the over with the data I have..but the line is sharp so I'll probably stay off.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

Canuck, how do you come up with projected line?? I can come up with projected runs and all that, but i can never seem to get to the final ML value. Any help would be appreciated

arwar
    arwar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1544

i can tell you that if you work off freelance site - don't expect fluent English. I code these things - fast. tonite i finished up a little app for grabbing the starting mlb lineups every day. seems like every year it's a pain in the ass to get the lineups. anyway i have tons of databases and can thow together quick code - usually in a day or so. If anyone is interested send me a PM. everything i put here on SBR is free and just to help out. i am particularly interested in Sagarin baseball ratings and ideas on how to incorporate them into a model. After working with his numbers over the past few years in basketball, it finally occured to me these ratings are goldmines because the down and dirty statistical analysis is incorporated in the final numbers. i recently did a program for an NBA scout who needed to buil a database on every college player at all 345 schools. he used the distilled sagarin number for each school as a factor for all the players on that team, since it already contained all the factors (such as strength of schedule) that he was concerned with. anyway good luck with baseball.

gohabsgo
    gohabsgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

I have a baseball database as well. It's written in php, javascipt and mysql.

www.mlbdb.com

I put a lot of work into it, there is a few things i need to fix and i need to create new queries like sorting results by month.

lovesbaseball1
    lovesbaseball1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Quote Originally Posted by arwar View Post
    i can tell you that if you work off freelance site - don't expect fluent English. I code these things - fast. tonite i finished up a little app for grabbing the starting mlb lineups every day. seems like every year it's a pain in the ass to get the lineups. anyway i have tons of databases and can thow together quick code - usually in a day or so. If anyone is interested send me a PM. everything i put here on SBR is free and just to help out. i am particularly interested in Sagarin baseball ratings and ideas on how to incorporate them into a model. After working with his numbers over the past few years in basketball, it finally occured to me these ratings are goldmines because the down and dirty statistical analysis is incorporated in the final numbers. i recently did a program for an NBA scout who needed to buil a database on every college player at all 345 schools. he used the distilled sagarin number for each school as a factor for all the players on that team, since it already contained all the factors (such as strength of schedule) that he was concerned with. anyway good luck with baseball.
    what's your source for the lineups?

Wallco99
    Wallco99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39200

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    I have saved files from the past 10 seasons that involve basically every statistic known to man. I've tried including that with how teams have faired vs every individual team + ats/o/u statistics the past 5 seasons. How does one wrap this altogether and make a successful database? I'm successful at baseball but I want to have something that can tell me what side is right and compare that to how the line is moving on the day a team plays.

I try and track everything on Adobe and Excel...there's just so much to go through.
    Do any of you guys know where I can find the daily information, scores with final lines, like scoresandodds.com does, before the year 2007. They seem to stop keeping track in late 2006.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Quote Originally Posted by gohabsgo View Post
    I have a baseball database as well. It's written in php, javascipt and mysql.

www.mlbdb.com

I put a lot of work into it, there is a few things i need to fix and i need to create new queries like sorting results by month.
    Interesting database and site habs. Great job

uva3021
    uva3021's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 381

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    Canuck, how do you come up with projected line?? I can come up with projected runs and all that, but i can never seem to get to the final ML value. Any help would be appreciated
    pythagorean win expectation