freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6483

Need some fantasy baseball advice

My pitching is solid and is carrying my team, but damn does my offense suck. My outfield in particular needs some big time help. 12 teams with very deep rosters so the available FAs are trash. However two big time prospects tavares and polanco are still available. I'm wondering which one (or even both) should I pick up and who to drop

My OF looks like this
    -Stanton
    -billy hamilton
    -revere
    -springer
    -viciedo
    -Chris young
    -harper(DL) penetrate this guy

I really want both polanco and tavares and my pitching is good enough to get me by until the call ups. What would you do?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

I'd go with Polanco and drop Hamilton

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6483

I can't drop hamilton. My league is h2h and I try to win steals everyweek. Plus I'm not ready to admit I made a mistake drafting him so early lol

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 350

Try to pick up some guys on the Rockies

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

I thought Hamilton was on the DL

but it appears that he has been hitting pretty good as of late, so I'd agree its not time to drop him

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

thats a horrible OF for a 12 team league, No way Springer should be in your roster drop him ASAP.

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy
    dudekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

really? i dont think this is THAT horrible of an OF at all...giancarlo stanton is beasting right now, so you obviously will want to keep him in there. billy hamilton when healthy will be fine, he will swipe a lot of bags and score a bunch of runs hitting at the top of that order. dayan viciedo is my favorite sleeper right now, not a lot of people know about him but he has some serious pop and once the weather heats up at cellular field his bat should really get going. the rest of your guys aren't anything special, springer is an intriguing prospect but is still struggling, and revere is meh, maybe will help ur average. once harper comes back thats pretty solid too, i actually just traded for him for pretty cheap in my league. its a long season man. i would probably drop chris young out of those guys, he competes for playing time with granderson, bobby abreu, juan lagares, eric young, so it is pretty crowded there. i dont think the cards will have problems scoring runs for much longer, they are too good not to score, but tavares might be the better option of the two although its pretty close. then again, i am partial to guys who dont strike out all the time, and tavares doesnt, so thats my opinion. either way though you would have to wait until either gets called up which could be in june.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Pirates reportedly offered Polanco a 7 year deal recently. They believe on him that much

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy

thats actually misguided. the pirates offered him a 7 year deal reportedly worth 25 million which is a joke. in comparison, guys like a-rod, pujols, etc, make 25 million a YEAR for 7+ years. he turned it down because if he even performs close to the level he is projected to, he will make MUCH more than that. the pirates have made it very clear they dont want to call up polanco too early due to his super-2 status. its a shame too because it will probably cost them a playoff spot lol

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by dudekid View Post
    thats actually misguided. the pirates offered him a 7 year deal reportedly worth 25 million which is a joke. in comparison, guys like a-rod, pujols, etc, make 25 million a YEAR for 7+ years. he turned it down because if he even performs close to the level he is projected to, he will make MUCH more than that. the pirates have made it very clear they dont want to call up polanco too early due to his super-2 status. its a shame too because it will probably cost them a playoff spot lol

polanco could not carry them to a playoff spot

is the guy gonna have a 10 WAR in the span of 2-3 weeks? or even if he had started out the season and performed with his AAA numbers he'd still not even have them at a .500 level

Pirates need pitching just as bad as a RF-er

deal was a smart idea, guys like Polanco won't be looking at serious cash for another 5 years, so to get some up front millions can be very tempting. its a risk from both sides.

but Marte with his less than 2 seasons experience orginally turned down a deal then 2 days later inked a very similar one. we don't know how close they are.

I'm sure Polanco's family could use him making a few million this year, as opposed to 150k or whatever until 2019

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy

fair point, I dont mean to say that polanco could single handedly carry them to a playoff spot, but he certainly couldn't hurt their chances replacing the likes of travis snider (.211 avg

also, their pitching was good last year and better this year....liriano, volquez, burnett, a good closer in melancon, i still think they can compete

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by dudekid View Post
    fair point, I dont mean to say that polanco could single handedly carry them to a playoff spot, but he certainly couldn't hurt their chances replacing the likes of travis snider (.211 avg

also, their pitching was good last year and better this year....liriano, volquez, burnett, a good closer in melancon, i still think they can compete
    ?????

their pitching overachieved last year.... This year they suck, the starters are 2nd to last in ERA for the NL

Burnett? yeah he pitches for the phillies now

point is...... Polanco will be up soon, and he has a chance to be very good

volquez really gonna continue to do what he is doing???? I hope so, but doubt it
    Last edited by Chi_archie; 05-07-14 at 09:14 PM.