yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

The Islanders traded defenseman Nick Leddy to the Detroit Red Wings for forward Richard Panik and a second-round pick -- No. 52 overall -- in the 2021 NHL Draft, New York announced Friday.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14501

Leddy will help Wings' power play; last year of his 7 year.

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33062

I hope the ducks take Dylan Guenther in the draft .

yisman

"Tarasenko has given the Blues a list of at least 10 clubs to which he can be traded, and we think we know a majority of those: the Rangers, Islanders, Golden Knights, Bruins and Flyers we reported previously, and you can add the Lightning, Capitals and Panthers to that list."

Checkerboard

Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard View Post
    Maroon already has [3 consecutive cups]. He was with Blues in 2019.
    Maroon slipped in the wetness/rain at parade and put a dent in the Cup. It was a quick fix; already repaired.

mr. leisure

I always liked Maroons game .

yisman

The Philadelphia Flyers have acquired 30-year-old defenseman Ryan Ellis from the Nashville Predators in exchange for 24-year-old defenseman Phil Myers and 22-year-old center Nolan Patrick. Ellis has six seasons remaining on his contract, at a $6.25 million average annual value.

mr. leisure

There are a lot of good players available for the Kraken to select in the expansion draft .

Checkerboard

Kraken should be a good team from the get go.

yisman

Luke Prokop has made NHL history.
    The Nashville Predators prospect, 19, came out on Monday, sharing publicly that he is gay — making him the first active player under NHL contract to do so.

Checkerboard

Seattle Sonics.

Better name for a hockey team.

mr. leisure

Kraken should be a good team from the get go.
    Just like the Golden Knights .

yisman

The Kraken will make their picks Wednesday, July 21 at 8 p.m. ET. A party will be held with about 4,000 fans in attendance at Gas Works Park in Seattle.
    How many players will the Kraken pick?

General manager Ron Francis and his staff will select one player from every NHL except Vegas. The Golden Knights are exempt from the expansion draft as part of their franchise agreement. There will be 30 players in total chosen, with the Kraken needing to pick at least 14 forwards, nine defensemen, and three goalies.
    Twenty of those 30 players must be under contract for the 2021-22 NHL season who have “an aggregate expansion draft value that is between 60%-100%” of the $81.5 million salary cap ceiling.

Checkerboard

Release the kraken!

Checkerboard

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    [FONT="]The Kraken will make their picks Wednesday, July 21 at 8 p.m. ET. A party will be held with about 4,000 fans in attendance at Gas Works Park in Seattle.[/FONT]
    How many players will the Kraken pick?

[FONT="]General manager Ron Francis and his staff will select one player from every NHL except Vegas. The Golden Knights are exempt from the expansion draft as part of their franchise agreement. There will be 30 players in total chosen, with the Kraken needing to pick at least 14 forwards, nine defensemen, and three goalies.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Twenty of those 30 players must be under contract for the 2021-22 NHL season who have “an aggregate expansion draft value that is between 60%-100%” of the $81.5 million salary cap ceiling.[/FONT]
    Will they have lots of draft beer?!

yisman

The Seattle Kraken revealed its inaugural roster during the 2021 NHL Expansion Draft Wednesday night.
    After a day of leaks, general manager Ron Francis and a bunch of Seattle special guests helped announce each of the Kraken’s 30 picks.

mr. leisure

Seems like they could have taken some better players .

Checkerboard

McCann to Kraken, Leaf for a day. Don't forget to cancel the jersey order.

mr. leisure

NHL 2021-22 schedule to be announced on ESPN

Slate to feature full 82 games; previous divisional alignment will return

by Tom Gulitti @TomGulittiNHL / NHL.com Staff Writer
    The 2021-22 NHL schedule will be revealed during the 6 p.m. ET edition of "SportsCenter" on ESPN on Thursday.

