Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 362

Those two homers by the Astros.... Are they tipping pitches again

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 463

The Brewers were bumped from the postseason earlier this week, losing their Division Series against the Braves. Milwaukee president of baseball operations David Stearns met with the media (including Will Sammon of the Athletic and Adam McCalvy of MLB.com) this afternoon to review the 2021 campaign and discuss the club’s upcoming offseason.
    Keston Hiura will undergo a minor surgery on his right elbow, Stearns said, although there’s no indication the issue could affect his readiness for Spring Training. Milwaukee’s Opening Day first baseman, Hiura struggled all season. He got off to a horrible start, striking out in 32 of his first 89 plate appearances en route to a .152/.247/.266 line through early May. The Brewers optioned Hiura to Triple-A Nashville at that point. Hiura hit well in the minors, but he still couldn’t find much success against big league pitching. In 108 MLB plate appearances from the time of his first demotion on, he continued to slump to a .181/.264/.330 mark.
    At this point, the Brew Crew can’t enter 2022 counting on Hiura to assume an everyday role. Still, he’s a former top ten pick who’s not all that far removed from a huge .303/.368/.570 showing as a rookie in 2019. Milwaukee surely doesn’t want to give up on Hiura entirely, and Stearns floated the idea of getting him some work in the outfield next season. Hiura has only played first and second base as a pro (aside from one 3 1/3 inning stint in left field this year), but it’d be a bit easier for manager Craig Counsell to work him into the lineup if the 25-year-old proves capable of covering the grass on a regular basis.
    Christian Yelich won’t have any issue getting everyday reps, but he’ll also be looking to recapture his 2019 level of performance. The former MVP’s numbers have hovered right around league average (.234/.360/.392) over the past couple seasons. It’s an alarming drop-off, surely not what Stearns and the front office had in mind when they inked Yelich to an extension over the 2019-20 offseason that paid him $188.5MM in new money.
    Between Yelich’s prior accolades and the organization’s enormous financial commitment to him, it’s no surprise that Stearns says getting the 29-year-old back on track is a key focus this winter. Yelich’s strikeout, walk and hard contact rates are still all solid or better, but his power output has disappeared as his ground-ball percentage has spiked from 43.2% in 2019 to 54.8% this past season. Stearns candidly admitted the organization hasn’t yet diagnosed a root cause of Yelich’s downturn in performance, but he expressed optimism in the potential for a turnaround and noted that Yelich wasn’t being hampered by any health problems.
    Stearns’ own status with the franchise has been something of a talking point in recent weeks. The Mets are reportedly interested in speaking with the Manhattan native as part of their search for a new president of baseball operations. Stearns landing in Flushing has never seemed especially likely, though, primarily because he’s under contract with the Brewers through the end of next season. Thus, Milwaukee owner Mark Attanasio would need to grant the Mets permission to interview Stearns. Attanasio hasn’t definitely said whether he’d do so, although he rather coyly responded to the rumors last month (via Sports Illustrated) when he opined that Stearns is “a great executive. … He’s also under contract with us.”
    For his part, Stearns mostly deflected attention away from his future, although he didn’t sound like someone anxious to leave Milwaukee. “I think I’ll shy away from any media or external speculation other than to say I’m happy here; my family is happy here. And we’ve got work to do here,” Stearns told reporters today when asked about the chances he makes the jump to the Big Apple.

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16678

So we are possibly looking at a Dodgers/Astros world series??

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    So we are possibly looking at a Dodgers/Astros world series??
    Do you know what I dislike even more than the Dodgers?
    Jose Altuve.

Eovaldi throws 100 mph +
    108 rawhide stiches in his ear would be a nice compliment to his earring.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Those two homers by the Astros.... Are they tipping pitches again
    Bring out the trash can lids.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Astros only got one hit so far today?????

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Two big swings for 8 Sox runs.

Otters27

Seems like Red Sox might get this. I feel like Astros will tighten up

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16000

Big win for the Red Sox and Braves today. They both needed to win today and they came through. I think that if the Braves didn't win today there was a good chance that they'd get swept. Now I think they have a shot at shocking the world and taking this series from the Dodgers.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

No Muncy, Bauer, or Kershaw, and Turner is terrible. Maybe Braves have a chance???

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Two big swings for 8 Sox runs.
    Bring out the Apple Watches.

