Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

Somebody give me the lowdown on this daily fantasy BS

Is it any fun, is it profitable, is it worth my time? If it is, which one is best?

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

apparently there are posters here hitting for tens of thousands, check that thread from last month or so ill try and find it for you

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Profitable but it's tough. It is fun but don't expect to win big. Many of the big guys winning have many multiple entires in each tournament.

This is the #1 guy https://rotogrinders.com/profiles/maxdalury

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

shouldn't be too hard for veteran cappers to get in there and take fan boy $
    i have someone on it.
    haven't bothered yet either, tho....getting interested.

shaunovery
    shaunovery's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Treat it as fun

CWD
    Update your status

"Normally a horse and football gambler, a friend of mine last month spent $20 to pick six golfers in DraftKings’ British Open pool. He had Zach Johnson, the winner, and Louis Oosthuizen, who was second. He figured he might have cashed or come close.
    “I finished in about 2,500th place,” he said. “That’s all the info I could generate.”
    It cost him 20 bucks — cheap — for the lesson. His fling was one and done. I suspect similar lessons are about to be learned by thousands for millions. If and when the day comes, those left holding the empty bag will richly deserve it."

http://nypost.com/2015/08/13/how-do-...-arent-a-scam/

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

i suppose the biggest profit would be in successfully predicting the unexpected
    but there seems to be a lot of cake in this
    so let's see some specific research
    thanks in advance

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

98% not profitable

too many pros with auto programming math computations cannot beat them

CWD
    Update your status

possibly syndicates as well? if you are one person going against that you might as well flush your money

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

No probably not worth your time. Vig is way too high, 10%, better off betting games. Bonuses are just a small rebate on the vig, so nothing to get excited about. Also need to do a ton of homework each day. If you are looking to play for serious money you'll be playing against statisticians, and they'll enter ever contest so kind of hard to avoid them. If you want to play one of the lottery ticket tournaments with huge prizes and thousands of entries you'd have better odds with 10 team parlays. Any winnings over $600 you gotta give fill out irs forms.

Those are the negatives, the positives are it can be fun and if you already follow the sport closely enough you can grind out a profit, I'd suggest the three mans or 50/50 games to get the hang of it. Payouts through paypal super fast. Doing the homework for DF can sometimes help when handicapping for sports bets. And you can get lucky and win huge.

I don't play anymore, but it did make the games more interesting to watch. Even garbage time is fun if you have players on the field.

edit: Baseball you can do stacks with a lot of players from one team close to each other in the batting order. Not a lot of homework and if that team scores 10+ runs you'll have a good shot in the big tournaments. You can enter for a few bucks and have a shot to win decent money if you get lucky. Other sports aren't so easy to set a lottery ticket type lineup.
    Last edited by Kindred; 09-01-15 at 05:34 PM.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
    No probably not worth your time. Vig is way too high, 10%, better off betting games. Bonuses are just a small rebate on the vig, so nothing to get excited about. Also need to do a ton of homework each day. If you are looking to play for serious money you'll be playing against statisticians, and they'll enter ever contest so kind of hard to avoid them. If you want to play one of the lottery ticket tournaments with huge prizes and thousands of entries you'd have better odds with 10 team parlays. Any winnings over $600 you gotta give fill out irs forms.

Those are the negatives, the positives are it can be fun and if you already follow the sport closely enough you can grind out a profit, I'd suggest the three mans or 50/50 games to get the hang of it. Payouts through paypal super fast. Doing the homework for DF can sometimes help when handicapping for sports bets. And you can get lucky and win huge.

