batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10113

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
    On Tuesday, MLB released the tentative schedule for the 2018 season. The big takeaway? It's the return of a true Opening Day. Take a look at the slate for Thursday, March 29 -- i.e., the first day of baseball for the 2018 campaign (start times not yet announced):

• Astros at Rangers
    • Angels at Athletics
    • Indians at Mariners
    • White Sox at Royals
    • Pirates at Tigers
    • Twins at Orioles
    • Red Sox at Rays
    • Yankees at Blue Jays
    • Rockies at Diamondbacks
    • Giants at Dodgers
    • Brewers at Padres
    • Cubs at Marlins
    • Nationals at Reds
    • Cardinals at Mets
    • Phillies at Braves

Yep, all 15 teams are in action on the first day of the regular season. That's a true Opening Day -- i.e., no night-before game or an overseas contest to start things off -- and that hasn't happened since way back yonder in 1968. If you're an Opening Day traditionalist (like, say, Johnny Bench is), then this should be welcome news. Also, throw out those games played abroad, and this is the earliest the MLB season has ever opened.
    I like it!... I remember when the reds game was the first one....

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33110

On Tuesday, MLB released the tentative schedule for the 2018 season. The big takeaway? It's the return of a true Opening Day. Take a look at the slate for Thursday, March 29 -- i.e., the first day of baseball for the 2018 campaign (start times not yet announced):

• Astros at Rangers
    • Angels at Athletics
    • Indians at Mariners
    • White Sox at Royals
    • Pirates at Tigers
    • Twins at Orioles
    • Red Sox at Rays
    • Yankees at Blue Jays
    • Rockies at Diamondbacks
    • Giants at Dodgers
    • Brewers at Padres
    • Cubs at Marlins
    • Nationals at Reds
    • Cardinals at Mets
    • Phillies at Braves

Yep, all 15 teams are in action on the first day of the regular season. That's a true Opening Day -- i.e., no night-before game or an overseas contest to start things off -- and that hasn't happened since way back yonder in 1968. If you're an Opening Day traditionalist (like, say, Johnny Bench is), then this should be welcome news. Also, throw out those games played abroad, and this is the earliest the MLB season has ever opened.
    Like it , lets go !

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Toronto ain't going nowhere this year.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO

Aaron Boone unveiled today his pitching rotation for the start of the regular season. The Yankees manager will be handing Luis Severino the ball on Opening Day in Toronto. Jordan Montgomery will get the start in the Yankees' home opener four days later. Here's the complete rotation: Severino, Masahiro Tanaka, CC Sabathia, Sonny Gray and Montgomery.
    Little surprising but good for him

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 513

• Mariners manager Scott Servais is hopeful that Hisashi Iwakuma can throw a bullpen session before the end of Spring Training, Servais told MLB.com’s Greg Johns (Twitter link) and other reporters. Iwakuma is roughly expected to return by late May or early June, as the veteran righty continues his recovery from undergoing shoulder surgery last September. Iwakuma re-signed with Seattle on a minor league deal, giving the M’s a potential extra bit of rotation depth once he is fully healthy.
    • The Athletics optioned right-hander Chris Bassitt to Triple-A today in the wake of a rough Spring Training, though Bassitt told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle that he believes a lack of communication about his role contributed to his 7.11 ERA over 6 1/3 IP. According to Bassitt, “I was told coming into camp I was going to compete for a starting spot and never got a single chance…It’s hard to prepare when you don’t know what you’re preparing for. Anyone just wants to know what they’re expecting out of you and so far no one can really answer that yet.” Bassitt said he was willing to pitch in whatever role the A’s wanted, except he just wanted more notice and more clarity about that role. “The way my mechanics are, I pretty much have to go out of the stretch when I come out of the bullpen, and I wasn’t prepared to be a reliever, I really wasn’t. It’s frustrating all around that wasn’t relayed to me all offseason,” he said. Oakland manager Bob Melvin said he felt the team “tried to intimate that to” Bassitt that he would be deployed in an undefined role as a swingman, long reliever, or starter depending on the situation. Bassitt last pitched in the majors in April 2016, as he was sidelined for much of that season due to Tommy John surgery, and he tossed 50 2/3 innings in the minors in 2017.
    • Though Jose Altuve’s five-year, $151MM extension doesn’t begin until the 2020 season, Fangraphs’ Craig Edwards believes the Astros aren’t facing too much risk in locking up the star second baseman. Comparing the Altuve deal to other extensions of five-plus years for players who were at least two seasons away from free agency, Altuve is younger than three of the names cited (Miguel Cabrera, Dustin Pedroia, Ryan Howard) and is coming off a much better platform year than Ryan Zimmerman when he inked his six-year, $100MM pact with the Nationals. The best comp might actually be Joey Votto’s ten-year, $225MM extension from the Reds, though Houston’s commitment to Altuve was only half as long. Since Altuve still projects to be an excellent player going forward, the extension also shouldn’t be considered a “gift” — as in, the Astros weren’t simply giving him a make-good deal since his original extension proved to be such an incredible bargain for the team.