EmpireMaker

5:06PM: Garcia left the game due to discomfort in his right knee, the Astros announced.
    4:34PM: Astros starter Luis Garcia made an early exit from Game 2 of the ALCS, leaving with a possible injury in the second inning. After issuing a four-pitch walk to Kevin Plawecki to begin the frame, Garcia was visited on the mound by the team trainer, and ended up departing after consultation with manager Dusty Baker and pitching coach Brent Strom.
    It has already been a nightmarish day for Garcia, who allowed four runs in the first inning thanks to a J.D. Martinez grand slam. Only 14 of Garcia’s 33 pitches were strikes, continuing the control problems that plagued his first postseason start — Garcia allowed three walks and five hits in 2 2/3 innings in Game 3 of the ALDS, a 12-6 Astros loss to the White Sox.
    The 24-year-old Garcia entered the playoffs on the heels of a quality rookie season that will surely net him some AL Rookie Of The Year consideration. The right-hander posted a 3.30 ERA/3.91 SIERA and above-average strikeout (26.4%) and walk (7.9%) rates over 155 1/3 innings for Houston this season, starting 28 of his 30 games.
    That solid form hasn’t continued into October, however, and now Garcia could be in danger of missing the World Series. If Garcia’s injury requires him to be substituted off Houston’s roster, Garcia would be ineligible to pitch for the next postseason round, should the Astros advance past the Red Sox.
    The other major concern for the Astros is that if Garcia is seriously hurt, the team is running short on pitching. Lance McCullers Jr. (flexor pronator muscle strain) is already an omission from the ALCS roster and might not even be an option for the World Series if the Astros make it. Game 1 starter Framber Valdez lasted only 2 2/3 innings, requiring a big effort from Houston’s bullpen to salvage the victory. Jake Odorizzi took over for Garcia in relief, so the veteran’s availability for future games might be in question depending on how long he pitches today.
    Jose Urquidy is scheduled to start Game 3 at Fenway Park, and Odorizzi’s usage today likely means that either Cristian Javier or Zack Greinke (who has been used as a reliever this postseason) will be starting Game 4. With the red-hot Boston lineup hitting everything in sight, the Astros pitching staff faces a tall order for the remainder of the ALCS.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47650

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    No Muncy, Bauer, or Kershaw, and Turner is terrible. Maybe Braves have a chance???
    Might bet on Dodgers series now and hope I lose

stevenash

Mobile's on suicide watch.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Might bet on Dodgers series now and hope I lose
    If you bet LA and they lose I'll cover your losses personally.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Mobile's on suicide watch.
    Lol. I still love you guys.

Who you guys rooting for in the AL?

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    Lol. I still love you guys.

Who you guys rooting for in the AL?
    I know everyone hates the Astros because they cheated and this or that but I like them because of Dusty Baker. I always liked him even though I think he's not great as a manager so I wouldn't mind seeing him win it all. Of course if the Red Sox win I won't complain because I like their team.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Braves getting very fortunate. Terrible baserunning rewarded tonight.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

The Braves midseason acquistions showing up large tonight. Joc Jams was an underrated pickup and of course you have Rosario who came through late in the game like he has done so many times when he was in the AL. It will be interesting to see how this series turns out now that the Braves got the first two games.
    Last edited by jrgum3; 10-18-21 at 01:07 AM.

EmpireMaker

Beginning in the 2022 season, Major League Baseball will require all 30 teams to provide housing for all minor league players, ESPN.com’s Jeff Passan reports. The owners agreed to the decision via unanimous vote last month, though details of the plan are still being worked out, such as whether the teams will have to directly provide the housing, or if players’ stipends will be increased with more money to be specifically directed towards renting or other accommodations.
    Today’s news is both welcome and overdue, considering that the conditions faced by most minor league players has been a subject of controversy in recent years, especially since those conditions worsened due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Several reporters (including ESPN’s Joon Lee, Baseball America’s J.J. Cooper, and The Athletic’s Sam Blum) and several past and present minor leaguers have illustrated the meager salaries paid to most players in the minors, which has subsequently forced many of those players into less-than-ideal living situations. This has a snowball effect on a player’s diet, sleep, ability to properly train, and their mental health in general, leaving it difficult for many prospects to even live their lives normally, let alone focus on developing their baseball skills.
    Some teams have already taken steps to improve the environments of their minor league players, whether it through increased stipends for food or lodging, improved minor league facilities, or (as the Astros implemented for their prospects this year) fully furnished housing arranged and paid for by the club. The league-wide mandate, however, will put standards in place for all 30 teams to follow.

