batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10265

Quote Originally Posted by mr. leisure View Post
    Alright , lock and load !!!!!!
    Looking forward when they can put out a solid time line for a return to play!

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

BUFFALO, N.Y., (AP) -- Buffalo Sabres defenseman Lawrence Pilut is forgoing a chance to continue his NHL career by signing a two-year contract with Russia’s Chelyabinsk Traktor.
    The signing was announced by the Kontinental Hockey League team Tuesday, and comes after Pilut had difficulty establishing a regular role over the past two years in Buffalo. The Traktor said in a release that Pilut was offered an opportunity to enjoy more playing time in Russia.
    The Sabres can't block the signing, because their season officially ended two weeks ago when the NHL approved going ahead with a 24-team expanded playoff format, which eliminated Buffalo.

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33062

Masterton Trophy nominations announced

Lindblom, Bouwmeester, Ryan among those up for award for perseverance, sportsmanship, dedication

Oskar Lindblom of the Philadelphia Flyers, Jay Bouwmeester of the St. Louis Blues and Bobby Ryan of the Ottawa Senators were among those named as nominees for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy on Tuesday.

The trophy is awarded annually by the Professional Hockey Writers Association to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to ice hockey.
    A player from each team was nominated by the local PHWA chapter. The list will be narrowed to three finalists and the winner will be named at a later date.
    Lindblom was diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer, in December. The 23-year-old forward, who has not played since the diagnosis, scored 18 points (11 goals, seven assists) in 30 games this season.
    "This past season has been a difficult one for sure, but the positive support I've received from my family, my girlfriend, teammates, the Flyers organization and Flyers fans has been a tremendous help and inspiration through these times and I look forward to the day I'm back on the ice," Lindblom said. "I was very touched to see how many people, whether they support the Flyers or another team, were wearing #OskarStrong T-shirts. I continue to feel your support."
    Bouwmeester was nominated for the second consecutive season. The 36-year-old defenseman, who helped the Blues win the Stanley Cup for the first time last season, had a cardiac episode during a game against the Anaheim Ducks on Feb. 11 and underwent surgery to install an implantable cardioverter defibrillator that will restore his heart's normal rhythm in case of a similar future incident. Bouwmeester announced in late February that he would not return for the remainder of the 2019-20 regular-season or Stanley Cup Playoffs.
    Ryan, who took a leave of absence from the Senators in November to enter the NHL/NHL Players' Association player assistance program, citing admitted issues with alcohol abuse, scored a hat trick Feb. 27, in his first home game since returning.
    "It's a great thing, maybe a silver lining out of the year I went through and all that," the forward said. "But somebody mentioned it to me right away after that game [I returned], I think one of my teammates just said, 'You just threw your hat into the ring for the Masterton.' I said, 'I guess that would be cool,' but it was obviously the furthest thing from my mind and the reason I had to go get right. To be recognized for the work I put in and the months leading up to my comeback, it's a very small thing but it's a very fulfilling thing for me."
    Shea Weber of the Montreal Canadiens, was also named a nominee. The defenseman scored 36 points (15 goals, 21 assists) in 65 games this season after playing 58 games last season following off-season knee surgery and 26 games in 2017-18 because of a foot injury which required surgery.
    "I always set the bar high and have a high standard," Weber said. "I think that in order for me to try and get back to where I was, I had to believe that I could do it and I had beliefs all the time. It's mentally hard and it's draining at points, especially when you think you're kind of stuck in the mud or not really going anywhere as far as your recovery, but belief never ended."
    Oilers center Connor McDavid was nominated after sustaining multiple injuries to his left knee during the final game of the 2018-19 season. He was in the opening night lineup following a grueling rehabilitation and scored 97 points (34 goals, 63 assists) in 64 games, second in the League behind teammate Leon Draisaitl (110 points).
    Winnipeg Jets forward Mark Letestu was nominated after being diagnosed with myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle, in October. He played seven games before the diagnosis and had begun skating with the Jets before the season was paused March 12 due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus.
    "It's an honor, for sure," Letestu said. "I didn't expect to be nominated for any NHL awards. Perseverance, dedication, those words are pretty special to me."
    Calgary Flames defenseman Mark Giordano, who missed time with a hamstring injury this season, was nominated for the second straight season.
    "I looked at the list of the past winners yesterday and I'm really excited to be named for our team, nominated by the (PHWA). It's pretty special to me," he said. "I like what the award stands for and I'm a guy who really takes a lot of pride in my dedication to the game. So both on and off the ice I try to be as dedicated as possible and I don't take this award for granted. It's pretty cool that I've been nominated more than once by (the writers)."