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33110

Twins lose starting shortstop to 80-game suspension after testing positive for PED

Polanco tested positive for Stanozolol, a common banned substance

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47515

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    Toronto ain't going nowhere this year.
    they might as well trade Donaldson and go full rebuild mode.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

It's official: Max Scherzer will start Opening Day for the Nationals. Asked when he arrived at that decision, new skipper Davey Martinez said, "The day I got the job."

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

It's official: Max Scherzer will start Opening Day for the Nationals. Asked when he arrived at that decision, new skipper Davey Martinez said, "The day I got the job."
    surprise

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Hey Jakey, the Padres will have Clayton Richard for opening day.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    Hey Jakey, the Padres will have Clayton Richard for opening day.
    embarrassing.

he is a good innings eater and locker room guy that's about it!

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by mr. leisure View Post
    Twins lose starting shortstop to 80-game suspension after testing positive for PED

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Forbes ranking of MLB ballparks. Surprised the Rogers Centre got ranked as only the 9th worst to be honest. https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#2bf316ad6be4

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Target Field #16 It's basically a hybrid of AT&T and PNC...the two best stadiums. Nice try Forbes. And Fenway, for all it's history, is a toilet.
    Last edited by El Nino; 03-19-18 at 08:02 PM.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by batt33 View Post
    I like it!... I remember when the reds game was the first one....
    was a tradition for many years.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by mr. leisure View Post

cant fix stupid....

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Come on Polanco, trying to be Barry Bonds?

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    Forbes ranking of MLB ballparks. Surprised the Rogers Centre got ranked as only the 9th worst to be honest. https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#2bf316ad6be4
    Here's my ranking of the stadiums that I've been to. I'll be adding Fenway, Globe Life (Rangers) and Skydome this year.
    Petco
    PNC
    Camden Yards
    Citi Field
    Great American Ballpark
    Nationals Park
    Citizens Bank
    Dodger Stadium
    Yankee Stadium
    Marlins Park
    Tropicana

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Justin Turner has a broken wrist

HBP tonight against Oakland

EmpireMaker

Star Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner has been diagnosed with a broken left wrist after being hit by a pitch in tonight’s spring game, manager Dave Roberts said after the contest. (H/t Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, via Twitter). The unfortunate news strikes a blow to the defending National League champs less than two weeks before the start of the 2018 season.
    Turner says it’s a “small, non-displaced fracture,” as Pedro Moura of The Athletic tweets, though we’ll need to await further information before it’s clear how long he’ll be out. Precise details of the injury, as well as its course of treatment and how the veteran proceeds through rehab, will obviously dictate the timeline. It seems clear, based upon generally similar past injuries, that Turner won’t be available for Opening Day and will be out for at least six weeks or so.
    The 33-year-old Turner has been among the game’s more productive players in recent seasons. While he has dealt with some injuries, only once appearing in over 130 games since breaking out in Los Angeles, Turner has racked up 18.8 rWAR and 18.2 fWAR over the past four campaigns. He was never better at the plate than in 2017, when he posted an outstanding .322/.415/.530 slash with 21 home runs and more walks (59) than strikeouts (56) over 543 plate appearances.
    Replacing that production isn’t reasonably possible, though the Dodgers are about as well-equipped as any team to do so. The club can bump Logan Forsythe to the hot corner while utilizing any number of players at second base. Veteran Chase Utley will no doubt see plenty off time against right-handers, as had already been expected, while versatile right-handed hitters Austin Barnes and Enrique Hernandez will surely also factor into the infield mix.
    The injury to Turner will open an opportunity for another player to join the roster to open the season. It’s possible the club could carry an infielder such as Jake Peter or Donovan Solano, neither of whom is on the 40-man, though perhaps the likelier scenario is to keep another outfielder while utilizing Hernandez more on the dirt. Los Angeles is facing tough decisions on players such as Matt Kemp, Joc Pederson, Andrew Toles, and the out-of-options Trayce Thompson, so the injury to Turner could allow the club to keep one more of those names. Alternatively, the Dodgers could break camp with Kyle Farmer as a reserve catcher while giving Barnes more time at second base. Needless to say, there are plenty of possibilities.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Not a bad time to get injured.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post