Otters27

The Sox Astros set to be a classic

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    The Sox Astros set to be a classic
    All set.
    30 minutes, got my popcorn ready and everything.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    I know everyone hates the Astros because they cheated and this or that but I like them because of Dusty Baker. I always liked him even though I think he's not great as a manager so I wouldn't mind seeing him win it all. Of course if the Red Sox win I won't complain because I like their team.
    Most of my friends are Yankees fans so they don't want Boston. I'm rooting for the Astros so that the haters can hate again about the cheating scandal

Stallion
    Update your status

Dodgers down 2-0, I didnt see that coming.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Keep the trash cans outta the World Series!!!

EmpireMaker

Here are the rotation options slated to hit the open market in the coming weeks:
    A Tier Unto Himself

• Max Scherzer (37 years old in 2022): The most dominant pitcher of the current generation, Scherzer could potentially win a fourth Cy Young Award after tossing 179 1/3 innings of 2.46 ERA ball with a huge 34.1% strikeout rate against just a 5.2% walk rate — the third-lowest mark of his storied career. Scherzer is as dominant as he’s ever been, and the only thing that will cap his market this offseason is his age. Justin Verlander signed a two-year, $66MM extension with the Astros for these same age-37 and age-38 seasons, and Scherzer can justifiably look to eclipse that mark in both years and average annual value. He, somewhat incredibly, has a shot at a second nine-figure deal in free agency this winter. He’s ineligible to receive a qualifying offer (both due to being traded midseason and having previously rejected one in his career).

Other Top of the Market Options

• Robbie Ray (30): Back on Aug. 13, I took a look at how the Jays had struck gold on their decision to jump the market and re-sign Ray right out of the gate in free agency. In the 10 starts he made after the time I published that piece, Ray pitched 63 innings of 2.71 ERA ball with a 36% strikeout rate, solidifying himself as the AL Cy Young favorite. Ray’s success is largely driven by heretofore unseen levels of command; after walking 12.9 percent of his opponents from 2017-20, Ray walked just 6.9 percent of the batters he faced in 2021. His 32.1% strikeout rate is the second-best of his career. His AL-best 193 1/3 innings were a career-high. Some clubs will be skeptical about his ability to maintain that vastly improved command, but Ray has positioned himself for a nine-figure contract of five or six years in length after he rejects a qualifying offer.
    • Kevin Gausman (31): Gausman’s decision to accept a qualifying offer last year looks quite shrewd. The right-hander might’ve been able to command a two- or three-year deal on the heels of his 2020 breakout, but he bet on himself with that one-year deal and improved across the board. Gausman’s 192 frames and 2.81 ERA were both sixth-best among qualified starters, while his 29.2% strikeout rate and 22.8 K-BB% both ranked eighth. Over his past 251 2/3 innings, Gausman carries a flat 3.00 ERA and 30.0% strikeout rate against a terrific 6.5% walk rate. The former No. 4 overall draft pick now looks like the ace Orioles fans might’ve hoped for when he debuted in 2013. He’s ineligible to receive another qualifying offer and will vie with Ray for the largest overall contract of any starter this offseason.
    • Marcus Stroman (30): Stroman doesn’t miss bats at the level of the other top arms on this list, but he’s one of the game’s premier ground-ball pitchers and has better command than most of the names on this list. He’s made 32 or 33 starts in four of the past six seasons, with the exceptions coming in 2020 (when he tore a calf muscle and opted out of the remainder of the season) and in 2018, when he was limited to 19 starts by shoulder fatigue. That’s the only arm injury Stroman has ever had, and the 3.48 ERA he’s compiled over his past four seasons ranks 23rd among 138 qualified starters since 2017. This year’s 3.02 ERA ranked ninth among qualified pitchers. Fielding-independent metrics have never been quite as bullish on Stroman because of his below-average strikeout rate, but his age, durability, premium command and huge ground-ball rates make him one of the market’s top starters. He can’t receive a second qualifying offer and could command a five-year deal himself this winter.
    • Carlos Rodon (29): On July 18, Rodon held the Astros to one hit with no walks and 10 strikeouts in seven shutout innings. He hasn’t topped five innings in a start since. Were it not for an ominous bout of shoulder fatigue that sent Rodon to the IL in August and ostensibly capped him at four to five innings per outing late in the year, he’d be right alongside Ray in AL Cy Young contention. The former No. 3 overall pick broke out with a 2.37 ERA and a 34.6% strikeout rate that trailed only Corbin Burnes (min. 100 innings pitched). Rodon was questionable for the ALDS but eventually pitched 2 2/3 innings in the ChiSox’ final effort against Houston. He was hitting the upper-90s with his heater, but that brief look may not be enough to allay concerns about his shoulder. Rodon could reject a qualifying offer and look to max out on a shorter multi-year deal. Alternatively, he could go the Gausman/Stroman route — accept a QO and hope a big 2022 showing positions him for a nine-figure deal next winter.

