MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11153

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    Some writers left off RJ and Pedro to vote for other players. https://twitter.com/mikeberardino/status/549394816657022977

That silly rule of voting for a max of 10 players per year.
    I don't mind the max of 10 players. Everybody doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

The Reds had 3 writers votes and 2 of them didn't even vote Smoltz.

2016 will be a slam dunk for Ken Griffey Jr.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Blue jays sign 15 year old Vlad Gurerro jr

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    Tim Hudson's ankle injury should push Giants back into pitching market

By Mike Axisa | Baseball Writer

January 6, 2015 5:44 pm ET

Tim Hudson had ankle surgery on Tuesday. (USATSI)Veteran right-hander Tim Hudson underwent surgery to remove bone spurs from his right ankle and will need eight weeks for recovery, the San Francisco Giants announced Tuesday.
    The Giants have not yet announced when their pitchers and catchers will report to spring training, but either way the eight-week timetable means Hudson will be out until early March. He's going to miss the start of spring training and will be behind the other pitchers in camp, meaning the start of his regular season is in danger of being delayed as well.
    This isn't good news for the defending World Series champion Giants, who were in need of pitching help even before Hudson's surgery. Their rotation depth chart without Hudson currently looks like this:

1. Madison Bumgarner (Stud)
    2. Matt Cain (Coming off elbow and ankle surgey)
    3. Jake Peavy (Healthy)
    4. Tim Lincecum (74 ERA+ in 2014 and lost his rotation spot in August)
    5. Yusmeiro Petit (Healthy, has been a revelation since arriving in San Francisco)

The only other starting pitchers on the team's 40-man roster are Chris Heston, who threw 5 1/3 innings during his MLB debut in September, and Joan Gregorio, who had a 4.37 ERA across two levels of Single-A ball in 2014. Rotation depth is clearly an issue.
    The Giants were involved in the bidding for Jon Lester and they have been linked to James Shields this offseason, but I would be surprised if Hudson's surgery resulted in the club making a nine-figure investment in Shields or Max Scherzer. That would be quite the knee-jerk reaction. The Giants clearly have to do something, though.
    More than likely, Hudson's injury will push the Giants back into the free agent market for lower cost pitchers. Former Giant Ryan Vogelsong is still unsigned, and I have to think his chances of returning to the team just improved. Chad Billinglsey, Scott Baker, Brandon Beachy, Paul Maholm, Roberto Hernandez and Chris Young are among the available free agent starters, though several of them (Billingsley, Beachy, Maholm) are coming off injuries themselves.
    The good news is the Giants have time to find rotation help. They've proven they are adept at finding quality minor league free agents (Vogelsong, Petit, Gregor Blanco, etc.) and can build depth that way. I would bet they were planning to do that before Hudson got hurt. They still have a few weeks to improve the rotation, though Hudson's injury is a reminder of just how vulnerable the starting staff is in the first place.

With the HOF talk going, do you think Hudson is HOF worthy. Had this debate with someone last year. He's got some solid numbers (214-124 and 3.45 ERA). But outside his first 3 years, he's never won more than 17 games in a year. I've always seen him as a good solid pitcher, but never great.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

If Hudson is Hall worthy, so is Mussina

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Neither are HOF worthy.

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

Who said Hudson is hall
    Worthy???

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Robber View Post
    Who said Hudson is hall
    Worthy???
    post #38.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!

i didn't say he was worthy, but a coworker was debating that with me last year. at the time he was expecting him to get 240-250 wins before his career is over. obviously with the injury this year that could be in jeopardy.

i was saying he was very solid, but not hall worthy. he made the point that after him, there is no one hall worthy for some time. i just looked and he's right. verlander (152 wins) and felix (125 wins) are really the only next two that were elite pitchers. (unless you count sabathia in - very similar numbers to hudson). verlander may not go down as great as he's really tailed off the last couple of years.

just looked at mussina's numbers, and him and schilling will probably be the best pitcher on the board for the next few years until he falls off the ballot. oh...other than roger clemens.
    Last edited by mpaschal34; 01-07-15 at 11:45 PM.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 451

HOT STOVE RUMORS
    LHP Johan Santana: Will throw 40 pitches or three innings in winter ball next week as he attempts a comeback. (Jon Heyman)
    OF Ichiro Suzuki: Drawing interest from three teams. (USA Today)
    OF Dayron Varona: Varona, a free agent Cuban outfielder, will hold a showcase for teams on January 20. (MLB.com)
    Giants: Spoke to the Marlins about RHP Dan Haren earlier this offseason, before they re-signed RHP Jake Peavy. (Fox Sports)
    Padres: Likely to hang onto OF Will Venable. (San Diego Union-Tribune)
    Reds: Have made no progress in contract extension talks with RHP Johnny Cueto. (Fox Sports)
    INJURY UPDATES
    Rangers: LHP Matt Harrison (back) threw for the first time since having surgery in May. He made 65 throws from 30-40 feet. Harrison is hoping to pitch sometime in 2015. (Fort Worth Star Telegram)