The NHL plans to play a full 82-game schedule beginning in October and ending in April followed by the Stanley Cup Playoffs ending in June.
    NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly on July 12 briefed general managers on the guidelines for next season and a variety of topics in a video conference called by senior executive vice president of hockey operations Colin Campbell.
    After temporarily realigning and playing a 56-game, intradivisional schedule this season because of COVID-19, the NHL is planning to return to its previous schedule format, with each team playing all the others at least twice, and its previous divisional alignment, with the Metropolitan Division and Atlantic Division in the Eastern Conference and the Central Division and Pacific Division in the Western Conference.
    As previously planned, the Arizona Coyotes will move to the Central Division to make room in the Pacific Division for the expansion Seattle Kraken, who begin play next season. Seattle will play its first regular-season game on Oct. 12 at the Vegas Golden Knights, and its first home game on Oct. 23 against the Vancouver Canucks.
    Fully vaccinated players will be able to travel without protocols and work out on and off the ice without limitations on the size of the group and without being tested for COVID-19, presuming vaccination rates in the United States and Canada continue to climb and the government of Canada loosens travel restrictions.
    The NHL and NHL Players' Association continue to discuss the procedures for unvaccinated players.
    The NHL was working on two versions of the schedule -- one that includes a break for the 2022 Beijing Olympics, and another that does not -- pending the resolution to ongoing discussions with the NHLPA and the International Olympic Committee.
    The NHL did not participate in the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics after its players competed in five consecutive Olympics from 1998-2014. Its position has been that participation in the Olympics disrupts the season, particularly when not held in North America.
    But last year, when the NHL and NHLPA extended the collective bargaining agreement through 2025-26, they agreed to go to the Olympics if they could reach an agreement with the International Olympic Committee.
    During a press conference before Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final on June 28, Commissioner Bettman and Daly said those negotiations were ongoing but the sides were running out of time to reach an agreement.
    "We negotiated in good faith with the Players' Association last summer," Daly said. "We agreed that if the conditions were right and we could reach agreement on all the material issues that we would commit and support going to the Olympics, and that remains our position. We've deferred to the Players' Association to try to work through those issues, and that continues, as I said, to be a work in progress."

Checkerboard

Colton, who scored the series winning goal, is first this summer to tour the Cup, now in New Jersey.

mr. leisure

Arizona Coyotes trade Oliver Ekman-Larsson to Vancouver Canucks as part of multiplayer, multipick swap

The Arizona Coyotes have traded captain Oliver Ekman-Larsson to the Vancouver Canucks in a multiplayer deal that's as notable for its salary cap implications as its on-ice impact.
    The Coyotes sent the 30-year-old defenseman and forward Conor Garland to Vancouver for winger Loui Eriksson, center Jay Beagle, winger Antoine Roussel, the Canucks' first-round pick (ninth overall) in Friday night's draft, as well as a 2022 second-round pick and a 2023 seventh-rounder, sources told ESPN.
    The Arizona Coyotes had to forfeit their own first-round pick, 11th overall, this season due to a violation of the NHL's combine testing policy.
    The trade was an exchange of some of the more problematic contracts on both teams.

• i

Ekman-Larsson is entering the third season of an eight-year, $66 million deal that carries an $8.25 million cap hit through 2026-27. It was signed by former general manager John Chayka, who was replaced by current GM Bill Armstrong.
    The Coyotes are retaining $990,000 annually on Ekman-Larsson's contract as part of the deal. The team tried to move Ekman-Larsson's contract last offseason, with the defenseman willing to waive his no-movement clause for either Vancouver or the Boston Bruins, but a trade never materialized to the Coyotes' satisfaction.
    In exchange, the Canucks sent the Coyotes three players in the last seasons of regrettable contracts: Eriksson ($6 million average annual value), who had a six-year contract; Beagle ($3 million AAV), who had a four-year deal; and Roussel ($3 million AAV), who also had a four-year deal. All three players had trade protection and were signed as free agents by current Vancouver GM Jim Benning.
    Ekman-Larsson has played all 11 NHL seasons with the Coyotes, who selected him sixth overall in the 2009 NHL draft. He has 388 points in 769 games, but has just 54 points in 112 games over the last two seasons.
    Garland, 25, is a restricted free agent with arbitration rights, joining a parade of players with that contract status that have been traded this offseason. He has 96 points in 164 career games, all with Arizona. Last season he had 12 goals and 27 assists in 49 games.
    The move continues an offseason in which the Coyotes have collected draft picks while taking on other team's problem contracts. Along with these three players, they acquired Islanders forward Andrew Ladd and Flyers defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere. In total, the Coyotes added $22.6 million in salary and seven draft choices for the effort.

yisman

Shayne Gostisbehere will get a fresh start in Arizona after the Coyotes and Flyers completed a trade on Thursday.
    The 28-year-old Gostisbehere heads to the Coyotes, along with second- and seventh-round picks in 2022. Yes, the Flyers are getting only salary cap relief from this deal.

