Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Failed catcher turned dh is Schwarber for sure. Hits some majestic bombs though.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Failed catcher turned dh is Schwarber for sure. Hits some majestic bombs though.
    that's for sure

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Gausman getting the big time Money
    Blue Jays will be expecting highly from him

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 513

12:42 PM: Though he made no express commitments, Sternberg made his disappointment with the Executive Council’s decision clear. When asked explicitly if he’d explore moving the franchise out of the Tampa Bay region, Sternberg neither confirmed nor denied that such an idea had entered into his plans, stating that club brass “will see how the stands look this year…to help inform us as we move forward” but that they had been “all-in on this plan” and had “completely pushed our chips in.
    The owner also made a bit of news in disclosing that he’s privy to full-season proposals currently being put together by both the city of Tampa and Pinellas County (home to St. Petersburg) but expressed doubts about the long-term viability of either (it isn’t clear if Tampa’s full-season proposal involves the same Ybor City site that the split-season proposal did). Though he stated that “the region is willing to and able to and looking forward to supporting us in every way it can” and that he was “certainly going to be exploring things in the Tampa Bay region,” he also expressed doubts that the region could “handle 81 games of baseball…that just hasn’t happened to this point.” Asked directly if Tampa deserves a full-season baseball team, Sternberg responded simply that it “deserves to have baseball.
    Most striking, perhaps, were Sternberg’s comments on the long-term viability of single-city teams, even as he stands alone among owners in major sports in proposing a split-city arrangement. “Partial seasons are going to be the wave of the future in professional sports,” he stated, adding that Montreal has “earned the right to have baseball back.
    11:58 AM: In a blow to principal owner Stuart Sternberg’s attempts to secure a new ballpark in or around the city of Tampa, the Major League Baseball Executive Council officially quashed the Rays’ plans to split time between Tampa and Montreal, reports Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. MLB had given the Rays permission to explore the ’sister city’ concept in 2019.
    The decision puts the Rays future in the Tampa Bay region very much in doubt. As MLBTR explored last week, Tampa mayor Jane Castor expressed her commitment to keeping the Rays in the area but offered only qualified support for a proposed $700MM open-air ballpark in the northeast Tampa neighborhood of Ybor City, stating that the community would be best served by keeping the team in Tampa while all but ruling out the possibility of a significant investment of public funds into the project. The Rays had committed $350MM to the project.
    It’s presently unclear whether the Ybor City plan, which called for the construction of a similar park in Montreal to host half the team’s games, is now effectively dead as well. Though unusual, the plan was not unprecedented. In both 2003 and 2004, their final two seasons before relocating to Washington, D.C., the Expos played 22 of their 81 home games at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, Puerto Rico while under the stewardship of Major League Baseball; the league bought the team from Jeffrey Loria (who subsequently purchased the Marlins) ahead of the 2003 season.
    The Rays’ lease on Tropicana Field — an object of near-universal derision around the game — runs through 2027. It obviously isn’t yet clear what would happen thereafter should the Rays fail to secure a new stadium, but a move to Nashville — where a group calling itself Music City Baseball has attempted to organize both an ownership group and community support for a potential big-league team in the city — could be an entirely live possibility. High-profile individuals associated with the project include former United States Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, former Titans running back Eddie George, and current White Sox manager Tony La Russa.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

I'm sure he's one player who is secretly hoping for the universal DH to be a thing permanently so he can play in either league increasing his value.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

DH's and RP's will never get max value like a Trout, or Tatis or any other five tool positional player.
    Reason being they're one dimensional.

Trend seems to be going upward towards multi-functional utility players on most 40 man rosters.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 422

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    DH's and RP's will never get max value like a Trout, or Tatis or any other five tool positional player.

Trend seems to be going upward towards multi-functional utility players on most 40 man rosters.
    True too many five tool players out there anyway

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

DHs are not real ballplayers, more like beer league softball.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    DHs are not real ballplayers, more like beer league softball.
    John Kruk anyone?

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Kruk would be a stud in beer league, lol.