Below is a list of the nominees for the 2019-20 season:
    Anaheim Ducks: Ryan Miller, G
    Arizona Coyotes: Conor Garland, F
    Boston Bruins: Kevan Miller, D
    Buffalo Sabres: Curtis Lazar, F
    Calgary Flames: Mark Giordano, D
    Carolina Hurricanes: James Reimer, G
    Chicago Blackhawks: Corey Crawford, G
    Colorado Avalanche: Ryan Graves, D
    Columbus Blue Jackets: Nathan Gerbe, F
    Dallas Stars: Stephen Johns, D
    Detroit Red Wings: Robby Fabbri, F
    Edmonton Oilers: Connor McDavid, F
    Florida Panthers: Noel Acciari, F
    Los Angeles Kings: Jonathan Quick, G
    Minnesota Wild: Alex Stalock, G
    Montreal Canadiens: Shea Weber, D
    Nashville Predators: Jarred Tinordi, D
    New Jersey Devils: Travis Zajac, F
    New York Islanders: Thomas Hickey, D
    New York Rangers: Henrik Lundqvist, G
    Ottawa Senators: Bobby Ryan, F
    Philadelphia Flyers: Oskar Lindblom, F
    Pittsburgh Penguins: Evgeni Malkin, F
    San Jose Sharks: Joe Thornton, F
    St. Louis Blues: Jay Bouwmeester, D
    Tampa Bay Lightning: Alex Killorn, F
    Toronto Maple Leafs: Zach Hyman, F
    Vancouver Canucks: Jacob Markstrom, G
    Vegas Golden Knights: Shea Theodore, D
    Washington Capitals: Michal Kempny, D
    Winnipeg Jets: Mark Letestu, F

yisman

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Jake Guentzel's roller-coaster season is about to take another unlikely turn: postseason participant.
    The Penguins All-Star forward has joined a handful of teammates on the ice as part of Phase 2 of the NHL's Return to Play program and figures to be ready when Pittsburgh faces Montreal in the opening round of the playoffs sometime this summer.
    Guentzel's breakout year appeared to be over when he took an awkward spill on Dec. 30 following his 20th goal of the season. He crashed into the end boards a split-second after collecting his 200th career point when he accidentally tripped over the stick of Senators defenseman Thomas Chabot.

mr. leisure

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Jake Guentzel's roller-coaster season is about to take another unlikely turn: postseason participant.
    The Penguins All-Star forward has joined a handful of teammates on the ice as part of Phase 2 of the NHL's Return to Play program and figures to be ready when Pittsburgh faces Montreal in the opening round of the playoffs sometime this summer.
    Guentzel's breakout year appeared to be over when he took an awkward spill on Dec. 30 following his 20th goal of the season. He crashed into the end boards a split-second after collecting his 200th career point when he accidentally tripped over the stick of Senators defenseman Thomas Chabot.
    Good news for pittsburgh , they are going to need him .

hotcross
    hotcross's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7208

Would anyone bet on Montreal in that first round matchup with Pittsburgh?

I'm curious to hear sentiment.

yisman

Formal training camps for the 24 teams resuming play will begin on July 10. The start date for formal resumption of play will be determined at a future date.

mr. leisure

Formal training camps for the 24 teams resuming play will begin on July 10. The start date for formal resumption of play will be determined at a future date.
    A little earlier start would have been nice .

yisman

The Boston Bruins say one of their players has tested positive for COVID-19.
    General manager Don Sweeney says the unidentified player had not been a part of informal workouts with his teammates.
    The Bruins say the player was tested as a requirement to enter the team's practice facility and came up positive. The player has not shown any COVID-19 symptoms.

