BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Kiper has ties to certain agents and pumps up certain guys every year....not saying Manziel is one of em
    100% accurate. Guy makes a pack of napkins per year reporting for ESPN.
    You really think it takes much to get this guy to put a plug a few guys?
    Manziel should go to the Texans either way.
    They have no QB and there's no one out there plus they suck.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Also, it's somewhat dismissive to just lump Manziel in with the "mobile quarterbacks" crowd. Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck are mobile. Cam Newton and RGIII even more so. But the closest comparison you can make in characterizing Manziel's ability to scoot, as far as quarterbacks, would be Michael Vick in his prime. Off the field troubles aside, Vick has had a pretty decent career as an NFL quarterback.

The fact of the matter is Johnny Football is in a class of his own, in terms of mobility at the quarterback position. He is without peer. His ability to start and stop, or cut on a dime is more on the order of a Reggie Bush or Desean Jackson, but without the pure straightaway speed.
    Manziel definitely has the metrics to succeed in the NFL. But as a #1 overall pick, I think he will disappoint. Wilson, Luck, & Newton are all guys that changed their tendencies to some degree when they reached the NFL, generally relying far less on plays made outside of the pocket. Newton is the only one of them that still frequently runs the ball and those tend to be more designed QB draws with a lead blocker than scrambles, where he's the battering ram rather than the target. Big difference. We've seen what happened to RG3 when he continued to put himself in the position to take big hits, series after series, game after game. That's what happens to mobile QBs (Manziel included) if they don't adapt for the next level.

If Manziel can make the transition that Wilson did, supported by a strong running game, and protects himself from taking hits, then he could be dominant in Houston. But when it comes down to his value as a first rounder, it's his intelligence and adaptability that matter. Not his mobility.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    Manziel definitely has the metrics to succeed in the NFL. But as a #1 overall pick, I think he will disappoint. Wilson, Luck, & Newton are all guys that changed their tendencies to some degree when they reached the NFL, generally relying far less on plays made outside of the pocket. Newton is the only one of them that still frequently runs the ball and those tend to be more designed QB draws with a lead blocker than scrambles, where he's the battering ram rather than the target. Big difference. We've seen what happened to RG3 when he continued to put himself in the position to take big hits, series after series, game after game. That's what happens to mobile QBs (Manziel included) if they don't adapt for the next level.

If Manziel can make the transition that Wilson did, supported by a strong running game, and protects himself from taking hits, then he could be dominant in Houston. But when it comes down to his value as a first rounder, it's his intelligence and adaptability that matter. Not his mobility.
    Watching Manziel's transition from his first year to his second year, there were some noticeable changes. He made more of an effort to make plays in the passing game downfield. He made more of an effort to go through his reads and use his legs to buy time to make the plays in the passing game versus what he would he have done in his first year. Many of the mobile running QB's would make one read and just maybe two, then cut and run. Manziel did much better going through all his progressions and then use his legs to buy more time for the big pass plays and more reluctant to just run at the first sign of trouble. I think that's what a lot of the scouts are seeing in his game, that he is willing to adapt his game and that he can be more than just a running QB and that he can be a QB that can make the big plays even when a play breaks down. The questions still remain though, can he continue to adapt and mature as a QB and can he because of his size, endure the pounding at the next level. He's definitely one of those high risk, high reward players. I think he will be either really good and a star or be a bust, don't think he will be one of those in-between types.

boondoggle
    99.82% of forum posters are idiots
    boondoggle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

LOL...manziel is too small for the NFL let alone #1 pick...

Avg QB height is 6'3"...and before you start yapping about seahawks QB...there are exceptions to all rules...manziel is not one of them.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Johnny Football will rule the world soon.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2714

who can ever forget Mel Kiper blasting the Colts selection of LB Trev Alberts in 1994 and Colts Vice President Bill Tobin epic rant and firing back at Kiper!...

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Total crapshoot.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 451

I would trade the 1st pick for a top 10 1st round and a high 2nd and maybe a pick from next year.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Texans should just take Clowney, him and Watt would be so sick.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Mel Kiper = Bozo

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    I agree he's the best player in the draft. But realistically they have nobody at qb

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    i agree too.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 350

After Russel Wilson winning the superbowl. Teams might think that Johnny can do it. I don't see them as the same. Texans should take Clowny

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

Mel Kiper is the most overhyped, worthless analyst that's ever lived; who cares what he thinks?

Vinnie Paz

Manziel is a mobile/running qb any way you slice it. People always assume mobile qb = bad, that's why they don't want to "label" him that but he is a mobile qb

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Johnny way better passer than most other QB's coming out as well.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

all the qb's are overrated this year, there is such a lack of good qb's so many teams need them

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1896

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell88 View Post
    all the qb's are overrated this year, there is such a lack of good qb's so many teams need them
    The QBs from last years draft was the most overrated in 10 years.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    After Russel Wilson winning the superbowl. Teams might think that Johnny can do it. I don't see them as the same. Texans should take Clowny
    but the Seahawks won the Super Bowl in spite of Wilson not b/c of him.

You could argue of all the starters on the Seahawks , Wilson is the weakest link.

That being said Wilson is a team player and Johnny Football is a "Me First " player

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3329

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    but the Seahawks won the Super Bowl in spite of Wilson not b/c of him.

You could argue of all the starters on the Seahawks , Wilson is the weakest link.

That being said Wilson is a team player and Johnny Football is a "Me First " player
    Wilson played well in the game.Question for you. Would you take Newton or Wilson? IMO Wilson > Newton.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    Wilson played well in the game.Question for you. Would you take Newton or Wilson? IMO Wilson > Newton.
    Cam Newton every day and twice on Sunday.

nah i must say i am biased b/c the Panthers are my home town team.

