stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

2016 NASH All things Fantasy and MLB Baseball

Drafting later this afternoon in the 100 dollar entry Masters League and later on I'll be drafting in the big boy NFBC online event.

I'm done with the mock drafts, after 20 or so you get a real feel of the flow of players that go in each round.

My first draft I drew the nine hole, not exactly my ideal slot, but much better than 5-6-7.
    I like 1-2 or 11-12, reason being I like to have two picks grouped together.
    I had a mock several days ago with the ten pick, and I was astonished Kershaw was still there.
    I dominated that mock draft, you leave me Kershaw with the nine pick, providing the rest of my team isn't hurt, everybody else will be playing for second place.

The formula for a successful season is you must have 150/270.
    By that I mean if you don't have 150 or more stolen bases and 270 home runs, you probably not winning shit.

As I type this I just got word I am drawing second in the NFBC.
    To that I say YES !!!!
    No brainer there, if Trout goes 1, I'm take Goldschmidt two.

Anyway, my strategy early is speed and power and two power arms in the first five rounds.
    Position be damned, I want the sure fire steals from guys like Dee Gordon, etc, and the sure fire power from the Nelson Cruz types.

One last item for now, pay attention to the save category, neglect them you are also doomed.
    Don't be afraid to draft an elite closer in round six, you'll be glad you did when your team is still in contention in August.

Much, much, much more later.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

no interest in Harper at #2?

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    no interest in Harper at #2?
    No, he's prone to injuries and I don't think he can replicate last season, plus he's not a base stealer.
    At 5, yes, not at 2, maybe 3, maybe.

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

you playing in the $350 or higher? For the big online event?

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod124 View Post
    you playing in the $350 or higher? For the big online event?
    Yes, 30 rounds in 3 hours, I have a splitting headache.
    Top tier closers were flying off the board in rounds 6 and 7, Jansen and Kimbrel and Davis went in round 5.
    Insane draft.

Jrod124
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Yes, 30 rounds in 3 hours, I have a splitting headache.
    Top tier closers were flying off the board in rounds 6 and 7, Jansen and Kimbrel and Davis went in round 5.
    Insane draft.
    Wow 30 rounds, I like that idea of going after closers early. The league I am in however we use Holds/Saves so top notch middle relievers are just as good.

stevenash

Wow 30 rounds, I like that idea of going after closers early. The league I am in however we use Holds/Saves so top notch middle relievers are just as good.
    No trades, you start 23, keep a 7 man bench, and you can use the waiver wire.
    No trades = no collusion, this is the NFBC.

Rounds 27 and 28 I went deep sleeper, got Ian Kennedy and Finnegan (who pitched for KC, now starting for Reds, I like Finnegan)

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47650

Rounds 27 and 28 I went deep sleeper, got Ian Kennedy and Finnegan (who pitched for KC, now starting for Reds, I like Finnegan)
    Kennedy is a nice sleeper..he was decent with San Diego and K is a much better team, obviously...

Jrod124
    Update your status

I def like the no trades rule to eliminate possible collusion. Is this your first year doing the NFBC?

stevenash

Fantasy 4/3 (Opening day Sunday)

I def like the no trades rule to eliminate possible collusion. Is this your first year doing the NFBC?
    First year in NFBC, yes,
    I am a former 2006 CDM champion, I have won numerous daily contests at both the big sites, I have won the daily Moonshot at DK.....

I have been active in fantasy baseball for just about 20 years.

Sunday April 3, OPENING DAY THOUGHTS

Value plays to consider
    John Jaso OF (Catcher eligible at FanDuel) Pittsburgh ($2500 at FanDuel)

It's not so much the matchup (Wainwright) as much as it's the fact that Jaso hits lead off (check mlb starting nine before rostering him)
    By leading off Jaso is guaranteed 4 AB's versus the righty (unless Cards bring in a LHP reliever)
    Last season Jaso had a 38 percent hard hit rate against RHP while walking 11 percent and striking out only 18 percent of the time.

Lucas Duda
    ($2600 at FanDuel) New York Mets
    Duda owns his match up (left on right)
    Duda had a 40 percent hard hit ratio last season while posting a 51 percent fly ball rate versus RHP
    These are elite numbers and can not be ignored against a RHP like Volquez.
    Caution, the K's will frustrate, but a 2600 dollars, major bargain here.