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16678

I wonder what will happen if a few players test positive for Covid...

mr. leisure

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    I wonder what will happen if a few players test positive for Covid...
    Shut it down

yisman

An Arizona Coyotes staff member has tested positive for COVID-19 and is isolated at home in the Phoenix area.
    The staffer is asymptomatic and feeling well, the team said.
    All other staff members or players involved in phase 2 of the NHL's testing protocol have tested negative as teams prepare to start voluntary small-group workouts on Monday.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO

Hope the NHL keeps moving forward..

mr. leisure

NHL training camps for Stanley Cup Qualifiers to open July 10

Phase 3 of Return to Play Plan will occur if medical, safety conditions allow

Training camps for the 24 NHL teams resuming play will open July 10, the League and NHL Players' Association announced Thursday.

"Now everybody can plan what they have to do," Dallas Stars general manager Jim Nill told the Dallas Morning News. "Now the wheels are in motion."
    Phase 3 of the NHL Return to Play Plan will occur provided that medical and safety conditions allow, and the parties have reached an agreement on resuming play. The length of training camp and the start date for resumption of play (Phase 4) will be determined.
    "Obviously that's good news for us, having the date of July 10," Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Morgan Rielly said. "It's kind of what we've been waiting for. And I think if you ask most players, the hardest part of it all was the uncertainty. ... Now it's just a matter of putting in the time between now and July 10, getting everyone together, and hopefully from there it'll be smooth sailing in terms of what we have to accomplish in order to get playing again. But obviously it's helpful having dates. Having to go that long without any news or hard information in terms of a start time is tough, but we know it now and hopefully we can go in the right direction."
    Phase 2, which allows teams to hold limited workouts with small groups at their team facilities, began Monday.
    "I think everyone's excited to play hockey again," Chicago Blackhawks forward Alex DeBrincat said. "I know it's been a tough few months for a lot of us, not being able to get on the ice or anything, and to finally get back on the ice the past two days has been really fun for me."
    The NHL announced its Return to Play Plan on May 26 with 24 teams in competition for the Stanley Cup. It will begin with the Stanley Cup Qualifiers, which will include 16 teams playing eight best-of-5 series, and a round-robin among the top four teams in each conference to determine seeding for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The qualifiers will be held at two hub cities to be identified -- one for the 12 participating Eastern Conference teams and one for the 12 Western Conference teams -- and begin at a date to be determined.
    The 2019-20 NHL season was paused March 12 due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus, and facilities were closed.
    "We have a month before the camp starts and we have two weeks before games start, so we have plenty of time to prepare," Arizona Coyotes goalie Adin Hill told The Arizona Republic. "It's going to be weird without those regular-season games leading into the playoffs, but it's going to be those high-intensity, high-energy playoff games off the bat. We're really looking forward to it."
    In Phase 2, players can participate on a voluntary basis, and workouts (on-ice and off-ice) are limited to a maximum of six players at any time, plus a limited number of staff.

yisman

Next up will be selecting two hub cities which will play host to the games, with a decision expected to come within the next 10 days.
    Of the 10 potential hubs, including three in Canada, Las Vegas is considered a strong candidate, a person familiar with discussions told The Associated Press on Friday night. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because talks are private and the selection process hasn't been completed.
    The league and players must also agree on testing and health-and-safety protocols amid the pandemic before games can resume.

mr. leisure

Reaves signs two-year, $3.5 million contract with Golden Knights

Forward could have been unrestricted free agent after season

Ryan Reaves signed a two-year, $3.5 million contract with the Vegas Golden Knights on Monday. It has an average annual value of $1.75 million.

The forward could have become an unrestricted free agent after the season.
    "Real good signing for our organization," Golden Knights general manager Kelly McCrimmon said. "He's become a real valuable player to our team. He's widely respected across the League by both teammates and opponents. I think with as hard a game as he plays, he does a really good job with his discipline, and I think in part that's because he's a respected player by the referees. He's not cheap. He's honest. He's tough. He's hard. He's a really intelligent player. The coaching staff really appreciate what he does for our team."
    Reaves scored 15 points (eight goals, seven assists) and led the NHL with 316 hits in 71 games this season before it was paused March 12 due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus.
    "I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and there's two things I haven't accomplished," Reaves said in a video tweeted by Vegas. "No. 1, I haven't won a Stanley Cup. No. 2, I haven't won a scoring title. Now, I can win a Stanley Cup this year, I can do it. I can't win the scoring title, can't do it, just missed it by a couple of points, and I also can't do it next year if I don't have a contract. So I am happy to announce that I just signed a two-year contract extension with your Vegas Golden Knights."
    The Golden Knights (39-24-8, .606 points percentage) finished third in the Western Conference and will participate in the Stanley Cup Qualifiers under the 24-team NHL Return to Play Plan. They will play a round-robin at a date and site to be decided with the St. Louis Blues, Colorado Avalanche and Dallas Stars to determine seeding for the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
    Reaves, who was selected by the Blues in the fifth round (No. 156) of the 2005 NHL Draft, has 96 points (48 goals, 48 assists) in 649 NHL games for the Blues, Pittsburgh Penguins and Golden Knights. He helped Vegas reach the Stanley Cup Final in its inaugural season of 2017-18.