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19139

Blues traded Sammy Blais and 2nd round pick to Rangers for Pavel Buchnevich. Who got the better end of the deal?

mr. leisure

Sabres taking calls for Eichel, won't make trade unless value is there

Injured center reportedly skating again, 'hopefully he continues to progress,' GM says

Jack Eichel was not among the players traded by the Buffalo Sabres on Friday, but the center remains the subject of rumors and the team is receiving calls about him.

"There has been a lot of conversations on a lot of different things on our team, and certainly a player of that level there's going to be phone calls," Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams said. "I said from Day One that we have to look at every possible scenario and be willing to see, 'Does this make sense for us and why?' and ask those hard questions. We'll continue to do that. We're having a lot of conversations."
    Adams said he has had regular communication with Eichel's agent and was happy to hear that the Sabres captain was skating again. He said he did not know where because Eichel is not spending the offseason in Buffalo.
    Eichel missed the last 33 games of this season with a neck injury. He scored 18 points (two goals, 16 assists) in 21 games.
    "Whether there are reports of him skating or not, he hasn't been in Buffalo, but hopefully he continues to progress," Adams said. "By all accounts from Peter Fish, his agent, he's doing well, so we'll see where it goes from here."
    Adams wouldn't comment on what the Sabres are looking for in a potential trade.
    "Right now, I think we are going to continue to look at every possible way to get our organization going in the right direction," he said. "Whether I get asked questions specifically about Jack or on someone else, I'll give you the same answer, we're going to be open to everything, but we need to step forward, and if we're going to do something with a player it has to have value to our organization moving forward. If in our minds we perceive the value isn't there with any player, we wouldn't do that, so that's how we're approaching it."
    The Sabres felt the value was there to trade defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen to the Philadelphia Flyers prior to the first round of the 2021 NHL Draft on Friday. Buffalo received the No. 14 pick, which it used to select forward Isak Rosen, and NHL defenseman Robert Hagg.
    Ristolainen was Buffalo's first-round pick (No. 8) in the 2013 NHL Draft and played 542 games with the Sabres, scoring 245 points (46 goals, 199 assists).
    "I really like him as a person, as a player, but what we had to do is what I just said, we have to look at every possible scenario and how does that affect us in the short term and in the longer term look of things," Adams said. "We felt although Rasmus has been a very good Buffalo Sabre and done a lot of good things in this organization, the value that we got warranted us making that decision."
    The Sabres are also reportedly trading center Sam Reinhart to the Florida Panthers, but Adams could not comment on that potential transaction because it was not official at the time he was addressing the media.
    Buffalo selected Reinhart with the No. 2 pick in the 2014 NHL Draft. He scored 295 points (134 goals, 161 assists) in 454 games, including a Sabres-high 25 goals and 40 points in 54 games this season.
    "It's an exciting weekend because I feel we have an amazing opportunity as an organization to take a step forward and add quality players to our organization, and quality people," Adams said.
    One of them is defenseman Owen Power, selected by the Sabres with the No. 1 pick Friday.
    "I didn't know until they called my name," he said. "I was kind of hoping. They got a lot of young prospects and I think a promising future, so I'm excited for what's to come."
    Power said he hasn't talked to the Sabres about his immediate future, if he will turn pro or return to the University of Michigan for his sophomore season.
    "I think I can step in and play [in the NHL]," Power said. "I don't think the decision will be whether or not I'm ready to play, it's what is better for my development at the end of the day. I don't think there's a bad option, and it's something we have to figure out."
    Adams said, "I know we're talking about the No. 1 overall pick and a player that is clearly capable of stepping right into the NHL, but you have to look at the long game even with a player at this level and say, 'What is best for him, how does he continue to get better?' … It's too early, but we're going to sit down and have those discussions."
    Those discussions will likely come after a resolution on Eichel's future, be it in Buffalo or elsewhere.
    "If we're in a position where we feel that there's value and we feel it's going to help our franchise, than we'll make certain decisions," Adams said. "It's the same for the way we look at all players, it's just different conversations, but that's how we're viewing it."

