Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    Josh Hamilton out of baseball due to his body continuing to break down. Drug abuse probably to blame.

Daisuke still pitching in Asia.
    yeah wonder if he stays on the wagon

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Hope the best for Josh Hamilton. Very scary if he goes back to drugs and blows all of his money.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Sam Travis will make his major-league debut for the Red Sox tonight at Fenway Park. He will play first base and bat seventh against Texas Rangers lefty Martin Perez

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Bartolo Colon turns 44 years old today. Big Sexy having a rough season so far in ATL.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Chris Sale no hiiter in the fourth - game tied at 1-1
    I've seen no hitters that have lost before.

Speaking of no hitters, I bet Chatwood tonight, he's got one in the fourth against Philly.

Oops, spoke to soon, there goes Sale's no hitter, 2-1 Strangers over Sawks.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    the German, Max Kepler..I'm sure he played soccer as a youth in Deutschland...
    That Twins team has some dudes that can rake, really rake.
    Santana is the reason for the early Twins success, he's 7 and 2 in 10 starts, 8 of the 10 starts have been quality starts, and ERA of under 2, a WH/IP under 1. Those are very impressive numbers. Let's see what he does over the next 20 starts though, because the rest of the staff sucks. Santiago is mediocre at best, started the season on fire, last two have been rocky, smacked by the Royals and croaked by the Indians, and it gets worse from there. Phil Hughes sucks, he always sucked, he even sucked when he won 18 games in 2010 for the NYY, he had an ERA of 4.2, a WH/IP of 1.25, but here's the kicker!
    Phil Hughes holds the record (since the stat has been being recorded) of the most run support for a starting pitcher ever.
    In 2010 Hughes had a run support of 6.48. Every start Hughes made, the Yanks scored 6 1/2 runs for him on the average. No stsarter in the history of the RS stat has had that kind of backing. Stevie Wonder can win 18 with 6 1/2 runs per game.

Anyway getting back to the Twins hitters, six of the regulars hit .280 or better against RH pitching, 5 over .290
    Sano and Vargas have OPS over 1.000 (very impressive) my personal favorite, Grossman has a sweet swing and Jake's boy, Kepler I love to watch hit too, he's better than .270

Problem is rotation is not deep, deep as a puddle, major drop off after Santana, and Kintzler is having a nice season as a closer (I know, he's my #3 closer in NFBC) but after that and Breslow, the 'pen is leaky. I still don't trust Tyler Duffey.

But the team can hit.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 513

9:30pm: Ellsbury has been placed on the 7-day DL, tweets MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch. The team has yet to announce a corresponding roster move, however.
    7:30pm: The Yankees announced that center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury was removed from tonight’s game with a concussion and a neck sprain. Ellsbury made a sensational catch of a deep fly-ball to center field but crashed into wall upon making the grab and was down on the field for several seconds before being attended to by trainers (video link). That occurred on the first play of the game, and while Ellsbury initially remained in the contest, he was replaced by Aaron Hicks in the bottom of the second inning.
    While the Yankees haven’t made an announcement of a DL trip, it seems that the diagnosis of a concussion would likely call for a trip to the 7-day disabled list. Ellsbury has played quite well thus far in 2017, hitting .281/.349/.422 with four homers and eight steals through the first 153 plate appearances of his age-33 campaign. If he is indeed sidelined, the Yanks have the outfield depth to get by, as Hicks has also been tremendous in what is shaping up to be a breakout campaign. Hicks or Brett Gardner could handle the bulk of the work in center, with the other playing left field and Aaron Judge manning right field.
    In the event of a DL stint, Mason Williams seems like the most logical candidate to replace Ellsbury on the roster. The fleet-footed 25-year-old has hit poorly in Triple-A this season, but he’s already on the Yankees’ 40-man roster, whereas top prospect Clint Frazier would require a corresponding 40-man roster move. And, given the organization’s hope for Frazier in the long run, the Yankees may not want to bring Frazier up as a temporary injury replacement. Alternatively, the ability of both Hicks and Gardner to handle center field could make Rob Refsnyder a short-term option, as he’s begun to play some corner outfield in recent seasons as well.