Former Cy Young Winners in their Mid/Late 30s

• Zack Greinke (38): Greinke still provides innings, but his average fastball was down to 89.0 mph in 2021 and he posted a second consecutive ERA north of 4.00. Greinke’s season-long numbers were torpedoed by a poor stretch of four starts to close out the year. His ERA sat at 3.41 as recently as Aug. 23 — albeit with a sub-par 17.5 percent strikeout rate. Still, Greinke is durable and possesses outstanding command. Teams will see him as a workhorse who can provide average or better innings while passing down plenty of knowledge to younger arms. He’s already turned down one qualifying offer, so he can’t receive a second.
    • Justin Verlander (39): It was surprising to hear Astros owner Jim Crane say Verlander would be seeking “a contract of some length” recently. The two-time Cy Young winner has thrown just six innings since the conclusion of the 2019 postseason due to 2020 Tommy John surgery. Houston will make a qualifying offer, and if Verlander is indeed intent on multiple years, he’ll reject. Verlander has said in the past that he hopes to pitch into his mid-40s, and his resume speaks for itself. A multi-year deal is risky, but how many arms come with this type of ceiling?
    • Corey Kluber (36): Kluber’s comeback looked to be in full swing when he no-hit the Rangers in May. However, he pitched three innings in his next start, went on the injured list for three months, and returned with a 5.40 ERA in his final 26 2/3 frames. Kluber still finished with a solid 3.83 ERA in 80 innings, but his 24 percent strikeout rate was roughly average and his 9.7 percent walk rate was high. That no-no and a dominant outing against the Tigers early in the year stand out, but his season lacked consistency.
    • Clayton Kershaw (34): He wasn’t quite peak Kershaw, but the second three-time Cy Young winner on this list rattled off 121 2/3 innings of 3.55 ERA ball with even more promising strikeout (29.5) and walk (4.3) percentages when healthy. Kershaw hit the IL with forearm inflammation in early July and missed two months before returning for four shaky starts down the stretch (15 1/3 innings, 4.70 ERA). He’s out for the postseason due to renewed forearm discomfort but won’t require surgery, instead receiving a platelet-rich plasma injection. There’s huge uncertainty here. If the Dodgers feel he’s healthy enough to make a qualifying offer, perhaps the simplest course would just be for Kershaw to accept.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    Most of my friends are Yankees fans so they don't want Boston. I'm rooting for the Astros so that the haters can hate again about the cheating scandal
    Yeah that will be the story especially if the Dodgers rally to face them in the World Series. Before the ALCS started I was thinking the Astros would beat the Red Sox but now I'm not so sure and the Sox are up 2-1. They seem to be getting hot at the right time and that could propel them to another championship which would be amazing since nobody was talking them up prior to the season starting.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14413

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    Yeah that will be the story especially if the Dodgers rally to face them in the World Series. Before the ALCS started I was thinking the Astros would beat the Red Sox but now I'm not so sure and the Sox are up 2-1. They seem to be getting hot at the right time and that could propel them to another championship which would be amazing since nobody was talking them up prior to the season starting.
    Boston/LAD east coast versus west coast good for business/ratings.

stevenash

Huston pitchers are 'tipping' their pitches

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47650

Let's hope Dodgers lose tonight and they are done

stevenash

From your lips to God ears.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

The baseball format makes it so that the Dodgers have a realistic chance to get back in this series since they get the next 3 at home. I hope the Braves can win at least 1 here and then close it out at home but it'll be tough.

stevenash

I'm concerned.
    Somebody put a BOLO on Mobile.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    I'm concerned.
    Somebody put a BOLO on Mobile.
    Somebody bring back umpire Doug Eddings

Stallion
    Update your status

The Jays need to re-sign Robbie Ray, if they don't they are screwed.

First ... 82838485868788 ... Last