• Facebook Share

Checkerboard

Sabres made Eichel Captain when he was 21, If he does get traded, they might make their new number one pick Owen their new captain.

yisman

Quote Originally Posted by BarkingToad View Post
    Blues traded Sammy Blais and 2nd round pick to Rangers for Pavel Buchnevich. Who got the better end of the deal?
    I like the Blues' side there.

Checkerboard

Goodrow, and now Blais. Rangers are toughening up.

mr. leisure

Hyman won't be returning to Maple Leafs, GM says

Forward can become an unrestricted free agent July 28

by Mike Zeisberger @Zeisberger / NHL.com Staff Writer

Zach Hyman will not be back with the Toronto Maple Leafs next season, general manager Kyle Dubas said Saturday.

Dubas said he had an idea by Thursday that the forward would be leaving as an unrestricted free agent despite efforts to re-sign him.
    "So at that point I think it was fairly clear to us internally, based on the discussions and where they had been or even the feeling on it, that he was going to be on the move," Dubas said. "You know, we had done what we could to try to make it work, and unfortunately we couldn't.
    "Everyone knows how we feel about Zach here, and even though it won't be here, we are happy for him."
    Dubas' comments came a day after Hyman's agent, Todd Reynolds, told the Toronto Sun, "Zach will be signing elsewhere. He won't be returning to Toronto."
    The report said Hyman, who visited the Edmonton Oilers this week, has a deal in place with the Oilers worth $5.1 million to $5.5 million per season, which he can sign July 28.
    "I've only heard that Todd made comments," Dubas said. "I actually haven't read the exact comments that were made. But if he announced that Zach was moving on, then that's what we expect."
    Hyman scored 33 points (18 goals, 15 assists) this season.
    If the Maple Leafs agree to a trade for Hyman before July 28, he would be allowed to sign a maximum eight-year contract before being traded. If not, and he becomes a free agent, he can sign a contract up to seven years with any other NHL team.
    "I know that there's a narrative that we should just get something [for Hyman in a trade], but you're saving a team significant dollars on the [NHL] salary cap (with the eighth year)," Dubas said. "That comes with a cost, and we're not going to bend on that."
    Selected by the Florida Panthers in the third round (No. 123) of the 2010 NHL Draft, Hyman did not sign with them and was traded to Toronto on June 19, 2015. He has scored 185 points (86 goals, 99 assists) in 345 regular-season games and 13 points (five goals, eight assists) in 32 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

mr. leisure

Voracek traded to Blue Jackets by Flyers for Atkinson

Philadelphia co-leader in scoring returns to Columbus in swap of forwards

NHL.com @NHLdotcom

Jakub Voracek was traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets by the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday for Cam Atkinson.