Otters27

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    Bartolo Colon turns 44 years old today. Big Sexy having a rough season so far in ATL.
    Amazing that guy. He might be playing independent ball soon

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47515

Hunter Renfroe hits a game winning moon shot vs the mets. The youngster has massive power but can be pitched to. He needs more patience and plate discipline but is making improvements and adjustments from earlier in the season.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Hunter Renfroe hits a game winning moon shot vs the mets. The youngster has massive power but can be pitched to. He needs more patience and plate discipline but is making improvements and adjustments from earlier in the season.

Good of looking young kid

stevenash

McCutchen is benched again this afternoon.
    Sad

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    McCutchen is benched again this afternoon.
    Sad
    Hard to believe that he's washed up by age 30. I thought he just had an off year last season and was due to bounce back in 2017.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

The Reds claimed RHP Jake Buchanan off waivers from the Cubs on Thursday. Buchanan, 27, has 24 career appearances (three starts), posting a 3.75 ERA and 1.31 WHIP in 50 1/3 innings.

The Reds also designated 1B/OF Peter O'Brien for assignment and placed LHP Amir Garrett (right hip inflammation) on the 10-day DL, retroactive to Wednesday.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

That Twins team has some dudes that can rake, really rake.
    Santana is the reason for the early Twins success, he's 7 and 2 in 10 starts, 8 of the 10 starts have been quality starts, and ERA of under 2, a WH/IP under 1. Those are very impressive numbers. Let's see what he does over the next 20 starts though, because the rest of the staff sucks. Santiago is mediocre at best, started the season on fire, last two have been rocky, smacked by the Royals and croaked by the Indians, and it gets worse from there. Phil Hughes sucks, he always sucked, he even sucked when he won 18 games in 2010 for the NYY, he had an ERA of 4.2, a WH/IP of 1.25, but here's the kicker!
    Phil Hughes holds the record (since the stat has been being recorded) of the most run support for a starting pitcher ever.
    In 2010 Hughes had a run support of 6.48. Every start Hughes made, the Yanks scored 6 1/2 runs for him on the average. No stsarter in the history of the RS stat has had that kind of backing. Stevie Wonder can win 18 with 6 1/2 runs per game.

Anyway getting back to the Twins hitters, six of the regulars hit .280 or better against RH pitching, 5 over .290
    Sano and Vargas have OPS over 1.000 (very impressive) my personal favorite, Grossman has a sweet swing and Jake's boy, Kepler I love to watch hit too, he's better than .270

Problem is rotation is not deep, deep as a puddle, major drop off after Santana, and Kintzler is having a nice season as a closer (I know, he's my #3 closer in NFBC) but after that and Breslow, the 'pen is leaky. I still don't trust Tyler Duffey.

But the team can hit.
    Berrios is a stud. Some have compared him to Jose Fernandez. Guey has filthy stuff. Only...he won't kill people while doing cocaine and crashing a boat.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Berrios is a stud. Some have compared him to Jose Fernandez. Guey has filthy stuff. Only...he won't kill people while doing cocaine and crashing a boat.
    I need to see more of Berrios, what I've seen I like.

Watching the D-Back game and Ray again, guy is freaking electric for a second straight start.
    I just think he wastes too many pitches, make no mistake, he's a stud though

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Nice bonus that he doesn't kill people that on boats.

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33110

7 earned runs today in 5 IP

EmpireMaker

Sonny Gray’s two most recent starts for the Athletics have altered his stock in a hurry, writes ESPN’s Buster Olney. Gray’s struggles over the past 13 to 14 months have been tied not only to injury but to a (quite possibly related) drop in his swinging-strike rate, but he’s racked up swings-and-misses in his each of his past two outings thanks to a revitalized breaking pitch. Gray’s velocity spiked in his most recent start, as well — an outing in which he completed seven one-run innings and whiffed 11 Marlins hitters on just 88 pitches. Olney suggests that Gray could emerge as the top trade target on the market if this trend continues much longer, as the A’s are typically willing to deal earlier than most clubs, there are motivated buyers already (e.g. Cubs, Yankees, Astros) and Oakland may wish to cash in while Gray is looking impressive.
    More from the game’s Western divisions…