Russel Wilson is good though i'm just saying several QB's could have won the super bowl with his supporting cast.

Wilson mentally is years ahead of Manziel.

IMO Wilson benifeted from playing several years of minor league baseball.
    He is used to pressure situations and he knows how to act like a professional.

Rangers901
    Rangers901's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm convinced most people haven't even watched Johnny Football play more than a couple of games, it's quite easy to see with the lack of knowledge displayed in this thread.

Was JF a great college QB, yes, but what made him so successful?

I can tell you that he is, by far, the luckiest QB I've seen play in my lifetime. His arm strength is completely over rated. Has anyone watched more than a handful of his deep balls? A lot of them are weak, inaccurate passes where his receiver was either wide open because of a break down in coverage due to 5-8 seconds of scrambling, or his receiver wins him a jump ball against weak corners.

One of the biggest differences from the NFL to college ball IMO, is the talent discrepancy at the CB position. In college, most corners are simply not smart enough to play the position. In the NFL, JF can't rely on constant break down in coverage due to scrambling because the corners will hold their position, and the game is played 100x's faster, so scrambling itself is a much more daunting task.

He's not the greatest at reading defenses either. There were numerous times where he'd have his 3rd, 4th, and 5th options wide open, but was way too quick to tuck the ball and run, or scramble looking for his 1st and 2nd option.

I wish I had time to keep going but I don't.

I think the Texans should take a page out of the Seahawks book and continue to build their defense. They can either draft Clowney, or they could trade the #1 pick for a bunch of other picks and continue building. The NFL draft is so unique compared to other sports because it's so deep, and 4th, 5th, and 6th rounders are granted opportunities in their first season year after year.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

If Houston doesn't take Clowney or trade down they are about as dumb as Cowboys. None of the qb's are worth the #1 pick. Bridgewater appears to be best of bunch. Bortles is the Ponder of 2014.

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Quote Originally Posted by Rangers901 View Post
    I'm convinced most people haven't even watched Johnny Football play more than a couple of games, it's quite easy to see with the lack of knowledge displayed in this thread.

I can tell you that he is, by far, the luckiest QB I've seen play in my lifetime. His arm strength is completely over rated. Has anyone watched more than a handful of his deep balls? A lot of them are weak, inaccurate passes where his receiver was either wide open because of a break down in coverage due to 5-8 seconds of scrambling, or his receiver wins him a jump ball against weak corners.
    I thought that too. But according to guys that have seen him practice his arm strength is very good. The main thing in the NFL is being able to read defenses. Drew Brees is a great NFL QB and the same size. Durability is the only question mark.

Tough spot for Houston. I would definitely be tempted to trade down. There are a lot of good players available late in the 1st and high 2nd. If they could get 3 low 1's/high 2's for that pick they should take it.

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Kiper and the other draft guy are just puppets for NFL teams to feed misinformation through.

The Texans would be dumb imo to bank on Manziel.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Houston should trade down. Manziel is not nearly as good as the Texas homers make him out to be. Clowney is a head case who is also suseptable to injuries. He plays when he wants to play. Neither player meits a #1 pick. Let some dumb team like Cleveland pick one of these guys up.

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2714

Well, for what it's worth, former Texans DC Wade Phillips is pretty high on Manziel and said that Houston should draft Manziel with the #1 pick!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ohnny-football

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

Vinnie Paz

Who cares what wade phillips says? He's a fkn DC and was an awful coach anyhow.

Vinnie Paz

Quote Originally Posted by Rangers901 View Post

One of the biggest differences from the NFL to college ball IMO, is the talent discrepancy at the CB position. In college, most corners are simply not smart enough to play the position. In the NFL, JF can't rely on constant break down in coverage due to scrambling because the corners will hold their position, and the game is played 100x's faster, so scrambling itself is a much more daunting task.

He's not the greatest at reading defenses either. There were numerous times where he'd have his 3rd, 4th, and 5th options wide open, but was way too quick to tuck the ball and run, or scramble looking for his 1st and 2nd option.

I wish I had time to keep going but I don't.

I think the Texans should take a page out of the Seahawks book and continue to build their defense. They can either draft Clowney, or they could trade the #1 pick for a bunch of other picks and continue building. The NFL draft is so unique compared to other sports because it's so deep, and 4th, 5th, and 6th rounders are granted opportunities in their first season year after year.
    Excellentpost!!! There's already concerns over his lack of arm strength and he makes awful decisions throwing the ball up for grabs all the time. Mike evans bailed his ass out numerous times. Not to mention he's had the best O line in CFB yet stil refuses to stand in the pocket

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    Wilson...but that's not really saying much.

Like asking if want Obama or bush...

Which one sucks less...
    Points Awarded:

Da Manster! gave k13 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Da Manster!

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3329

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Wilson...but that's not really saying much.

Like asking if want Obama or bush...

Which one sucks less...
    Have to agree with your political commentary.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24890

Well Bush and Obama are just two different pieces of the same puzzle. The next guy will be no different. The presidential race/term is all a big smokescreen. It's just political sleight of hand, misdirection if you will. It's a big elaborate ruse designed to occupy people's attention while the real power brokers of the world plot and scheme behind the curtain. So what difference does it make who's nametag resides in the Oval Office? The agenda has already been laid forth. Each succeeding White House puppet is simply at the mercy of the script.

But anyways, Johnny Football and stuff...........
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Roadtrip635

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19428

Houston skipped over Vince Young in 2006

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

O/U on how many times Kiper slots someone else to Texans before draft: 2.5

First 1234 Last