I don't play anymore, but it did make the games more interesting to watch. Even garbage time is fun if you have players on the field.

edit: Baseball you can do stacks with a lot of players from one team close to each other in the batting order. Not a lot of homework and if that team scores 10+ runs you'll have a good shot in the big tournaments. You can enter for a few bucks and have a shot to win decent money if you get lucky. Other sports aren't so easy to set a lottery ticket type lineup.
    Great post

Sure its fun once in a while but do not waste too much time on it

good on slow betting days or golf tourneys

CWD
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Great post

Sure its fun once in a while but do not waste too much time on it

good on slow betting days or golf tourneys
    wasnt zach johnson 70-1 before the open? and ousthuizen was in the 30-1 range, so to have both those guys on your team and not even cash and to be 2500th place, golf looks like a waste of time as well.

CanuckG

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post
    wasnt zach johnson 70-1 before the open? and ousthuizen was in the 30-1 range, so to have both those guys on your team and not even cash and to be 2500th place, golf looks like a waste of time as well.
    Because a bunch of other people had him. Key is having the winner plus four others who placed top 10 that hopefully not many chose. Need to get lucky.

CWD
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Because a bunch of other people had him. Key is having the winner plus four others who placed top 10 that hopefully not many chose. Need to get lucky.
    so you pretty much have to have all longshots and have them all get in top 10. sounds like a lot of fun. if top 10 is all upper echelon than you are going to have a what 10,000 way tie?

CanuckG

so you pretty much have to have all longshots and have them all get in top 10. sounds like a lot of fun. if top 10 is all upper echelon than you are going to have a what 10,000 way tie?
    Unlikely that many people but yeah. Very rare to see all the favourites hit the board that's why there's usually 1-2 winners who tie

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Unless you don't have a job, live in your mother's basement and have time to pour over every possible permutation of the fantasy possibility you are considering, stay away. If you wanna play for a few bucks for fun, ok. If you are interested in making big cash, be ready to put in some time.

chalkman777
    chalkman777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3177

i like playing NFL head2head. i won a couple dimes last year. baseball is tuff as hell. stay away

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14174

JJGOLD nailed it these big ballers have huge bankrolls backers venture capital and use advanced algorithms i just play freerolls and the micro $0.25 contests p.s. that post re the new york post newspaper article is something i have considered for awhile now i.e. whole thing a scam mark my words one of these days a bunch of guys will hire some sharp harvard lawyers and sue everybody ftom day 0ne

bob6199
    bob6199's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2477

if you know what you are doing (which is NOT anyone on this site) daily is so easy to rake during the NFL year. 50/50's are the way to go. I made more doing daily then actual betting in NFL last year.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by agendaman View Post
    JJGOLD nailed it these big ballers have huge bankrolls backers venture capital and use advanced algorithms i just play freerolls and the micro $0.25 contests p.s. that post re the new york post newspaper article is something i have considered for awhile now i.e. whole thing a scam mark my words one of these days a bunch of guys will hire some sharp harvard lawyers and sue everybody ftom day 0ne

yes pure waste of time

Small players get chewed alive

zacharyj53
    zacharyj53's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by bob6199 View Post
    if you know what you are doing (which is NOT anyone on this site) daily is so easy to rake during the NFL year. 50/50's are the way to go. I made more doing daily then actual betting in NFL last year.

What are 50/50's?

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14174

50/50's mean if you play say a $5 contest and win you should get back $10 BUT the rake gets you back $9

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Just started it back during the NBA playoffs.. Only put $20 on draftkings and fanduel, each, to test it out. Ended up winning ~$600 on draftkings and losing the $20 on FanDuel during the NBA playoffs. Tried baseball a couple times, but with so many games and everything going, it's a crap shoot.

When the winning teams for baseball are filled with guys who hit 5 HR's all year, but all managed to hit one on the same day.

Basketball was pretty easy, only got a few weeks worth in because I joined so late, but usually won for the day and did hit a $400 payday on a $1 entry. Didn't get to try college basketball.

Definitely looking forward to the college football season and NFL.

My friend has won a decent amount with MMA, but he doesn't bet. IMO he would be better off just betting/parlaying his MMA picks, as you pretty much have to get all 5 fighters to win if you want to do well in MMA, so a 5 person parlay would pay better.