• Injured Angels relievers Huston Street, Mike Morin and Cam Bedrosian are all making good progress in their recoveries, writes Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register. And while Morin has minor league options remaining and isn’t a lock to return to the big league club right away, the returns of Street and Bedrosian will give manager Mike Scioscia some interesting decisions when it comes to late-inning bullpen usage. Bud Norris has been outstanding in a ninth-inning role, but Bedrosian has been the team’s best reliever for a year, and Street is has the track record and salary of a veteran closer. Fletcher notes that the Angels only have two relievers with minor league options at present, one being left-hander Jose Alvarez, who won’t be going anywhere. As such, it seems that another 40-man move could be necessary. Bedrosian is set to start a rehab assignment within the next week or so.
    • Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union Tribune takes a look at right-hander Dinelson Lamet’s unlikely path to the Major Leagues in advance of the 24-year-old’s MLB debut. Lamet, who will start for the Padres tonight, is the rare Dominican-born prospect that did not sign until after his 20th birthday, Lin notes. Most Dominican ballplayers that show big league potential are snatched up beginning at age 16 and possibly a year or two later, but Lamet signed less than two months before turning 22 and is now set to debut less than three years later. As Lin writes, Lamet was poised to sign with the Phillies, but a documentation issue torpedoed that deal. Lin chats with former Padres exec Randy Smith about what the team saw in Lamet as an amateur and how they went about closing the deal.
    • Padres manager Andy Green won’t name Brad Hand his new closer despite the lefty’s save in last night’s win over the Mets, but he did tell reporters that Hand and former closer Brandon Maurer will both be in the mix for saves (link via MLB.com’s AJ Cassavell). “It’s going to be looking at the game and seeing what’s best for the group of guys we have at that point in time,” says Green. “I think we’ll just bounce guys around and utilize them in the best way possible going forward right now. Wouldn’t be shocked at all to see Brandon Maurer in that situation in the ninth. Wouldn’t be shocked to see Brad Hand back in that situation.” Hand, of course, saw his name pop up as a trade target in a couple of reports last night and figures to be an oft-rumored trade candidate in the months leading up to the non-waiver deadline. For that matter, though, Maurer could also generate interest, though he’d first need to distance himself from a rough stretch of games through which he struggled in mid-May.
    • Jack Magruder of FanRag Sports adds some context to Shelby Miller’s recent Tommy John surgery, tweeting that Miller was diagnosed with a 50 percent tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. The extent of the tear doesn’t necessarily change Miller’s timeline for recovery, of course. He’ll still miss the remainder of the 2017 season and hope to return to the D-backs’ rotation at some point in the first half of the 2017 campaign.

Otters27

Cubs starting to play well. Do they have a 15-4 type run in them

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Good of looking young kid
    strapping young lad, country strong but rough around the edges and somehow has 7 errors in right field in less than 50 games...

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

I need to see more of Berrios, what I've seen I like.

Watching the D-Back game and Ray again, guy is freaking electric for a second straight start.
    I just think he wastes too many pitches, make no mistake, he's a stud though
    Yep, that's always been the critique on Ray. Great stuff, but by the 7th inning, his pitch count is high. He tied a career high in innings pitched in a game at 7 & 2/3 innings against the Pads his last start. Speaking of electric, I love Bradley in the bullpen.

BigSpoon
    Henlo

Quote Originally Posted by mr. leisure View Post
    7 earned runs today in 5 IP
    6.96 ERA and 1.58 WHIP in 53 IP over 10 starts in 2017.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

6.96 ERA and 1.58 WHIP in 53 IP over 10 starts in 2017.
    oh my

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

The Dodgers claimed 1B Mike Freeman and P Chris Heston off waivers from the Mariners. Los Angeles also transferred LF Andrew Toles (torn ACL) and P Scott Kazmir (hip) from the 10-day DL to the 60-day DL.

stevenash

stevenash

I had my eye on Eduardo Rodriquez all winter (NFBC)
    Had a feeling he's put it all together this season, got him in the 22nd round, throwing another gem so far tonight, that lefty is legit.

Straily at it again, I didn't post it, but he was a steal tonight at -122.
    He's mowing down the Angels so far.

Max being Max, he's on cruise control on pace to K 14 Padres.
    If I were ever to lay -240 on a baseball game (and I never will) tonight would be that game.
    Considered parlaying Max, did not, I wanted the Straily and the Fish wager to be a stand alone.

He's not been very good this season, but the feeling here is Jake tosses a good one tonight.
    I'm taking a shot with the Cubs at +125 and Jake over the very steady and solid Alex Wood and the Dodgers.
    +125 with that line up that hits LHP well is a good value.