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Gaby Sanchez going to Japan to play this year

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    With the HOF talk going, do you think Hudson is HOF worthy. Had this debate with someone last year. He's got some solid numbers (214-124 and 3.45 ERA). But outside his first 3 years, he's never won more than 17 games in a year. I've always seen him as a good solid pitcher, but never great.
    No way is Hudson HOF worthy. But then again, I was very surprised that John Smoltz was elected this year.

John Smoltz a Major League Baseball Hall of Famer? Really? I just have to shake my head.

John Smoltz is a HOF'er, but Pete Rose is not? Give me a break!

I'll continue to believe that the MLB HOF has unfortunately become very watered down.

In my opinion, the HOF is for "exceptional, above and beyond talent" NOT "very good" talent.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanStallion View Post
    I don't mind the max of 10 players. Everybody doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

The Reds had 3 writers votes and 2 of them didn't even vote Smoltz.
    The two that have a clue!

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Blue jays sign 15 year old Vlad Gurerro jr
    Wow! That's like, what, 9th grade?

HOT STOVE RUMORS
    LHP Johan Santana: Will throw 40 pitches or three innings in winter ball next week as he attempts a comeback. (Jon Heyman)
    OF Ichiro Suzuki: Drawing interest from three teams. (USA Today)
    OF Dayron Varona: Varona, a free agent Cuban outfielder, will hold a showcase for teams on January 20. (MLB.com)
    Giants: Spoke to the Marlins about RHP Dan Haren earlier this offseason, before they re-signed RHP Jake Peavy. (Fox Sports)
    Padres: Likely to hang onto OF Will Venable. (San Diego Union-Tribune)
    Reds: Have made no progress in contract extension talks with RHP Johnny Cueto. (Fox Sports)
    INJURY UPDATES
    Rangers: LHP Matt Harrison (back) threw for the first time since having surgery in May. He made 65 throws from 30-40 feet. Harrison is hoping to pitch sometime in 2015. (Fort Worth Star Telegram)
    Good stuff as always, EM!

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Gaby Sanchez going to Japan to play this year
    Interesting...

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstop View Post
    Until Pete Rose is inducted I can't take the HOF seriously!

Also: Bonds, Clemens, Sosa and McGwire deserve to be inducted in the near future.

Hopefully, it's just a matter of time...
    Agree 100% on all accounts

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

No way is Hudson HOF worthy. But then again, I was very surprised that John Smoltz was elected this year.

John Smoltz a Major League Baseball Hall of Famer? Really? I just have to shake my head.

John Smoltz is a HOF'er, but Pete Rose is not? Give me a break!

I'll continue to believe that the MLB HOF has unfortunately become very watered down.

In my opinion, the HOF is for "exceptional, above and beyond talent" NOT "very good" talent.
    The Pete Rose thing is a totally different issue.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    The Pete Rose thing is a totally different issue.
    It doesn't have to be and it shouldn't be.

I don't want to get in a big discussion about it because I've stated my stance on this issue many times before.

Andy, do you believe that Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame?

stevenash

Smoltz belongs.
    213 wins and 157 saves gets you in, considering he only blew 15 save opps.

MexicanStallion

Smoltz belongs.
    213 wins and 157 saves gets you in, considering he only blew 15 save opps.
    Obviously he belongs. Nobody else has done that in baseball history.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

It doesn't have to be and it shouldn't be.

I don't want to get in a big discussion about it because I've stated my stance on this issue many times before.

Andy, do you believe that Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame?
    The player yes - but I have no sympathy for him. I think he's a piece of shit and deserves to be kept out. He lied for years about gambling.

I also think he's just about the most over-rated baseball player in history.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

The player yes - but I have no sympathy for him. I think he's a piece of shit and deserves to be kept out. He lied for years about gambling.

I also think he's just about the most over-rated baseball player in history.
    We agree on this but can agree to disagree on the rest.

Rose, a switch hitter, is the all-time Major League leader in hits (4,256), games played (3,562), at-bats (14,053), singles (3,215), and outs (10,328).[1] He won three World Series rings, three batting titles, one Most Valuable Player Award, two Gold Gloves, the Rookie of the Year Award, and also made 17 All-Star appearances at an unequaled five different positions (2B, LF, RF, 3B, & 1B).

