Fantasy baseball: Can anyone find value in the Mets?

ESPN PLUS ($ MATERIAL)

It is rarely a shock when the New York Mets have a strange day, but Sunday was a particularly odd one, as during their 4-0 loss to Atlanta they told the world they literally could not find outfielder Yoenis Cespedes. When they did, the club reported he had opted out of playing this season. This past week might have been the last time we'll see Cespedes in a big league uniform and if so, well, it was quite the ride -- rarely a boar. Sorry, bore. Enough already. Time to give Dominic Smith a legit chance for regular playing time as the designated hitter.

This being the Mets, of course, they could do just about anything and justify it, like the Rockies giving Matt Kemp playing time over any number of young players who deserve it. The Mets, who actually traded for Billy Hamilton on Sunday -- c'mon, how can they play him? -- had a rough weekend in Atlanta, somehow blowing a big lead in Friday's game by allowing five runs in the eighth inning, and then scoring just one run total over the final two games of the series (while inexplicably leaving 24 men on base in the process). Smith hardly starred, but with the DH likely to stick around in future seasons, there is a role here for their former first baseman. Let him play and watch him hit.

I think Smith, over a six-month season (like in 2021!), has a logical floor where he could hit around .275 with 25 home runs. That hardly makes him a top-50 fantasy option, but it certainly gives him intriguing value. The Mets had to play Cespedes, but now that he is fortuitously gone, they really have to play Smith. It looked odd forcing Smith into left-field duties last season and he handled things well enough, but he is not a first baseman. Entering last season, I was not even sure he could hit big league pitching. Now I am sure. There is power and run-producing ability there, and he holds his own versus left-handed pitching.

Fantasy managers made Mariners outfielder Kyle Lewis and Giants outfielder Mike Yastrzemski the most-added hitters in ESPN standard leagues over the past week -- and for good reason. It seems likely that Pirates third baseman Colin Moran, Blue Jays outfielder Teoscar Hernandez and Giants infielder Donovan Solano (the league leader in RBIs -- what a silly statistic in this case!) will join them soon. Nevertheless, I think Smith is the better addition. The key in fantasy is not to add players who had a good week but to project ahead for weeks or, in this case, two months. Smith should hit ... if they let him hit.

The other notable departure from the weekend was Brewers center fielder Lorenzo Cain, who has opted out of this irregular season in good standing with his organization. Cain looked fine at the plate and should return to top-40 outfield status in 2021. The Brewers also lost Ryan Braun to an IL stint so, assuming the Brewers get to play this week, look for Ben Gamel in center field and a likely platoon of Logan Morrison and Jedd Gyorko at designated hitter. Hey, don't laugh! Atlanta's Matt Adams matters in NL-only formats, and so could Morrison and Gyorko. Gamel is not much of a fantasy option, even with playing time, as he lacks power and speed and he hit just .248 last season. Time is running out to go get the big story surrounding the Brewers: Christian Yelich is 1-for-27. Watch him have a huge week.

Random thoughts

• It stinks that the Phillies just missed an entire week of baseball because of something that was a) out of their control and b) handled so poorly. Fantasy investors of the Phillies, Marlins, Nationals, Brewers and Cardinals might find themselves a lot lower in the standings -- hand raised! -- than they should be, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. I don't recommend altering league rules even during this irregular season to account for teams suddenly sitting out. Any team could be next.
  • Dodgers left-hander Clayton Kershaw made his 2020 debut a week or so late and looked fine in shutting down the Diamondbacks, allowing three singles and fanning six over 5⅔ frames. Kershaw, he of the career 2.44 ERA, should have another great season, but because the Dodgers possess so much depth and are simply planning for October -- toying with their opponents -- I doubt he makes even eight more starts. Their goal is to keep him healthy. Period. Mookie Betts left Sunday's game not healthy, nursing a swollen finger, but there are no major concerns here. The Dodgers can play Edwin Rios or Matt Beaty a few games and still dominate teams.

• Sixteen hitters, eight walks. I theorized in Friday's blog that this was a big weekend for Angels right-hander Shohei Ohtani on the mound. After his scoreless first inning on Sunday, he suddenly could not throw strikes. On his final pitches, the velocity dropped. Yep, one could see how he might be hurt, and MRI results should be made public today. I cannot believe I am writing this, but knowing that Ohtani is a once-per-week pitcher to start with, and still seeking his old command after Tommy John surgery in a truncated season, it is time to move on. Tyler Chatwood, Zach Plesac, Aaron Civale, Nate Pearson and yes, amazingly enough, Kyle Freeland are on the most-added list and have earned it. Chatwood looks terrific so far, so how can anyone wait for Ohtani? Freeland was very good in 2018. The skills are there. It is a short season, so one must react quickly.

• Let's close (as always) with discussion about the closers because among all the upheaval barely a week into the season, little makes sense with those entrusted to save games. I think Colorado is going with Jairo Diaz as closer now that Wade Davis is hurt and Scott Oberg is done. I think Baltimore feels good about Cole Sulser. I think Kansas City feels even better about Trevor Rosenthal. I think Houston turns to Ryan Pressly with Roberto Osuna hurt, but I would not cut Osuna yet. This is not the same thing as cutting Craig Kimbrel. Rowan Wick looks like Chicago's closer over Jeremy Jeffress, at least today. I would go with Ty Buttrey for the Angels saves with Hansel Robles struggling, but who knows how Joe Maddon handles it. I mean, just look at Texas. Not that Jonathan Hernandez or anyone else left standing is proven, but Edinson Volquez could be this season's Ian Kennedy. Yeah, him. Unbelievable.