yisman

The Buffalo Sabres signed defenseman Oskari Laaksonen to a three-year entry-level contract on Monday.
    Laaksonen was Buffalo's third-round pick in the 2017 draft and spent the past two-plus seasons playing in Finland's Elite League.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO

Next up will be selecting two hub cities which will play host to the games, with a decision expected to come within the next 10 days.
    Of the 10 potential hubs, including three in Canada, Las Vegas is considered a strong candidate, a person familiar with discussions told The Associated Press on Friday night. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because talks are private and the selection process hasn't been completed.
    The league and players must also agree on testing and health-and-safety protocols amid the pandemic before games can resume.
    I would think Vegas would be a shoe in

mr. leisure

Edmonton, Toronto, Vancouver each can be hub city in Return to Play Plan

Canada won't hold NHL players to 14-day quarantine requirement for coronavirus

Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver each will be eligible to be a hub city as part of the NHL Return to Play Plan, Canada Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday.

"We have indicated that we are comfortable with moving forward on an NHL hub in one of three Canadian cities that are asking for it," Trudeau said. "Obviously, the decision needs to be made by the NHL and the cities and the provinces in the jurisdiction. Canada is open to it as long as it is OK by the local health authorities."
    The NHL had said a Canadian city would not be chosen if players were required to complete the mandatory 14-day quarantine currently in effect for people entering Canada. Trudeau said the border with the United States will remain closed to nonessential travel through at least July 21, Reuters reported, but that the closure does not affect NHL players, some of whom have already been traveling to rejoin their teams.
    The NHL, which paused the season March 12 due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus, announced 10 cities are in the running to be one of two hub cities -- one for the 12 participating Eastern Conference teams and one for the 12 Western Conference teams.
    Under the 24-team Return to Play Plan, the Stanley Cup Qualifiers will have the top four teams in each conference, based on regular-season points percentage, play a round-robin to determine seeding. The other eight teams in each conference will play four best-of-5 series, with the winners playing the four round-robin teams in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
    "The National Hockey League appreciates the significant effort that the government of Canada put into reviewing this matter and satisfying itself that the League's protocol and processes for Return to Play were thorough, well thought out and, most importantly, focused on the health and safety of all concerned," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement to the Toronto Star. "The League will continue to work with the respective provincial governments and health authorities in the coming days as we consider our hub cities decision."
    In addition to Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto, the NHL is considering seven United States cities -- Chicago, Dallas, Columbus, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Pittsburgh -- to be hubs.
    Phase 3 of the Return to Play Plan, which is the start of training camp, will begin July 10 provided medical and safety conditions allow and the NHL and the NHL Players' Association reach an agreement on resuming play. The NHL has not announced when the qualifiers will begin.

yisman

Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula reversed course by firing general manager Jason Botterill on Tuesday as part of a drastic cost-cutting purge of front-office staff and scouts on a team preparing to sit idle for what could be the remainder of the calendar year.
    The Pegulas cited a lack of communication and philosophical differences in announcing the decision to fire Botterill, three weeks after saying the GM would be retained.

mr. leisure

Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula reversed course by firing general manager Jason Botterill on Tuesday as part of a drastic cost-cutting purge of front-office staff and scouts on a team preparing to sit idle for what could be the remainder of the calendar year.
    The Pegulas cited a lack of communication and philosophical differences in announcing the decision to fire Botterill, three weeks after saying the GM would be retained.
    They changed their mind pretty quick .

yisman

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the Canadian government is “open” to the NHL operating a playoff “hub city” in Canada as long as it is allowed by local health authorities.
    Trudeau said Tuesday the decision will need to be made by the NHL and the provincial and municipal governments where the league wishes to operate.

mr. leisure

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the Canadian government is “open” to the NHL operating a playoff “hub city” in Canada as long as it is allowed by local health authorities.
    Trudeau said Tuesday the decision will need to be made by the NHL and the provincial and municipal governments where the league wishes to operate.
    I think he got a lot of pressure to cancel that 14 day quarantine .