EmpireMaker

• The Pirates lost a member of their coaching staff earlier this week, as Glenn Sherlock is set to become the Mets’ new bench coach. Speaking about Sherlock’s departure with The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Kevin Gorman and other reporters, Pirates GM Ben Cherington said that the team probably won’t “replace Sherls in a formal kind of way.” Sherlock didn’t have a formal title on Pittsburgh’s staff, though his primary duties involved working with the team’s catchers. Cherington noted that some of the Bucs’ other coaches with catching experience (such as Mike Rabelo, Radley Haddad, and bullpen catcher Jordan Comadena) can help fill the void left by Sherlock’s departure, and “there may be an opportunity to grow some people’s roles in that area.”
    • Jack Flaherty is scheduled for free agency following the 2023 season, but even with the Cardinals’ team control winding down, Ben Frederickson of The St. Louis Post-Dispatch figures the club will wait until next spring to really delve into extension talks. After a big 2019 season, Flaherty ran into some struggles in the pandemic-shortened 2020 campaign, and then tossed only 78 1/3 innings last year due to oblique and shoulder injuries. Since any Cards extension offer in the near future is likely to be tempered by this recent track record, Flaherty himself would probably prefer to re-establish his value with a healthy and productive 2022 season before committing to a longer-term deal. Flaherty is projected for a $5.1MM salary next year via arbitration, and even those shorter-term talks will be interesting considering Flaherty and the Cardinals went to a hearing (won by Flaherty) last spring.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

John Kruk anyone?
    That picture reminds me of that famous quote by John Kruk "I ain't an athlete lady, I'm a baseball player"
    He definitely didn't have an athletes body but he could rake man I'll give him that.
    Last edited by jrgum3; 01-22-22 at 02:43 AM.

JAKEPEAVY21

Kruk might have been a good fullback.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

John Kruk anyone?
    buttons bursting with pride

stevenash

Congrats to Cesar Tovar, Ron Gardenhire, and Dan Gladden.

Just inducted to the Twins Hall of Fame.

Tovar could rake man.
    I was a little leaguer, but I remember him slapping balls on the screws.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Well deserved for the Twinkies.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

John Kruk anyone?
    Pot belly

stevenash

Well deserved for the Twinkies.
    All three were great choices.
    When I was a wee Nasher Tovar's batting stance caught my eye.
    Those Venezuelans hate to take a walk man, he had 700+ at bats in three different seasons.
    Who gets 700 at bats a season these days?
    My favorite Tovar stat, in 1971 he stole 18 bases, got caught 14 times.
    His caught stealing ratio has to be way up there on the all time worst list.
    But as I said, he could spank that ball.

Gladden was a gamer, Gardenhire great underrated manager.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Don’t really know of Tovar, but great info Nasher!

EmpireMaker

The Cardinals have entered each of the past four seasons with Paul DeJong as the Opening Day shortstop. He’d earned the starting nod in 2018 after hitting .285/.325/.532 across 443 plate appearances as a rookie the year prior. DeJong’s next two seasons weren’t quite as strong, but he still combined slightly above-average offense with highly-regarded glovework.
    Over the last two years, though, DeJong’s production at the dish has tailed off. Going back to the start of 2020, he’s just a .213/.295/.378 hitter over 576 trips to the plate. That led to a fall down the batting order and eventually, a reduction in playing time. Edmundo Sosa took the lion’s share of at-bats in the season’s final month, and erstwhile skipper Mike Shildt turned to Sosa in a must-win Wild Card game.
    With how the second half of the season played out, it seemed like DeJong could wind up as a trade candidate this winter. The free agent shortstop class was loaded with stars, and the Cardinals don’t have many obvious areas of need on the position player side. Yet there was no indication St. Louis made much effort to move DeJong in the early stages of the offseason, and Derrick Goold of the Post-Dispatch now writes that the Cardinals “were not active in discussions with any player in this marquee class of free-agent shortstops” prior to the lockout.
    While it’s possible the team ignites free agent discussions after the transactions freeze — Carlos Correa and Trevor Story remain available — it seems likelier shortstop will be DeJong’s job to lose. Not only was he not the subject of any trade rumors of note, Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak and general manager Mike Girsch gave DeJong a public vote of confidence at November’s GM Meetings. According to Goold, Cardinals executives also privately expressed confidence in DeJong’s ability to right the ship and reclaim the shortstop job in 2022. (Those conversations also occurred before the lockout, which includes a prohibition on contact between team staff and players on the 40-man roster).
    DeJong’s contact rate and overall average exit velocity have each dipped over the past couple seasons. Yet he actually barreled balls up at a career-best 10.6% clip last year, and his exit velocity on balls hit in the air hasn’t meaningfully changed. That provides some reason for optimism DeJong’s offensive production can improve, particularly if last season’s .212 batting average on balls in play regresses closer to his .282 career mark. The 28-year-old isn’t merely resting on his laurels awaiting better batted ball fortune, however, as he chats with Goold about changes he’s made to his offseason training routine.
    Regardless of whether he rebounds offensively, DeJong should be a key part of a high-end defensive infield. He’s coming off a season regarded highly by both Defensive Runs Saved and Outs Above Average, and DRS has pegged DeJong as a plus gloveman throughout his career. Sosa remains on hand as a potential fallback option, coming off a nice .271/.346/.389 showing. DeJong is guaranteed around $6.167MM next season and is controllable through 2025 under the terms of the contract extension he signed four seasons ago.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Congrats to Cesar Tovar, Ron Gardenhire, and Dan Gladden.