Oh, my KC Royals still suck, word is Dayton Moore and Mr. Glass is going to trade off some of the free agent to be talent (Cain, Moose, maybe Hoss) I'd hate to see Hoss go, he's the face of that franchise, and the people of Missouri adore him, but if they decide to trade off for prospects I'm OK with that, that 2015 team gave me baseball thrills I will take to my grave, I watched Cain and Hoss and Perez and Moose and the rest come up pretty much together, followed most of them through the minors.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    yeah wonder if he stays on the wagon
    he made two teams suffer

the Rays of course and then the Angels gave him a massive contract

Rays lost the first overall and money and the Angels had given him a $125 million contract I think and had to absorb a large chunk when they sent him back to Texas

EmpireMaker

The Red Sox won’t count on Hanley Ramirez being capable of playing first base again this year, president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski told reporters including Tim Britton of the Providence Journal. Shoulder troubles have persisted for the veteran, relegating him to DH duties. “The potential negatives of him going out and [playing first], at this point don’t outweigh the positives that we get from having his bat in as our DH,” Dombrowski explained. “We just have to maneuver around it.” For the time being, at least, rookie Sam Travis is up to provide a right-handed-hitting option at first along side lefty Mitch Moreland.
    Here’s more on some injury situations around the American League:

• There’s some welcome news on the injury front for the Mariners, who watched lefty James Paxton through four innings and 55 pitches tonight in a rehab outing, as MLB.com’s Greg Johns reports (Twitter links). The expectation is that he’ll take the ball for Seattle on Wednesday. Fellow rehabbing starters Felix Hernandez and Hisashi Iwakuma are slated for bullpen sessions in the coming days, too, leading skipper Scott Servais to say that the club is finally “starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.”
    • Two Athletics pitchers, meanwhile, are dealing with injury issues. Right-hander Kendall Graveman is suffering from some shoulder issues, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle tweets, though the seriousness isn’t yet clear. And while the MRI results were promising for fellow righty Jesse Hahn, MLB.com’s Jane Lee reports on Twitter, his triceps problem is likely to require a DL stint. Jharel Cotton will come up to take a rotation spot this weekend.
    • Finally, the Rangers will be awaiting the results of further evaluation on righty A.J. Griffin, but he’s heading to the DL, according to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News (via Twitter). Per a club announcement, he left his start tonight with a left intercostal strain. Even if Griffin ends up missing some time, though, it may not work out too badly for Texas. As Grant notes (Twitter links), the team could fill the opening with Tyson Ross — if he’s ready. Alternatively, Yohander Mendez could be an option. For the time being, though, veteran Dillon Gee will head onto the active roster.

Otters27

Won with Rockies again. This team is red hot

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Yep, that's always been the critique on Ray. Great stuff, but by the 7th inning, his pitch count is high. He tied a career high in innings pitched in a game at 7 & 2/3 innings against the Pads his last start. Speaking of electric, I love Bradley in the bullpen.
    nothing like the 7th overall pick a couple of years ago being demoted to the bullpen

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

he made two teams suffer

Rays lost the first overall and money and the Angels had given him a $125 million contract I think and had to absorb a large chunk when they sent him back to Texas

that is for sure

stevenash

I guess we can say NL MVP is a two man race between Blackmon and Harper.

BigSpoon
    Henlo

I guess we can say NL MVP is a two man race between Blackmon and Harper.
    I'd say Harper the clear favorite atm. I'm not certain Blackmon is even the MVP on his own team. (Nolan Arenado is imo) I'd say my top 3 right now would be Harper, Goldschmidt, and Arenado.
    Last edited by BigSpoon; 05-27-17 at 02:45 PM.

stevenash

I'd say Harper the clear favorite atm. I'm not certain Blackmon is even the MVP on his own team. (Nolan Arenado is imo) I'd say my top 3 right now would be Harper, Goldschmidt, and Arenado.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&t=b&year=2017
    Look at his least 13 games.
    He's the best leadoff man in the game.

The American League MVP just croaked another one.
    His 16th

Scoring Summary

LAA MIA
    1st Trout homered to left. 1 0

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33110

he made two teams suffer

Yep , he really screwed the Angels .

First ... 34353637383940 ... Last