"I'm pretty active on social media in terms of reading stuff," Voracek said, "so I kind of knew [a trade] was going to happen, just [wasn't] sure where or when, so I kind of stayed put, and my girlfriend was telling me to just put the phone down, it's gonna happen at the least expected times. I was fishing with my family and didn't have my phone on me and I had about 10 missed calls from [Philadelphia general manager] Chuck Fletcher and he told me I got traded to Columbus, so she was right."
    The 31-year-old forward tied James van Riemsdyk and Claude Giroux for the Flyers lead with 43 points (nine goals, 34 assists) in 53 games this season. He played 10 seasons for Philadelphia after being traded by Columbus on June 23, 2011.
    "I talked to him today," Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said of Voracek. "He's very, very excited to come back to Columbus. He loved it here. He still has friends here. He wants to show everybody that he's got a lot left in his tank and we're excited to have him."
    Kekalainen said he has had his eye on Voracek since he was assistant general manager with the St. Louis Blues, .
    "I've really liked the player ever since the draft was here (Columbus) in 2007," Kekalainen said. "I think we had the ninth pick overall with St. Louis and we were trying to move up to get Jake Voracek. We couldn't because Columbus picked him and I told Jake that. 'I've tried to get you since 2007; 14 years later, we got you.'
    "He's a good player. He's had a great career and he's got a lot of points in this league and he's hungry to play many more years."
    The Blue Jackets selected Voracek with the No. 7 pick in the 2007 NHL Draft. He has scored 738 points (216 goals, 522 assists) in 968 games for Columbus and Philadelphia, and 28 points (nine goals, 19 assists) in 49 Stanley Cup Playoff games.
    "I'm completely different player. I would say I'm a different human being, I'm a father right now," Voracek said of returning to Columbus. "Obviously a lot of changes, especially in the game of hockey in the last 10 years. ... I'm really excited about they're putting me in a spot that I can have even more success than I had in Philadelphia."
    Atkinson scored 34 points (15 goals, 19 assists) in 56 games for the Blue Jackets this season. Selected by Columbus in the sixth round (No. 157) of the 2008 NHL Draft, the 32-year-old forward is second in its history in goals (213), points (402) and games played (627), behind Rick Nash in each category (289 goals, 547 points, 674 games).
    "Obviously mixed emotions right now," Atkinson said. "It's my kid's third birthday (son Declan), so [I'm] celebrating that way, and obviously have another reason to celebrate as well. I've been here a long time, obviously that's not a secret. I love Columbus, but I couldn't be more excited to join the Flyers organization. I personally think I'm going to fit in very well, I know a couple guys on the team already and special teams I think I'll help out as well, especially with [the penalty kill], and I think I fit the mold pretty well. And like I said, I'm super excited."
    The Flyers acquired defenseman Ryan Ellis in a trade with the Nashville Predators for defenseman Philippe Myers and forward Nolan Patrick on July 17, and defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen in a trade with the Buffalo Sabres for their first-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft (No. 14), a second-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft and defenseman Robert Hagg on Friday.
    "You can see with Chuck Fletcher and the rest of management, what they're trying to do and bringing in certain guys," Atkinson said. "Ellis coming in and Ristolainen and other players; there's been a lot of guys on that team that have been around for some time, and sometimes a change is best for an organization.
    "I think my energy alone is really going to help the team. I played at [Boston College] with (center) Kevin Hayes and [am] good friends with 'JVR' (van Riemsdyk) and I know Giroux as well. One of my best friends is Scott Hartnell, and he just rants and raves about what a special place Philly is, and as you can see I already got my Gritty shirt, so I'm ready to rock and roll."
    Fletcher was asked what he likes about Atkinson.
    "Honestly, almost everything," Fletcher told NHL Network. "He's just a hockey player. He's a guy with high energy, a high motor. For a smaller player (5-foot-8, 176 pounds) he scores his goals on the inside, he gets to the net, he pays the price. He's an elite penalty-killer. Just brings energy, commitment, team orientation. Had a great conversation with him on the phone and I was pretty pumped up after it. If he brings that energy every day, then we're going to be a much better hockey team."
    The Flyers also traded defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere and two picks in the 2022 NHL Draft to the Arizona Coyotes for future considerations on Thursday.
    "We certainly traded and moved out some excellent players and players like Jake Voracek that have been instrumental parts of our core for so long," Fletcher said, "but frankly, we needed change, it's time and we think we brought in some players that bring a lot of energy, bring some skill and will certainly change the dynamic of our team going forward."
    Columbus made three selections in the first round of the 2021 draft Friday and traded defenseman Seth Jones to the Chicago Blackhawks for defenseman Adam Boqvist and three draft picks.

Checkerboard

Losing Hyman could shake Leafs up a bit.

Checkerboard

Kings are a team to watch. They have cap space and are in a soft division.

Arvidsson snagged from Nashville. More additions likely.

mr. leisure

Kings are a team to watch. They have cap space and are in a soft division.

Arvidsson snagged from Nashville. More additions likely.
    Kings will be improved .��

Checkerboard

Chicago made another trade, nobody can say they aren't trying.

Seabrook's contract to Tampa for Tyler Johnson and a 2023 2nd rounder.

A cap move for Tampa. Should restore Johnson's minutes and top line status.

mr. leisure

Fluery to the Blackhawks ��

Checkerboard

Wow, Stars now have 4 goalies with Holtby signing.

Bishop may retire. They probably go with Khudobin/Holtby, Oettinger to AHL maybe, with on eye on whether Holtby can bring his Vancouver numbers back up.

First ... 21222324252627 Last