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Don't see it happening, a Canadian city being a hub city.

yisman

The Edmonton Oilers’ resurgence placed Connor McDavid back in the NHL MVP conversation, along with teammate Leon Draisaitl.
    Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon and Boston’s David Pastrnak made their case, too, during a pandemic-shortened season. And don’t forget Artemi Panarin, a late entry in the discussion after the New York Rangers finished 11th in the Eastern Conference, enough to qualify for the league’s proposed 24-team playoff format.
    Difficult as it may be to remember the last time the puck dropped on March 11, the three months that have passed at least provided time for awards voters to pore over the numbers before submitting their ballots this week.

yisman

The Tampa Bay Lightning closed their facilities Thursday after five team employees tested positive for the coronavirus, a person with knowledge of the situation tells The Associated Press.
    The person spoke to The AP on Friday on the condition of anonymity because the NHL and the team are not announcing the closure. The NHL is also no longer announcing which teams individual players tested positive.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Auston Matthews tested positive today as well.

mr. leisure

Opening is going to be delayed .

mr. leisure

NHL statement on Phase 2 testing

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League today released the following statement on Phase 2 testing:

Since NHL Clubs were permitted to open their training facilities on June 8, all Players entering these facilities for voluntary training have been subject to mandatory testing for COVID-19. Through today, in excess of 200 Players have undergone multiple testing. A total of 11 of these Players have tested positive. All Players who have tested positive have been self-isolated and are following CDC and Health Canada protocols.
    The NHL will provide a weekly update on the number of tests administered to Players and the results of those tests. The League will not be providing information on the identity of the Players or their Clubs

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by mr. leisure View Post
    Opening is going to be delayed .
    I wonder how much of a delay?

yisman

Nico Hischier is putting his extended offseason to good use.
    The No. 1 overall pick in the 2017 draft is fulfilling his military obligation to Switzerland, which has a mandatory 18-week service for men followed by three-week stints over the next six or seven years.
    Hischier had thought about fulfilling it during the season, but with the Devils uncertain when they would return from the pause, it turned out to be the perfect option.

yisman

The NHL announced late Friday that 11 of the 200 players tested since training facilities were allowed to open on June 8 have tested positive. They are self isolating. The league declined to say who.

mr. leisure

NHL narrows hub options, with Columbus out

The National Hockey League has begun winnowing its possible locations to restart the season amid the coronavirus pandemic.
    The Blue Jackets were informed Monday that Columbus will not be one of the NHL's hub cities. Columbus was one of 10 finalists, including seven in the U.S.
    Las Vegas is now considered the U.S. favorite to host NHL playoff games, unless two Canadian cities are selected. Canada's federal government last week said it would allow the league to quarantine internally, making Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton realistic possibilities -- if not the front-runners.
    The NHL has said it will select two hub cities -- one for the Eastern Conference playoffs and one for the Western Conference. The Stanley Cup Final or "final four" would likely be in one of the two cities.

yisman

Veteran forward Chris Thorburn announced his retirement Monday after playing more than 800 NHL games for four different organizations since 2005 and winning the Stanley Cup with the St. Louis Blues.
    Thorburn spent his last time on the ice celebrating the Blues winning their first Stanley Cup last season. Despite playing just one game for the Blues in 2018-19, he was the fourth player handed the Cup after Game 7 in Boston.

yisman

Pittsburgh is out of the running to be one of the two hubs for the NHL when the league resumes its season amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
    The Penguins submitted what the club called an ''aggressive'' bid to be a hub city and was among the 10 finalists - including seven in the U.S. - announced by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. They announced Tuesday they weren't selected, joining the Columbus Blue Jackets.

First ... 17181920212223 ... Last