WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Early High School Enrollees

I'd like to know what you guys think about high school players enrolling early in college so they can go through spring training and practice. I have mixed feelings about this. Part of me thinks these kids should be allowed to enjoy the remainder of their senior year of high school. Then, I think of possible advantages of getting on campus early, learning the ropes before the big shock of campus life in the fall. Football practice and classes away from home is a bad deal for some of these kids.

Alabama (for example) will bring in WR Ronald Carswell, LB Trey DePriest, QB Phillip Ely, DL Wilson Love, LB Vinnie Sunseri and RB Demetrius Hart. Matter of fact, these kids are already enrolled and on campus. I can understand junior college kids coming in early; DL Quinton Dial, OL Aaron Douglas and DL Jesse Williams because the JUCO guys will have a chance to start. All the high school guys will be special team players at best next season. Some like QB Ely will be redshirted so why the hurry?

What's your lean on this one? or

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

It is very advantagous for both the player and the school. USC signed 28 players this season. They are on NCAA probation, and would be limminted to 25 even if they were not on probation. They were able to do this because 8 of these players enrolled early, and count on last years totals, NOT this years. As long as the student enrolls and addends classes before July 1 (not counting summer classes), he is counted in last years totals. So it becomes a numbers game for the school. It also stops the athlete from changing their minds in March or April.

The Athlete gets an extra spring to learn the playbook. While few will actually start, the battle for the back-up positions can be heated, and these athletes have an advantage over the ones entering in the fall. Basically, it is a win-win situation all around. USC loves it.

valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

I'm all for players getting in early.... and as far as them enjoying their last year of high school...... College is waaaaaaaaaaaay more fun.

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

and if that additional spring training session helps them get drafted, being a future pro will definitely out-weigh any "treasured high school memories".

bornselling
    bornselling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

What's your lean on this one?

WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

First Mr. B, I appreciate your love for college football. One of my friends ask me to tell you that SBR doesn't charge by the word. You are short and to the point my friend.

My lean: As a player I would be all for going to college early. As a parent, no, I want my kid to enjoy high school because whoever he signed with, ain't going anywhere. Some of these kids are not ready for college and a slower process will help them.

Thanks for your interest in college football bornselling.

bornselling
    bornselling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

It is very advantagous