Not sure how you can say Rose is "over-rated" based on the above...

There have been many guys inducted recently that can't hold a candle to his career stats...

I couldn't care less if he gambled on baseball, Pete Rose is one of the best to ever play the game!

Regardless Andy, I value your thoughts here and think you're a good guy! Cheers to you!

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

We agree on this but can agree to disagree on the rest.

Rose, a switch hitter, is the all-time Major League leader in hits (4,256), games played (3,562), at-bats (14,053), singles (3,215), and outs (10,328).[1] He won three World Series rings, three batting titles, one Most Valuable Player Award, two Gold Gloves, the Rookie of the Year Award, and also made 17 All-Star appearances at an unequaled five different positions (2B, LF, RF, 3B, & 1B).

Not sure how you can say Rose is "over-rated" based on the above...

There have been many guys inducted recently that can't hold a candle to his career stats...

I couldn't care less if he gambled on baseball, Pete Rose is one of the best to ever play the game!

Regardless Andy, I value your thoughts here and think you're a good guy! Cheers to you!
    Lots of counting stats but to me he's a few steps below the best of the best.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!

plus smoltz was always bigtime in the playoffs. 15-4 (and 4 saves) with a 2.67 ERA.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Spring Training games begin on March 3rd.

EmpireMaker

Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder Friday, sources told FOXSports.com.
    Werth is expected to rehab for two to three months, which puts his availability for the start of the season in jeopardy.
    The Washington Post confirmed Werth will have AC joint repair surgery Friday. Rest was recommended when Werth first injured his shoulder last August, but the issue emerged during offseason workouts.
    In 2014, Werth hit .292 with 16 home runs and 82 RBI.

by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
    Wed, 07 Jan 2015 2:40 PM ET

Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth's appeal of his reckless driving conviction has been scheduled for a Feb. 3 jury trial in Fairfax County (Va.) General Circuit Court.
    In December, the 35-year-old Werth was found guilty of misdemeanor reckless driving for a July 6 incident. He was accused of going 105 miles per hour in a 55 mph zone. Judge Penney Azcarate sentenced him to 10 days in jail. Werth appealed the ruling.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    i didn't say he was worthy, but a coworker was debating that with me last year. at the time he was expecting him to get 240-250 wins before his career is over. obviously with the injury this year that could be in jeopardy.

i was saying he was very solid, but not hall worthy. he made the point that after him, there is no one hall worthy for some time. i just looked and he's right. verlander (152 wins) and felix (125 wins) are really the only next two that were elite pitchers. (unless you count sabathia in - very similar numbers to hudson). verlander may not go down as great as he's really tailed off the last couple of years.

just looked at mussina's numbers, and him and schilling will probably be the best pitcher on the board for the next few years until he falls off the ballot. oh...other than roger clemens.

I think what you'll see in 10 years, they'll be electing guys that wracked up alot of top 5 cy young finishes, and looking at WHIP, ERA, and other stats alot more than wins.

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

Sabbath is probably more worthy than Hudson

Probably would
    Say no to both

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder Friday, sources told FOXSports.com.
    Werth is expected to rehab for two to three months, which puts his availability for the start of the season in jeopardy.
    The Washington Post confirmed Werth will have AC joint repair surgery Friday. Rest was recommended when Werth first injured his shoulder last August, but the issue emerged during offseason workouts.

Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth's appeal of his reckless driving conviction has been scheduled for a Feb. 3 jury trial in Fairfax County (Va.) General Circuit Court.
    In December, the 35-year-old Werth was found guilty of misdemeanor reckless driving for a July 6 incident. He was accused of going 105 miles per hour in a 55 mph zone. Judge Penney Azcarate sentenced him to 10 days in jail. Werth appealed the ruling.
    And made 20 million USD

And will make 21 million in 2015, 2016, & 2017.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
    And made 20 million USD

Lots of players get too much money, get used to it.

MexicanStallion

That is true. Marginal pitchers who have a 4.50 era are basically $10-15 million dollar per year pitchers.

stevenash

I'm hearing Max to Angels now, LA very worried about injuries to starting pitching.

EmpireMaker

And made 20 million USD

At least he will make good money while he is spending his 10 days in jail.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

And made 20 million USD

Yeah, and next year he'll be elected into the MLB Hall of Fame!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

he has a great beard for jail

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Yeah, and next year he'll be elected into the MLB Hall of Fame!

MexicanStallion

I'm hearing Max to Angels now, LA very worried about injuries to starting pitching.
    I'm a little surprised it has taken so long for Sherzer to find a home. I originally thought he would have been signed by the end of last year.

First 12345 ... Last