Just inducted to the Twins Hall of Fame.

Tovar could rake man.
    I was a little leaguer, but I remember him slapping balls on the screws.
    Danny Gladden was a good ballplayer. I remember those Twins championship teams pretty fondly. Everyone loved Kirby Puckett and Kent Hrbek but Danny Gladden played a key role scoring the winning run against the Braves all those years ago to win the World Series.

stevenash

Don’t really know of Tovar, but great info Nasher!
    I was like six years old when I first realized I like that baseball thig.
    Started with Little League when I was eight.
    Grew up with Phil Rizzuto "Holy Cow" on the radio.
    There was one "Game of the Week" that was on ABC or NBC, I forget.
    We got Yankee games on PIX 11 maybe three times a week.
    For some reason whenever the Twins were on TV as a kid I paid attention, because I liked pitching more than hitting, and those Twins had both.

I remember that Tovar funky stance.

stevenash

^
    Retired in '76, died way to young in '94
    Good man, one of my very influences.
    Very good stick, not much power, super utility guy, I love those utility guys.

This is a quick, very good read.

https://www.startribune.com/cesar-to...sse/600137779/

JAKEPEAVY21

They left out Gary Gaetti.

stevenash

Really?
    I just assumed he was in the Twins HoF so I didn't pay attention to that.

stevenash

I wonder why, Gary's in.
    Scroll down to class of 2007.
    That's a very impressive list of baseball people in the Twins Hall btw

https://twinstrivia.com/twins-hall-of-fame/

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Who is Arod dating now? He was at the Packers game yesterday with some blonde.