I hate to rejoice at someone else's expense but fukk the dodgers!!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Here's my ranking of the stadiums that I've been to. I'll be adding Fenway, Globe Life (Rangers) and Skydome this year.
    Petco
    PNC
    Camden Yards
    Citi Field
    Great American Ballpark
    Nationals Park
    Citizens Bank
    Dodger Stadium
    Yankee Stadium
    Marlins Park
    Tropicana
    solid list

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Zack Greinke, with groin tightness, won't start Diamondbacks' opener

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Zack Greinke won't be the opening-day starter for the Arizona Diamondbacks.
    Manager Torey Lovullo said what's perceived to be a minor health issue will bench his ace for the opener.

Lovullo, speaking before Monday's spring training game against the Chicago White Sox, said the tightness Greinke experienced in his groin in his latest start last Wednesday led to him being ruled out for what is usually his opening-day role. Greinke left that game after one inning.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

SP Alex Cobb agrees with Orioles on 4 year, $60M deal.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post

dodgers starting the injury parade early

EmpireMaker

Alex Cobb’s agreement with the Orioles is the day’s biggest news out of the AL East, but here are some more notable items from around the division…

• The Red Sox seem to be inclined to carry the out-of-options Blake Swihart on the active roster to open the season, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. While the club obviously feels it doesn’t want to lose out on his upside, that decision would also create some constraints elsewhere — perhaps forcing the Sox to make a move instead with one of their utility infielders. Indeed, as Sean McAdam of the Boston Sports Journal writes (subscription link), the Sox have begun putting out feelers with other organizations regarding Deven Marrero (who is also out of option) and Brock Holt. While it’s not clear that either has drawn significant interest, it seems the team is preparing to move one of them or another similar player as part of its roster-maintenance efforts at the tail end of camp.
    • Manny Machado’s move back to shortstop was inspired by his love for the position, the Orioles star tells ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick, not as a way to better position himself for free agency next winter. “I think a lot of people are saying, ’He’s going over there because he wants more money or more value.’ It doesn’t come down to money or more value,” Machado said. “I’ve already established myself as a player. I’m worth what I’m worth already. It doesn’t matter if I’m at short or third. The transition over there is because that’s where my heart is. That’s what I do.” Machado’s preparation for the position switch included changes to his diet and offseason training regimen, and scouts have given promising early reviews about Machado’s defensive prowess at shortstop.
    • Kendrys Morales lost weight in the offseason and is hoping to adjust his swing so that he hits fewer grounders in 2018, Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca writes. Due to his lack of speed and opposing fielders playing the shift, Morales grounded into 22 double plays last season, which helped contributed to his below-average 97 wRC+ despite 28 homers and lots of hard contact. The subpar offensive performance and Morales’ lack of defensive contributions made him a sub-replacement level (-0.6 fWAR) player in his first year with the Blue Jays.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Bryce Harper just went deep to dead center for his second jack of spring training. The Nats star is now slashing .371/.450/.629. Normally, preseason stats matter not, but in this case, the stats suggest a fully healthy Harper. As long as that continues, look for the former MVP to put up huge contract-year numbers.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Bryce Harper just went deep to dead center for his second jack of spring training. The Nats star is now slashing .371/.450/.629. Normally, preseason stats matter not, but in this case, the stats suggest a fully healthy Harper. As long as that continues, look for the former MVP to put up huge contract-year numbers.

gotta stay healthy too

JAKEPEAVY21

I'm interested to see how much cash he commands on the open market.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

ddddddddddddddddddd

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post

Cody Bellinger next? Lol
    Last edited by JMobile; 03-21-18 at 09:24 PM.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO

Doesn't it seem to work that way....

First ... 18192021222324 ... Last