Neil Walker
    ($2500 at FanDuel) NYM 2B
    Like Duda, I like Walker for the same reasons.
    Against RHP (Volquez) his hard hit ball ratio and fly ball ratio are equal at 35% which is very respectable.
    Tough to strike out.

Steve Piscotti ($2700 at FanDuel) St. Louis OF
    While Piscotti's minor league splits (RHB vs. LHP Liriano) are not eye popping in the minor's, his strike out rate is low and walk rate is high.
    If he's batting second, lock him in, he's guaranteed 4 AB's, if he's 6 or lower, still worth a look.
    This play is based on volume at bats (2nd in order) and walk/strikeout rate versus LHP

Others too look at are K. Morales, Granderson, Cespedes, McCutchen.

stevenash

MLB Fantasy - Players to keep an eye on April 4

Twins Park and Sano
    Both power hitters that can fatten up against Tillman.

Tillman had a 43 percent hard hit ratio last season and a 42 percent fly ball ratio last season.
    Add in Tillman has a hard time getting that third strike, I can see a lot of rawhides getting punished today.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Drafting later this afternoon in the 100 dollar entry Masters League and later on I'll be drafting in the big boy NFBC online event.

I'm done with the mock drafts, after 20 or so you get a real feel of the flow of players that go in each round.

My first draft I drew the nine hole, not exactly my ideal slot, but much better than 5-6-7.
    I like 1-2 or 11-12, reason being I like to have two picks grouped together.
    I had a mock several days ago with the ten pick, and I was astonished Kershaw was still there.
    I dominated that mock draft, you leave me Kershaw with the nine pick, providing the rest of my team isn't hurt, everybody else will be playing for second place.

The formula for a successful season is you must have 150/270.
    By that I mean if you don't have 150 or more stolen bases and 270 home runs, you probably not winning shit.

As I type this I just got word I am drawing second in the NFBC.
    To that I say YES !!!!
    No brainer there, if Trout goes 1, I'm take Goldschmidt two.

Anyway, my strategy early is speed and power and two power arms in the first five rounds.
    Position be damned, I want the sure fire steals from guys like Dee Gordon, etc, and the sure fire power from the Nelson Cruz types.

One last item for now, pay attention to the save category, neglect them you are also doomed.
    Don't be afraid to draft an elite closer in round six, you'll be glad you did when your team is still in contention in August.

Much, much, much more later.
    I disagree with you on closers. Closers can be found late and by being savvy with the waiver wire.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    I disagree with you on closers. Closers can be found late and by being savvy with the waiver wire.
    If you are fishing for closes in June because you are 11th out fo 12 in saves, you ain't winning shit.
    You can't win with a 3 in any category, another thing about the waiver wire is unless you are top 3 in the pecking order in regards to the waiver wire big chance somebody else has their eye on the same player you want.

The thing to do regarding closers is in the late rounds stash the top closers handcuffs.

Orioles for instance, stash O'Day in case Britton goes down.
    Waiver wire is a crap shoot, if you are ninth on the waiver wire list, you are not getting what you want, he'll be gone unless you bid a big chunk of your budget.

I won the CDM championship in 2006 because I had all my budget left while hunting down the mid season leader, he had a 31 point lead, but hand no budget left by August 15, and when his big boys were going down, he was left holding his johnson because he had to fill holes with less than replacement players, I had the budget to get Bagwell that pushed me over the top.

Bagwell got hurt earlier that season, he got dropped and I pounced.

I did not win any category that year, but had six nines and four eights.

stevenash

McHugh now has an ERA of 135.00
    If you bought Pollock in the 2nd round, you're screwed.
    Jose Fernandez K's 13 in 6 innings but gave up 5 runs.

Jrod124
    Update your status

Bump

Nash you going to be updating this with your thoughts? Or should we refer to your MLB thread. I just figured that was for betting talk and this one would be all about fantasy.

I have a question for you, do u keep Trevor Story if you can get a top flight starter like King Felix in a standard 5 x 5? Or does Story continue to produce in Denver at Coors Field?