EmpireMaker

Since the lockout has resulted in close to two very quiet months of offseason activity, teams will have plenty to do once the Major League transactions freeze is finally over, including addressing many of the positions on this list. However, some teams have already taken steps to fix their more glaring weak spots from the 2021 season (as determined by bWAR). Let’s take a look at the progress that has been made, with the note that we’ll ignore the DH position for this look at National League teams…
    Braves (Catcher, -1.3 bWAR): With Travis d’Arnaud on the injured list for much of the season, Atlanta turned to a grab bag of catchers to tread water before d’Arnaud returned in August and solidified the position through the Braves’ run to the World Series. Since d’Arnaud is always an injury risk, the Braves signed Manny Pina to a two-year deal, adding a veteran complement rather than rely on a larger role for youngsters William Contreras or Shea Langeliers.
    Brewers (First base -0.5 bWAR): Though Milwaukee didn’t get much from first base as a whole all year, Rowdy Tellez did hit pretty well after being acquired in a midseason trade from the Blue Jays. On paper, Tellez will be the Brew Crew’s first choice at the position, with the newly-acquired Mike Brosseau and former top prospect Keston Hiura acting as right-handed hitting complements. There’s some flexibility here for the Brewers to adjust if, say, Hiura can escape his two-year-long slump, or if the team decides to make another in-season trade for a bigger bat.
    Cardinals (Relief pitching, 1.0 bWAR): It is a testament to the Cards’ general depth that their “worst” position was a comparatively solid 1.0 bWAR, as while their hitting was generally middle-of-the-pack, even their weakest bats still contributed with excellent defense. That leaves the bullpen as the relative weak link, and St. Louis has thus far re-signed veteran lefty T.J. McFarland and brought in Kyle Ryan on a minor league deal, while another veteran in Luis Garcia left to join the Padres. It’s probably more likely that the Cardinals still stick to somewhat lower-level transactions to augment their pen, as the team has some young starters on the farm that could be deployed in relief roles, if they aren’t needed for the rotation. Giovanny Gallegos pitched well in the closer’s role, though St. Louis get some added depth via a veteran with ninth-inning experience.
    Cubs (Starting pitching, -1.2 bWAR): After unloading most of their veterans at the trade deadline, the Cubs indicated they weren’t willing to head into rebuild mode just yet, as they signed Marcus Stroman to a three-year, $71MM deal and claimed Wade Miley off waivers from the salary-dumping Reds. Neither represents a major long-term commit (Stroman can opt out after the 2023 season and Miley is under contract only through 2022), yet Wrigleyville’s rotation already looks much better on paper. Kyle Hendricks has another spot claimed, and the Cubs could use any of Adbert Alzolay, Alec Mills, Justin Steele, or top prospect Brailyn Marquez for the final two spots. Alternatively, Chicago could acquire a fairly inexpensive veteran arm to either be penciled into the fourth rotation spot, or to provide further competition for those younger pitchers.
    Diamondbacks (Relief pitching, -3-3 bWAR): There weren’t many areas of strength for the 110-loss D’Backs, yet the bullpen was easily the team’s biggest issue. Even though the Diamondbacks face an uphill battle in contending next year, the relief corps was dire enough that Arizona felt the need for a notable bullpen signing, adding Mark Melancon for two years and $14MM. Melancon might end up being the Diamondbacks’ biggest investment in the pen, as the club has also added Keynan Middleton, Edwin Uceta, Zack Burdi, and Kyle Nelson on minor league deals and waiver claims, and could pursue a similar low-cost path with other relief additions.
    Dodgers (Center field, 0.8 bWAR): Cody Bellinger’s brutal 2021 season makes him a big question mark heading into 2022. The Dodgers aren’t ready to give up on the former NL MVP, yet it’s probably safe to assume their decision to re-sign super-utilityman Chris Taylor was at least partially inspired by the need to have a backup plan in place should Bellinger again struggle at the plate. Since L.A. probably doesn’t want to use Mookie Betts or AJ Pollock in center more than they have to, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the Dodgers target another center field-capable utility type or maybe just a pure outfielder in their post-lockout moves.
    Giants (Second base, 1.6 bWAR): This is the best bWAR of any team’s “worst” position, which isn’t surprising given how the Giants expertly juggled their roster en route to 107 victories. Tommy La Stella spending a big chunk of the year on the IL contributed to the relative lack of second base production, and a healthy La Stella in a platoon with Thairo Estrada and Wilmer Flores be the in-house answer to improving the keystone. As always, however, the Giants figure to explore their options for multi-positional names both small and large, and San Francisco has the payroll space to make a bigger infield addition if they chose that path.
    Marlins (Catcher, -1.5 bWAR): With the combination of Jorge Alfaro, Sandy Leon, Alex Jackson, and Chad Wallach providing little help behind the plate, the Marlins went for the big swing and acquired Jacob Stallings from the Pirates. Miami had to give up a package of three prospects to seal the deal, but giving up two controllable minor league arms was an acceptable price for a team with the Marlins’ pitching depth. The plan now is for Stallings’ strong defense and game-calling abilities to help aid Miami’s arms at the big league level.
    Mets (Catcher, 0 bWAR): After signing James McCann to a four-year, $40.6MM deal last winter, the Mets expected a lot more than a .232/.294/.349 slash line over 412 plate appearances. With backup Tomas Nido not hitting much, New York will just have to hope that McCann needed some time to adjust to a new league, and that the backstop can return to his old All-Star form.
    Nationals (Relief pitching, -4.6 bWAR): No team in any positional category had a lower number than the Washington bullpen’s -4.6 bWAR, and the Nats only subtracted from their relief corps in moving Daniel Hudson and Brad Hand as part of their deadline selloff. The Nationals have added some lower-level arms as depth, and this could wind up as their tactic later in the winter, as it isn’t yet clear if D.C. will use 2022 as a reset year or if they’ll make a larger push to contend.
    Padres (Catcher, 0.4 bWAR): With the Marlins ready to move on from Alfaro, A.J. Preller picked up yet another player with former Rangers ties when San Diego acquired Alfaro from Miami just prior to the lockout. The Padres’ problems at catcher were largely due to an injury-riddled year from prospective starter Austin Nola, so assuming Nola is healthy and productive, the Padres might have something of a surplus at the position (between backup Victor Caratini and top prospect Luis Campusano) if Alfaro can get on track whatsoever. Campusano’s name was floated in some trade talks with the Cubs and Nationals back at the deadline, and he has been speculatively mentioned as a trade chip again this winter.
    Phillies (Third base, -0.9 bWAR): Between the hot corner, the shortstop position (-0.5 bWAR), center field and left field (1.3 bWAR each), the Phillies have a lot of holes to fill prior to Opening Day. In theory, third base could be the easiest to address if the club decides to just stay the course with Alec Bohm, who followed up a great rookie season with a mediocre 2021 campaign. Bohm would hardly be the first player to rebound from a sophomore slump, but since shortstop is also a need, the Phillies might look to acquire a multi-positional infield type who could conceivably step in at either short or third base.
    Pirates (Right field, -1.5 bWAR): Since the Bucs are still rebuilding, it isn’t clear if they’ll add any significant veteran upgrades at right field or any other position for 2022. If not, waiver pickup Greg Allen has joined Ben Gamel, Anthony Alford, and 2018 first-rounder Travis Swaggerty in the mix for playing time in the corner outfield positions.
    Reds (Third base, -1.4 bWAR): The experiment of Eugenio Suarez as the Reds’ starting shortstop came to a quick end, yet Suarez struggled at the plate basically all season long, and Mike Moustakas (who began the year at third base) also struggled at the plate and battled injuries. There are some real warning signs about Suarez’s lack of offensive production over the last two years, and with Cincinnati perhaps looking more towards payroll cuts than roster upgrades this winter, there’s no easy fix other than hoping Suarez and/or Moustakas can get back on track.
    Rockies (Center field, 0.9 bWAR): The outfield is a need in general for Colorado, and finding a center fielder represents a particular challenge since spacious Coors Field almost demands a good defender up the middle. None of their 2021 center field options in Garrett Hampson, Yonathan Daza, or Sam Hilliard exactly fit the bill, as Hampson may be the best fielder of the bunch but might end up in the infield rather than on the grass. The Rockies reportedly had interest in Kris Bryant before the lockout, and a major signing like that would certainly fill the need for a big bat in the lineup, even if Bryant could or would be deployed at several positions rather than be used at a full-time center fielder.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Awesome, gotta love these heroes. Nice Star Trib find Nasher.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