It does seem that the less games there are, the better your chances are (if you know what you're doing). My largest win for NBA was in the conference semis. Less teams playing that day means less chance that the minimum salary guy that was used as a filler goes off.
    Last edited by astro61200; 09-07-15 at 04:45 AM.

jjgold

Its getting bigger and bigger which make sit harder to win

Easier to pick 1 game with a bet on it and win even if $10

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Not Worth it. Lottery ticket.

StillSmokin
    StillSmokin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Quote Originally Posted by zacharyj53 View Post
    What are 50/50's?
    Top 50% of entries win the pool. Doesn't matter if you are first or middle of the pack, you essentially double your money. This is the safest way to play dfs. Tournaments can be fun if you have money to waste, but only top 10% usually cash on those.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

This is the formula to winning today.

Niese is crappy against right handed hitting, Washington is starting Werth leading off, you have right handed hitting Rendon and Dessmond in the middle infield, Ramos behind the dish, Zimmerman batting cleanup at 1B

Washington starts - Max, who should be automatic, trick is you have to find cheap hitting because Max's salary is sky high.
    Same with Sale, he's going to give you beau coup fantasy points, thing is to find cheap hitting also,his price is big also.

Baltimore starts Chen - He has given up a whopping 23 homers to right handed batters this year, load up with Yankee righties that have some power, a sneaky good play would be Steven Drew at 2B.

Yanks start Pineda, he's worth a look at a nice price.

Tampa versus Detroit features two crappy southpaws.
    Smyly and Wolf.

Right handed sticks murder Wolf - TB middle of the order is not expensive and loaded with value (Longoria-Forsythe-Cabrera)
    Right handed batters have hit 7 homers off of Smyly in 7 starts this year, right handed batters usually take Smyly deep.
    Tigers have the greatest right handed hitting home run hitter in the game, some guy named Miggy, plus Kinsler can rake, and JD Martinez, etc etc etc

Reds DeSclafani struggles against right handed batters a little too.
    They hit .282 off the Reds starter.
    McCuthchen, Marte, and the rest of the Pirates righties are worth a look
    Pirates start Locke, a lefty that gets hit hard by other lefties, Can you sayJay Bruce and Joey Votto?

Blue Jays start Buerle, a southpaw that is having a nice season, however Red Sox have had success versus LHP lately, stay away.
    Sox start Porcello, left handed bats KILL him. Load up on Blue Jay left handed bats.

There, I broke down down the 1pm and 1:30 pm games for you.

Here are your bestr options at each postion.

Catcher
    Posey and Rosario and Ramos

First Base
    Miggy and Zimmerman and Ryan Howard and Joey Votto

Second Base
    Rendon and Forsythe and Kinsler and Coughlan

Third Base
    Longoria and Travis Shaw

SS
    Correa and Boegarts

OF
    Cain, Upton, Young, Werth, JD Martines, list is endless today

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    98% not profitable

too many pros with auto programming math computations cannot beat them
    Yeah, you are not going to beat the sharks long term in DFS.

"In the first half of the 2015 MLB season, 91 percent of DFS player profits were won by just 1.3 percent of players."
    From this article here:
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...sy-Sports.aspx

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

Hey, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted in here -- appreciate the advice and explanations!

Still not sure whether to try it, but I probably will just to be a part of it. These Draft Kings a-holes have blitzed every single bit of ad space in the entire city of Boston with their fukking ads. Which 50% makes me want to go to their offices with a baseball bat, and 50% makes me want to ante up to see what the fukking deal is. But experience tells me that if they're spending this much on advertising, I'm a sucker to take the bait.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by bob6199 View Post
    Then how did you make any money last year since you post here?

Dumb shit.

Chong Wizard
    Chong Wizard's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's fun but it's totally some lottery ticket shit

bob6199
    bob6199's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2477

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Then how did you make any money last year since you post here?

Dumb shit.

. Thanks for proving my point. This site man......

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3423

possibly syndicates as well? if you are one person going against that you might as well flush your money
    This is true.