I wonder why, Gary's in.
    Scroll down to class of 2007.
    That's a very impressive list of baseball people in the Twins Hall btw

https://twinstrivia.com/twins-hall-of-fame/
    Yeah that's a pretty good list of players in that HOF for the Twinkies. They had some great teams managed by the great Tom Kelly. Alot of their players were easy to root for too even if you weren't a Twins fan.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 422

Like to see Bryant go to the Rockies to revive his career

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    Yeah that's a pretty good list of players in that HOF for the Twinkies. They had some great teams managed by the great Tom Kelly. Alot of their players were easy to root for too even if you weren't a Twins fan.
    The Twins have always drafted and developed position players very well.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    Yeah man.
    They were always and still are very easy to root for Twins.
    I missed Killebrew, just before my time, my dad told me stories of Killebrew's titanic homers.
    Like I said, when I was in Little League, guys like Tovar, and Carew caught my eye and I and always made sure to watch them whenever possible, my love for the KC Royals came a little bit after, but the Twins were so likeable.

Then in Jr. HS I was loving Hrbek, and Gaeitti and Brunansky...
    Ever see a bomb launched by Bruno? Talk about rain makers.
    Although Mussina is my all-time favorite pitcher, Frank Viloa ranks very high on my list.
    Viola was filthy dirty.

Do I even need to mention that Kirby fella?

Here's a name almost all forget but I loved to watch hit too.
    Dan Ford.
    Disco Dan baby.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Like to see Bryant go to the Rockies to revive his career
    His batting average will go up playing at Coors

stevenash